Amsoil HP-Marine 2-Stroke Oil as a Diesel Fuel Additive

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I'm giving it a shot in my 6.4 Powerstroke as a fuel lubrication supplement in addition to my normal dose of Motorcraft Cetane Booster. Poured ~6 Oz in the tank yesterday. Going to aim for a ~500:1 mix ratio. So far there's not really any noticeable difference and no additional smoke. My hope is to prolong the life of the HPFP and injectors.

SDBs13GT500

Established Member
Sid,

AMSOIL has a Diesel Cleaner and Injection Lubricant. This additive cleans and lubricates. There is no need to add a two stroke oil. That is an old trick that can actually cause damage. AMSOIL also has Cetane Boost as well. I run both of these in my Cummins and I notice improved mileage and performance. I would estimate that I may get between 1 to 2 more miles per gallon. Most of what I drive is city mileage as well.

Diesel Injector Cleaner: http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/fuel-additives/diesel/diesel-injector-clean/?code=ADFPCN-EA

Cetane Boost: http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/fuel-additives/diesel/diesel-cetane-boost/?code=ACBCN-EA

ZWilson07

Established Member
I pretty much just switch back and forth between Stanadyne and Amsoil but I do like basically only having to use one option from Stanadyne versus two from Amsoil to get the same kind of protection.

Like mentioned, using oil can actually cause more harm than good on the newer stuff.

I am worried that with Stanadyne being under new ownership that they will eventually start changing things and it will no longer be, what it once was. If that happens, I will probably stick with just Amsoil.

For Stanadyne, I use the All Season Performance Formula. (Blue Label, Purple Color of Fluid)

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
So I started up the truck yesterday and I can say that it smokes more at cold idle. Due to the tune on the truck it tends to always haze a bit on initial startup, but the haze is definitely hazier with the 2-stroke oil. Editor Turner should be thrilled with this news.

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
I pretty much just switch back and forth between Stanadyne and Amsoil but I do like basically only having to use one option from Stanadyne versus two from Amsoil to get the same kind of protection.

You have to wonder when a product treats 2 or 3 things ( cold flow, injectors, cetane ) how concetrated it is for each task.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
You have to wonder when a product treats 2 or 3 things ( cold flow, injectors, cetane ) how concetrated it is for each task.

Lube and Cetane are all I really care about. It would be nice if the 2-stroke oil and Motorcraft stuff does the trick.

I wonder what my fuel filters are going to look like after running this stuff?

ZWilson07

Established Member

That is a fair point. I presume you were meaning more about the Stanadyne product that I mentioned, being one that treats "numerous" things at the same time. I would tend to agree with you but another fair point is Stanadyne has been around the game for a very long time and has designed countless injection pump/injector setups for different diesel motors throughout the years so I would like to think they know a thing or two about an additive to put together.

They have around 5 or 6 different additives so I wouldn't say they take just a simple one product treats all type of attitude either but I can understand where your coming from. I seriously doubt even the Stanadyne or Amsoil diesel additives really do everything well that they say they do on the bottle even though I am a big Amsoil supporter. Personally, I don't use them because I think they will make my performance better, major cetane improvement, make a big difference in cleaning my injectors, or improve my gas mileage. I simply use them to help offset a chance of kinda crappy fuel from a station, cold weather protection in the winter months as we do see temps as low as -15, and most importantly really for lubricity especially with the newer diesel formulations.

If the only thing it ever did was protect my fuel in the winter and make an improvement in lubricity for my injection pump/injectors, I would be more than happy with the money spent on it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread