Amsoil: Sig series vs. European formula

LS2GTO

Established Member
Looking specifically at the 5w40 offering from them and comparing the specs they seem very similar but one specifically say it's got more "SAPS" which I've read on but don't really know the benefits and whether or not it's worth it on a non-European engine.

And if it's beneficial to get the SAPS stuff, what's the difference between low and full? This will be on a high flow catted engine and I hear that's where the most possible downsides can be.

Last edited:

SDBs13GT500

Established Member
SAP Engine Oils are designed to meet the requirements of European Automotive manufactures. The link is an explanation for explaining SAPS from AMSOIL. Below are a few snippets from the three different European oils AMSOIL Offers. As far as running European oils in an American Engine I would recommend using Signature Series Oil. This has a better additive package and is designed to meet the requirements of American Manufactures.
AMSOIL Lower-SAPS formulation promotes optimum emissions system performance and life, allowing reduced maintenance costs.
AMSOIL Mid-SAPS (sulfated ash, phosphorus and sulfur) formulation provides excellent protection for emissions systems.
AMSOIL full sulfated ash, phosphorus and sulfur (SAPS) formulation provides excellent protection and performance.

http://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/auto-and-light-truck/articles/european-motor-oils-and-saps-content/

As I read through the link I noticed under the Mid-SAPS oil from AMSOIL I saw that it meets requirements for all three American manufactures for certain standards.
Ford WSS-M2C917-A
GM dexos2™ (supersedes LL-A-025 and LL-B-025)
Chrysler MS-10850 (supersedes MS-10896)

I also noticed that GM/Opel requirement under the Full SAPS
GM/Opel LL-B-025

I imagine this is for the vehicles designed and sold in the European market.

Last edited:

Way2QWK

Established Member
Unleashed... would you recommend the new Amsoil 0-40 signature over the 10-40 XL series oil.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
So, the 0W-40 meets the Ford WSS-M2C917-x specs? I'm more inclined to just go with the Amsoil 5W-50 that Ford recommends for my Boss but am open-minded.

No, AZF 0W-40 is not certified for that specification set by Ford. However, we've known for a long time, it's not required for a street use only Boss 302 car. If you are using it on a closed course for HPDE, yes....I'd opt for their 5W-50 formulation. Especially if you are driving the car to the edge of its cooling limitations.

Users who are viewing this thread