Amsoil Oil change question

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Put 7qts of Amsoil Sig. Series in my 04 Cobra when I put it up in storage last winter with a Motorcraft Filter. I've put 1300 miles on it since I got it out. Should I change it when I put it up or wait till right before spring next year when I get it out?

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Put 7qts of Amsoil Sig. Series in my 04 Cobra when I put it up in storage last winter with a Motorcraft Filter. I've put 1300 miles on it since I got it out. Should I change it when I put it up or wait till right before spring next year when I get it out?
While your Amsoil SS should have lots of life left in it, my Owner's Manual states "The engine oil and filter should be changed prior to storage, as used engine oil contains contaminates that may cause engine damage." (Different car, but I'm guessing the same is true of yours.)

SDBs13GT500

Established Member
I would recommend changing it before storage. You have plenty of life left in the oil. The one thing I would recommend to change is the oil filter you are using. Motorcraft is an okay filter but AMSOIL has an synthetic media filter that will filter more efficiently. A filter like Motorcraft will filter at 8 to 10 Microns, the AMSOIL filter will filter at 20 microns. The AMSOIL EA oil filters are designed to be used with the Signature Series Oil. Below is the link for the oil filter for your car.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...tems/oil/amsoil-ea-oil-filters/?code=EAO11-EA

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
It is recommended to change before storage because a product of combustion is water.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Always change with Signature Series before storage. In the spring, take the car for a 1 hour long drive. Get the oil hot. That will condition it to use for the rest of the summer.

Lather, rinse, repeat. Once a year oil changes.

Canadian_Bacon

Armchair Athlete
Established Member
I would recommend changing it before storage. You have plenty of life left in the oil. The one thing I would recommend to change is the oil filter you are using. Motorcraft is an okay filter but AMSOIL has an synthetic media filter that will filter more efficiently. A filter like Motorcraft will filter at 8 to 10 Microns, the AMSOIL filter will filter at 20 microns. The AMSOIL EA oil filters are designed to be used with the Signature Series Oil. Below is the link for the oil filter for your car.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...tems/oil/amsoil-ea-oil-filters/?code=EAO11-EA

Motorcraft filters are 80% at 20 Microns. Amsoil Ea Filters are 98% at 20 Microns.

SDBs13GT500

Established Member
Motorcraft filters are 80% at 20 Microns. Amsoil Ea Filters are 98% at 20 Microns.

Not sure where you saw that. Would like to read more about that. In a Ford comparison to an array of different filters they make no mention of it. I would still take an EA filter over a motorcraft. From a cost perspective a few more dollars is worth it for better filtering capability. The other think to consider is motorcraft filters due not have the same longevity as EA filters. EA filters are designed for either 15K or 25K miles, depending on the vehicle.

http://hillerford.com/resource_library/2010/motorcraftcompare.pdf

Canadian_Bacon

Armchair Athlete
Established Member
That's what Ford claims. I didn't say they were as good as an Amsoil Filter, I know they aren't and I run the Ea Filter on my Lightning. You stated "A filter like Motorcraft will filter at 8 to 10 Microns" I was letting you know Ford Engineers claim 80% at 20 Microns.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
EaO_efficiency_med.jpg

At 20 Microns, the EaO11 is 5% more efficient than the FL820. However, is also less restrictive due to nano-fiber technology. Yes, you can have your cake and eat it too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread