An attempt to Fix the "Lazy Seat Belt" issue

westsideriderz1

Established Member
My 03 had lazy front seat belts on both sides so during an interior tear down, I pulled the seat belts.
Initially, I thought you could remove the belt from the spool easily, then load the spool with a few extra turns. However, It appears on this model, the seat belt was passed through the spool and then sewn together. There was no other way to remove the belt from the spool other then cut it at the end. So, with the help of a family member who has HD sewing machines for leather, we set about the mod. I only took one photo but hopefully it helps someone. We loaded the spools with 3 extra turns and then reassembled the belt, and sewed the end back to its self. One of my belts has an assembly to lock the belt regardless of pull, at maximum extension. The lock is shown here as well to help with reassembly. You may need to re-time this afterwards.

Its still not as snappy as it should be, but there is a difference.

P.S. turning the spring assembly is not an option as the clock spring would be near impossible to put back in.

OaGIwnZ.png

xCjkDmB.png

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
If you push the center portion of the plastic rivets out that hold the "clock spring" on you don't need to remove the spring assy you should just be able to spin the whole assembly to get more tension. I did it on mine and they were as snug as can be. Not my current vert but a coupe.

Leave the locking side alone, leave the material still wrapped, turn the spring and you'll be as snug as can be.

SV

Last edited:

westsideriderz1

Established Member
thx for the reply. How many turns do you think you did? I will look at my pass side and see. I thought I looked at this already but Ill take another glance.

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
I honestly couldn't tell you the exact turns. I did this back around 2005 or so. My girlfriend and I were living in an apartment, no kids, I think we were watching Saturday night live so it was a Saturday night around midnight. We were sitting in the living room, I was wearing safety glasses and I asked my girlfriend to go into the bedroom as I though thinks were about to get dangerous. I told her the spring was like a wind up watch and was about 30 feet long. I worked for the next couple of hours and get it done.

I just remember going off of the spring resistance feel on the first one, counted the turns and then replicated on the side I did second. It turned out awesome. The belt was snug across your chest while driving. If I tapped the brake, took a corner, accelerated heavy, etc the belt would lock immediately. It really improved the way the car could be driven because it held you in those giant bolsters.

SV

Users who are viewing this thread