amsoil bypass filtration system, anybody using it?

jakemarsh77

Established Member
looking to see if anybody uses a bypass filtration system like this one offered by amsoil:

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/filters-and-by-pass-systems/by-pass/filters-and-mounts/universal-single-remote-bypass-system/?code=BMK21-EA

doesn't have to be that one in particular but something like it. I want to see if anybody has actually noticed a difference in engine wear, cleanliness of their oil, longer drain intervals, things like that.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
You typically only see bypass systems on diesels (they dirty up the oil pretty bad) or guys looking run extended drain intervals.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I sure am, on my 2009 Dodge Ram with the baby 4.7L V8 engine. Using BMK23, the EABP100 bypass filter with the EAO26 full flow filter, I am able to change the oil in my truck every 18-24 months. I have to add a quart of oil every 4K miles due to consumption, so that helps to restore used additives. The only reason why I did it, because I already had it in the garage from another vehicle. The Ram now has a 9 quart sump, with the ability to filter down to the 2 micron range effectively.

Currently have 14K+ miles on the current oil fill, and can easily make 20K. Will change the oil and filter this winter around that mileage and test the oil.

20140703_190838_zpsm07qtxpc.jpg

20140703_190929_zpsncfkdr8n.jpg

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
It really makes sense on an engine that you want to keep running as long as possible between rebuilds, like a marine or OTR diesel.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I've been thinking of adding this to my 2013 6.7 PSD. I just recently deleted it and I'm going to be due for a oil change here shortly. I haven't been doing extended intervals as I heard that AMSOIL recently decided to pull that back from the newer diesels due to the fuel contamination I think..

Anyways I was thinking about adding it for extra insurance.. Kinda still on the fence.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Chris, you know I can get anything Amsoil to you at cost, no matter where you live in the US. Let me know when you are ready to do your diesel right.

That's a pretty slick setup.

It really is. The bypass filter only gets about 10% of flow, but filters at 2 microns. You only have to change the bypass filter every 2 years, changing the full flow filter annually in most cases, with the exception of my truck. The full flow filter alone is 3 times the size of the OEM required filter. I would have no problem running it the entire 2 years, like the bypass filter.

Last edited:

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
Thank you sire :beer: think with all materials I had about 120 bucks in it. Most of that was the hose and fittings. To restrict the oil flow I plugged the inlet on the housing and drilled the needed size hole in it. Been on for 40,000ish miles with no issues.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Troy I shot you a txt, I don't know if you have the same number though :)

BMK28 - $309.00 *Does not include filters*

Install Instructions

EABP100 (Bypass Filter) - $31.75

EAO26 (Full Flow Filter) - $17.65

Preferred Customers get the wonderful price reductions I posted, or I can drop ship it for you on my account (saves you the PC fee).

Depending on if the truck has a DPF system or not dictates which lubricant I recommend for the engine.

No DPF system - AME 15W-40

DPF System - DME 15W-40

*If you removed the DPF system from a 2008+ diesel truck, I recommend the use of AME 15W-40*

Preferred customers will see a 25% reduction in cost on lubricants as well. Don't forget state sales tax + shipping costs.

Last edited:

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Unleashed, why doesn't amsoil released a filter relocation kit only for gas engines?

Using same mount at OE filter housing mount, same lines, but just one mount for a single full flow filter? This would allow for use of a much larger filter option(like a diesel filter) and to have more oil in the system. This would be good for all the DI engines on market now that have more fuel dilution.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Unleashed, why doesn't amsoil released a filter relocation kit only for gas engines?

Using same mount at OE filter housing mount, same lines, but just one mount for a single full flow filter? This would allow for use of a much larger filter option(like a diesel filter) and to have more oil in the system. This would be good for all the DI engines on market now that have more fuel dilution.

You can usually put together your own relocation kit without too much trouble. I suspect Amsoil doesn't do it due to low demand and it being outside their core business.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I'd agree it's not in big demand to the masses. However, bypass filtration for large trucks is in demand for longer oil change intervals. People who put a lot of miles on a large truck save money on oil changes.

Users who are viewing this thread