Android head unit - Digital dash of sorts

04OWwhipple

Established Member
Another member here asked me about my "digital dash" type setup so I'm doing a write in case anybody else wants to know about it too. First off you will need to be a little tech savvy but it's pretty straight forward in my head.

I did my car this way as I don't want to go to a race dash for the gauges and I like to keep my car somewhat low key and original looking. This replaces the radio head unit with a aftermarket one that runs an Android operating system. This essentially is a tablet for a radio so any app you can get on the app store you can download and install on the radio. This enables you to get either a WIFI or bluetooth OBD adapter and stream data to an OBD app like Torque, Dashcommand, OBDLink, real dash, etc.

Be sure to get a good quality OBD adapter if you want this to work correctly. The WIFI adapters stream data with a faster refresh rate than the Bluetooth adapters. Bluetooth works great if you aren't trying to monitor data instantly, like ECT, ACT and things that move rather slowly but these lag a little bit when displaying RPM as that PID moves too fast for the bluetooth to transfer the data as the same speed. The WIFI adapter seems to track RPM pretty closely and doesn't seem to lag much from what I was using. I am using OBDLink MX bluetooth and OBDLink MX WiFi adapters right now to test things.

This will never be the same speeds as a hardwired connection to the OBD port, for example like an aeroforce interceptor gauge is but the WIFI adapter is damn close to it.

Next would be the head unit, the head unit need to be basically an android tablet head unit. I have an Xtrons brand unit in my E46 and am a huge fan of that particular product. The other big names hear are good but haven't used myself are Joying, Eonon, and AutoPumpkin.

Once installed, just plug the OBD adapter into the OBD port and connect the Android head unit to either the WIFI network or Bluetooth adapter and open the app you have chosen to view PIDS. Keeps the interior somewhat stock looking but allows you to see stuff that the ECU is seeing and commanding.

I have a cheap Ebay head unit in my car right now while I am testing all this stuff but will upgrade to an Xtrons unit in the near future. This is the one I would buy if I was going to purchase one today.
Double DIN | Android 9.0 | TBX709L

OBDLink's site:OBDLink® MX Bluetooth

Here is a few quick pics that i have on my phone while I am at work now.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

Last edited:

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
That looks awesome. Few questions do you still have a stereo? And how did you mount the tablet and did you hardwire the tablet so it’s always charging?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Love it. Thank you for posting because I think I was one that asked about it in another thread!
A full write up with mounting and everything would be great. I love how clean it looks and all the possibilities with it.

Thanks
Ken

04OWwhipple

Established Member
That looks awesome. Few questions do you still have a stereo? And how did you mount the tablet and did you hardwire the tablet so it’s always charging?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
It's not actually a tablet. It is just a double din universal radio running an Android system. So it is a stereo and everything but can do whatever apps you want to download.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

04OWwhipple

Established Member
Love it. Thank you for posting because I think I was one that asked about it in another thread!
A full write up with mounting and everything would be great. I love how clean it looks and all the possibilities with it.

Thanks
Ken
If you followed any double din radio install this would be the same as installing on of those. You would used a radio install harness from metra or schoche type of thing.

04OWwhipple

Established Member
Check this video out. This may clear up the confusion regarding the head unit itself. This is essentially what I have in my car now but just a different brand.

04OWwhipple

Established Member
Ahhh got it. Yeah I misunderstood and thought you had mounted an actual Android tablet.

Ken
Nah man, that is the beauty of it. You used to have to custom mount a tablet and then figure out how to also make it work with the car's existing sound system but now these head units make things so much easier and functional.

keith89

Established Member
have something similar running torque in my 03 cobra and 04 gt along with navi, music, etc. The mach460 is good for an oem system but in the audio world its crap. I gutted it all in both cars and ran new wiring, sub, woofers, tweeters, and amp. I used to run Pioneer stuff and even had a carputer in my old Focus until these android headunits came out. These are so much cheaper and much more versatile.

04OWwhipple

Established Member
Man this is pretty cool. Is that Dash Command the app your using to grab the OBD data?
I've played with a couple of apps out there including Dashcommand but I have been using the Torque app the most. That seems the most reliable.

04OWwhipple

Established Member
Wonder if this setup could replace a dual Aeroforce setup. That’s what I’m really thinking about doing.
Well for yourself or anyone else considering it, I would say to test it out. Buy a reputable OBD WIFI or Bluetooth adapter for $80 ish or so to get started. Download a few of the OBD apps on your phone and just play with it. If you like the operation, then spend the 300 ish dollars on a nice Android head unit and replace your current radio.

Users who are viewing this thread