AM's 2011 GT Gets 385RWHP W/CAI & Tune

AMDanBailer

At AmericanMuscle, we're Mustang people. We support do-it-yourselfers by offering tech articles, installation guides, and now product information and real-world results for the 2011 Mustang.

Once our Bama Custom Tuning team got their hands on our 2011 5.0 GT, they couldn't wait to get started installing and testing the exclusive prototypes we've been helping develop. We can't tell you about all of them yet, but there is one we can share with you--a prototype C&L CAI. Think a custom tune and a CAI can't give you impressive hp gains? Think again. Here's our dyno breakdown:

· Stock – no modifications: 363RWHP / 331RWTQ
· Factory tune, Prototype C&L cold air intake: 374RWHP / 338RWTQ
· Bama Custom Tune, stock Airbox: 379RWHP / 357RWTQ

· Bama Custom Tune, Prototype C&L cold air intake: 385RWHP / 362RWTQ

All tunes are not created equal, check out our blog (with video!) here to see why Bama Custom Tunes are ahead of the curve.

th_Forum_Animated_Gif_421x240.gif

Driver72

Established Member
Must be on an auto? My manual made that 100% bone stock.

If you didn't dyno on the same dyno, that would be irrelevant.
Kind of on the same lines as two people comparing drag time slips from two different tracks.

Your car very well could produce less power on the same dyno their car did.

Driver72

Established Member
What's odd is the CAI with tune only made 6 hp and 5 tq more than the tune only version. But the CAI on it's own (without tune) made 11 hp and 7 tq more than stock box on stock tune.

I'd of thought that with the CAI and a tune you'd get greater gains than the CAI on it's own with a stock tune. (ie: I'd think you'd of seen a 12-15 hp and 8+ tq improvement over the CAI and stock tune once you added the Bama tune to the equation).

Timeless

TK-421
Established Member
Must be on an auto? My manual made that 100% bone stock.

If you didn't dyno on the same dyno, that would be irrelevant.
Kind of on the same lines as two people comparing drag time slips from two different tracks.

Your car very well could produce less power on the same dyno their car did.

Or he dynoed in 4th gear and they dynoed in 5th. :??:

Edit: Saw where you posted it was done in 5th gear on another post...but I cannot delete my post here. :)

Last edited:

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Yes dynos are all different. I went to a land sea awd dyno made 381 std then went to a superflow dyno same tune and made 445 sae w tires spinning. Imo the big news is cam timing statement the head tuner says w the sct software. Unless its a dynojet I wouldn't take much stock in # besides what gains you can get on same dyno. We went all through this w the 03 and argued endlessly. So thats my take on dyno numbers. I could also point out the way the guy put my tires on the superflow dyno w nitrous and 100+ jets burnt the tires off and made 10 more rwhp. He said oh that's good... no that was fkd up and I was dumb at the time. You put the tires on rollers a bit behind the crown not in front so watch that deal esp w nitrous. My 315 hoosier dr were practically ruined rubber everywhere.:rockon:

DIB5.0

Established Member
Lets just see how much it gains at the track. It ran a 13 stock so lets see how much the tune and CAI gives them.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Oh different dynos and whp numbers it matters not the tranny. One guy w get 440 another 430 and diagnosis would be given what was wrong when nothing was. As i said my exact same car same tune what made over 40 whp different? On different dynos. Golly 10whp different then is nothing. It's all what you can gain on same dyno. That's about it in a nutshell. Then you should run quicker and faster at the track if you gain 25 whp on same dyno.

Last edited:

chrisheltra

Established Member
Oh different dynos and whp numbers it matters not the tranny. One guy w get 440 another 430 and diagnosis would be given what was wrong when nothing was. As i said my exact same car same tune what made over 40 whp different? On different dynos. Golly 10whp different then is nothing. It's all what you can gain on same dyno. That's about it in a nutshell. Then you should run quicker and faster at the track if you gain 25 whp on same dyno.

I understand what your saying and I dont trust dynos one bit either. As far as Im concerned they are nothing but bullshit paper generators but they are a great tuning tool. The real numbers come from the track. That being said autos and manuals have different parasitic losses and that is why I asked the question.

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
Numbers are not bad but how does it stack up against the price?? Bang for the buck factor is what I mean. I recall the $154.00 K&N cold air intake for the 03/04 cobras which made an impressive 25 RWHP along with a cat back exhaust. Add a pulley and tune and there was much more. Those days are long gone now. Keep the 5.0 mods coming!!!!

DIB5.0

Established Member
I know it was an auto and there is no 1:1 gear on it but i think i read 4th may be the closest. Not sure what dyno they used but the stock #'s seem pretty consistent for an auto. These #'s seem to be more realistic. Need to see the track # improvements.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Numbers are not bad but how does it stack up against the price?? Bang for the buck factor is what I mean. I recall the $154.00 K&N cold air intake for the 03/04 cobras which made an impressive 25 RWHP along with a cat back exhaust. Add a pulley and tune and there was much more. Those days are long gone now. Keep the 5.0 mods coming!!!!

Lol yea I remember a 2.8 pulley was awesome and on the edge, now it isn't crap. We would sit around arguing on the net what size pulley, cai, the tuner guy and a lot of stuff. Now that isn't nothing. Yes, I am excited over this new 5.0 engine some new options are available and hopefully soon also for the v6 guys.

chrisheltra

Established Member
Lol yea I remember a 2.8 pulley was awesome and on the edge, now it isn't crap. We would sit around arguing on the net what size pulley, cai, the tuner guy and a lot of stuff. Now that isn't nothing. Yes, I am excited over this new 5.0 engine some new options are available and hopefully soon also for the v6 guys.

This is the exact reason Im not gonna mod just yet. The same thing happened in the L scene as well.

I really hate buying things more than once because something new and better came out.

Last edited:

AMChrisRose

Hey Fellas!

This is an Automatic, so that is going to account for the drivetrain loss. All numbers are Dynojet STD corrected numbers and were done literally within 10 minutes of each other, in the same gear.

As for the intake, it picked up more on the stock tune A.)because the vehicle was colder during testing and B.)because these things gain power proportionally, they don't just stack right on top of each other. We have alot of customers that think that because a throttle body advertises 10 and an intake advertises 15, they're going to get 25. When they dyno at 15-17RWHP more than factory, they want to know why. Modifications work together, and there is no "stacking" of horsepower gains.

Stick around, we have an article coming out that will capture all of our track numbers as well as MANY more modifications. We will also be putting out a few more blog posts/videos on some other new prototype products that I think you'll all enjoy!!

Thanks for your replies thus far. Who wants to take a guess at what we've got in store for this car next?!

Users who are viewing this thread