Amsoil MTF vs MTG comparison

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
Just wanted to give you guys a little review on my personal experience with the Amsoil MTG and MTF.

MTF- Put it in about 5,000 miles ago, replacing the TSB fluid that Ford put in the transmission. Immediately noticed smoother shifting. A couple hundred miles later the transmission started whining like a PD blower and I had a nice growl coming from the tranny at low RPMs when taking off from a stop. This happened in all conditions whether is was 45 or 90 degrees out side. Became more pronounced the more the fluid heated up. On hot days and some hard driving the fluid felt too thin after the trans had warmed up.

Pros- Shifted very smooth
Cons- transmission low rpm growl and whine at all speeds

MTG- Just did a drain and refill with the MTG replacing the MTF that I was previously running. Shifting effort is still smooth and it really quieted the transmission. The growl has came back down to barely noticeable and the transmission whine has been quieted substantially. I'm going to put more miles on it today and see if it completely goes away. I would have to say that the MTG is the way to go as far as Amsoil fluids in the MT82. In a normal (45-90 degree Fahrenheit) environment.

Pros- Smooth shifting, quiet transmission
Cons- Haven't found any yet but would suspect that shifting might be slightly more "notchy" before trans warms up in cooler weather.

I will let you guys know more of what I think about the MTG after I get some more miles on it.

Also, I just changed my motor oil again with Amsoil SS 10W-30. Last oil change was at 9,338 miles. I'm currently at 14,120. Interval was 8 months/4,782 miles (I know I could have waited a little longer, but I am deploying in a couple of months and decided to go ahead and get it out of the way). I purchased the Amsoil oil analysis kit and will be sending it out soon with my motor oil. I will post a copy of the results in this thread and the oil analysis thread that we have as soon as I get them back.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

fake

Established Member
I've had MTG in mine for well over a year. I don't plan on switching to anything else.

turbosha

stirring the pot since'74
Established Member
seems kind of thick for these engines doesnt it.
im ready for an oil change myself 18k miles. this will be my 3rd, the first two were with royal purple. changing to amsoil. im getting that clicking sound.

92hatchlx

Established Member
Wait, you were using the 10w30 MTF?

Engine oil: Amsoil Signature Series 10w-30

Tranny fluid: Amsoil MTG (current)
Amsoil MTF (previous)

im ready for an oil change myself 18k miles. this will be my 3rd, the first two were with royal purple. changing to amsoil. im getting that clicking sound.

Compared to the 5w-20 that they suggest from Ford, yes. After speaking with out local oil guru unleashedbeast, I am glad I am running it. I usually get the ignitor tick for the first 100 miles or so on a new oil change and it goes away. You can stop by the ford dealership and pick up a bottle of the XL-17 additive or whatever they were using to kill the tick.

Torchy

Established Member
So I have a 2013 GT M6 with MTG and I have a very slight grind on a completely cold start. Usually between 1-2 shift or the 2-3 shift. Happens about every other day. I'd say it's more of a nibble than a grind. I can only feel it. Can't hear it.

Once my tranny is warm it is Butter McButterson. Smoothest shifting tranny ive ever had.

Also X2 on Amsoil 10W-30 SS for our cars!!!!

burke985

Established Member
Just wanted to give you guys a little review on my personal experience with the Amsoil MTG and MTF.

MTF- Put it in about 5,000 miles ago, replacing the TSB fluid that Ford put in the transmission. Immediately noticed smoother shifting. A couple hundred miles later the transmission started whining like a PD blower and I had a nice growl coming from the tranny at low RPMs when taking off from a stop. This happened in all conditions whether is was 45 or 90 degrees out side. Became more pronounced the more the fluid heated up. On hot days and some hard driving the fluid felt too thin after the trans had warmed up.

Pros- Shifted very smooth
Cons- transmission low rpm growl and whine at all speeds

MTG- Just did a drain and refill with the MTG replacing the MTF that I was previously running. Shifting effort is still smooth and it really quieted the transmission. The growl has came back down to barely noticeable and the transmission whine has been quieted substantially. I'm going to put more miles on it today and see if it completely goes away. I would have to say that the MTG is the way to go as far as Amsoil fluids in the MT82. In a normal (45-90 degree Fahrenheit) environment.

Pros- Smooth shifting, quiet transmission
Cons- Haven't found any yet but would suspect that shifting might be slightly more "notchy" before trans warms up in cooler weather.

I will let you guys know more of what I think about the MTG after I get some more miles on it.

Also, I just changed my motor oil again with Amsoil SS 10W-30. Last oil change was at 9,338 miles. I'm currently at 14,120. Interval was 8 months/4,782 miles (I know I could have waited a little longer, but I am deploying in a couple of months and decided to go ahead and get it out of the way). I purchased the Amsoil oil analysis kit and will be sending it out soon with my motor oil. I will post a copy of the results in this thread and the oil analysis thread that we have as soon as I get them back.

Hope this helps!

Cool i may try this , i really don't have any issues with the fluid i have in the tranny from the day i bought it but i change all my fluids early i have 15,000 miles on my car and already changed the oil 4 times so i may try this.

burke985

Established Member

Funny how everyones car is different ,i was using mobil 1 and changed to royal purple and my tick went away.

92hatchlx

Established Member
Put about 40 miles on her yesterday driving highway/city. Low RPM/take off growl is gone and tranny whine is minimal. Can barely hear it making the noise.

Torchy

Established Member
Put about 40 miles on her yesterday driving highway/city. Low RPM/take off growl is gone and tranny whine is minimal. Can barely hear it making the noise.

I didn't believe everyone when they said MTG made their trannys quieter. I figured it was placebo effect. Mine did get a lot quieter too. Even my wife could tell.

As for the cold nibble. I just skip a gear in the mornings now for my first 2-3 miles of driving and problem solved.

Thanks for this comparison because I always wondered if I should of went with the MTF. Its been pretty cold here in Vegas for the last few months so I think my little issue will go away once it warms up.

fake

Established Member
I didn't believe everyone when they said MTG made their trannys quieter. I figured it was placebo effect. Mine did get a lot quieter too. Even my wife could tell.

As for the cold nibble. I just skip a gear in the mornings now for my first 2-3 miles of driving and problem solved.

Thanks for this comparison because I always wondered if I should of went with the MTF. Its been pretty cold here in Vegas for the last few months so I think my little issue will go away once it warms up.

My tranny has been dead quiet from day one. I had redline mtl in the tranny first, but wanted a little thicker oil due to summer days reaching 100+ everyday.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread