Analyze This!!! : SVTP Checks Out Blackstone Labs' Oil Analysis

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
We have 5 samples to send out tomorrow. One for the used Explorer I bought (have no idea what it is or how long it was in there), two for the SVTP GT (factory oil with 1,500 miles on it and RP HPS 5w30 with 5,000 miles on it, 6,500 total miles on the car), and two more changes for the SVTP F-350 (both RP 15w40 with 5,000 miles on them and heavy towing).

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Got the reports back, but I screwed up on some of the info. They are making the changes and will be sending the updated reports soon.

I actually ran the 5w30 Royal Purple HPS for only 4,000 miles instead of 5,000. Not sure why I screwed up and changed it early. The next change will have 5,500 miles on it and then I'll be changing it every 5,000.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Thanks.

I just realized something. I sent those oil samples in last Friday and got the reports in yesterday afternoon. Considering that Monday was a holiday that let's me know that they received the samples, did the tests, and sent the report all in one day. My hat is off Blackstone on that one, it's very impressive service.

I was so impressed, in fact, that I was a bit skeptical. I thought perhaps they just fast tracked the samples because they were from SVTP. So I called up my contact at Blackstone and she assured me that is the same level of service all their customers receive. The only difference is that I sent the sample USPS Priority Mail, and she said any sample that are sent overnight or priority get bumped to the front of the line. So that's an advantage anyone can exploit.

If you're interested in testing your oil you can get a free test kit here:

Blackstone Labs

Also, in the next few months it is very possible that SVTP will be posting a tour of Blackstone Laboratories' facilities. :beer:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Here are the analyses from the 5 samples I sent in:

This is the oil that came in my used 2009 V8 Explorer that you've seen featured in other articles here on SVTP. I had no idea what the oil was (I guessed Motorcraft 5w30 since service records indicated it was serviced at a Ford dealership and it had a Motorcraft filter) or how long it had been in there. From the report though, it looks like both the engine and the oil were are in good shape.

Blackstone_001.jpg

This is the report from the SVTP GT with the factory oil (changed at 1,500 miles) and the Royal Purple HPS 5w30 (changed at 5,500 miles, 3,000 of which were Magnuson supercharged). The report indicates that the engine is breaking in nicely. I'll be running the current oil change (which is featured in this thread) for 5,500 miles.

Blackstone_002.jpg

We now have a few more changes on the SVTP F-350. The truck appears to still be breaking in a bit. It rarely leaves the garage unless it has a 9,000 lb trailer hooked to it. The truck will be featured in an SVTP article next week and will be receiving some additional mods in the near future.

Blackstone_003.jpg

I have received some requests for some reports from some new/unused oil samples. We may send some of those off when we get a chance.

Tex Arcana

Established Member
I have read somewhere that Royal Purple isn't anything special, not even front-line synthetic oil. I've never bought into the hype from the get-go, preferring to use Mobil1. So this'll be an interesting read, to say the least.:pop:

SirJAG

Established Member
UnleashedBeast could tell you better than I TEX,

but i would highly recommend talking to him. Moble 1 fully syn. IS NOT a group IV oil!

SirJAG

Established Member
as a follow up, the reg. line royal purple = Moble 1, the top tier royal purple is Group IV

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I have read somewhere that Royal Purple isn't anything special, not even front-line synthetic oil. I've never bought into the hype from the get-go, preferring to use Mobil1. So this'll be an interesting read, to say the least.:pop:

as a follow up, the reg. line royal purple = Moble 1, the top tier royal purple is Group IV
This is simply not true.

To clarify, Mobil 1 is a good oil, but it is basically a midpack synthetic oil.
There are better oils available and Royal Purple is by it's very business model intended to be the best of the best. We provide a significant advantage in anti wear protection from other API licensed oils including Mobil 1 due to higher quality state of the art high retention additives and the fact that we blend as close to the chemistry cap as possible, very few other oil companies do this.

ALL of our oils except for our break in oil, are a full synthetic oil. We use a proprietary blend of premium synthetic base oils including Groups IV and Group V.

Even our cheapest everyday API licensed SAE oils are going to be the finest examples of an API licensed chemistry restricted oil available anywhere.

I am also available for further details or Royal Purple related questions via email at [email protected]
or via toll free phone call 8-5 M-F central time @ 1-888-382-6300 ash for Jim in automotive technical support.

SirJAG

Established Member
None of you sub'd guys have an opinion on the lab results I posted a few days ago?

I dont even know how to read thoes things. i did however order three test kits yesterday, and today doing as much research as i can to understand the test process and what test results are actually telling us.

thank you very much for posting the information!

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I dont even know how to read thoes things. i did however order three test kits yesterday, and today doing as much research as i can to understand the test process and what test results are actually telling us.

thank you very much for posting the information!

Blackstone's site has a ton of info about what all the data in the report really means.

bmore1186

Established Member
Ok, so I just looked over all 3 of the reports and noticed that all 3 looked relatively good now. What I did notice though is that in most the boron levels were high. That element is usually either in detergents for ie. fuel or part of the structuring on the frames of vehicles. On the 5.0 is a oil separator installed after the first oil change? Seems like might be a factor in the ppm going down?

1hot281

Established Member
None of you sub'd guys have an opinion on the lab results I posted a few days ago?

On the HPS 5w30 report, the cSt Viscosity @ 100*C is 8.51? Considering the VOA's of this oil usually show visc above 11.0 cSt, that's some harsh shearing. It's under the 9.3 cSt cutoff for SAE 30 grade, making it a solid SAE 20 grade after 5,500 miles.

I'll wait for more info from Jimmy, but i don't know what to make of that...

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Ok, so I just looked over all 3 of the reports and noticed that all 3 looked relatively good now. What I did notice though is that in most the boron levels were high. That element is usually either in detergents for ie. fuel or part of the structuring on the frames of vehicles. On the 5.0 is a oil separator installed after the first oil change? Seems like might be a factor in the ppm going down?

It did get an oil sep installed.

On the HPS 5w30 report, the cSt Viscosity @ 100*C is 8.51? Considering the VOA's of this oil usually show visc above 11.0 cSt, that's some harsh shearing. It's under the 9.3 cSt cutoff for SAE 30 grade, making it a solid SAE 20 grade after 5,500 miles.

The oil actually had 4,000 miles on it. I haven't seen a VOA for 5w30 HPS, but I was going to send one in at some point.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

It did get an oil sep installed.

The oil actually had 4,000 miles on it. I haven't seen a VOA for 5w30 HPS, but I was going to send one in at some point.

I'm not implying this is what you are saying, but it is unfortunately a very prevalent assumption in oil analysis circles these days.
Assuming shearing is responsible for any and all drops in viscosity is just not accurate.

I'll check with my supervisor Chris and see if he'll weigh in when he get's a chance.

1hot281

Established Member
I'm not implying this is what you are saying, but it is unfortunately a very prevalent assumption in oil analysis circles these days.
Assuming shearing is responsible for any and all drops in viscosity is just not accurate.

I'll check with my supervisor Chris and see if he'll weigh in when he get's a chance.

I don't always jump to shearing as the cause of viscosity loss, but the analysis didn't really show much dilution from fuel or coolant.

On a different note, do you know the HTHS @ 150*C of HPS 5w30? Could thermal breakdown be a factor in the viscosity loss?

I'm currently running HPS 5w30 in my own car, so please don't take it as me bashing RP or anything. I'd really like to hear what you or any other experts think about this UOA.

Last edited:
Blackstone's site has a ton of info about what all the data in the report really means.

+1 they do a great job explaining things. I've used them in the past myself. As long as you send them a virgin sample, they do a fantastic job of giving you a good synopsis of the 'health' of your motor or any issues of concern. They also will let you know how far you can take your next drain interval to, based on the current analysis.

Users who are viewing this thread