AmericanMuscle test tmrw: Boss 302 mani, JLT CAI, 150 shot!

Terminator_NJ

Established Member
The throttle body is L&M 82mm.

Link

184198_10150191747274186_193943499185_8656573_565633_n.jpg

Last edited:

Dave_6

Established Member
Cool. I saw earlier where John Urist has got a 5.0 down in Bradenton with one of his Hellion kits on it as well as the Boss intake.

FIFTY

Established Member
Damn, this should be interesting.... guess this will be the first track tested manifold... CANT WAIT!!!

Terminator_NJ

Established Member
I was just emailed by L&M. their throttle body is actually 82.5mm.

And the intake opening on the stock 5.0 intake is 82.7. and the intake opening on the Boss 302 is 82.9. Which had a lot to do with their design of their 82.5mm TB.

Also Evolution Performance shows this description for the L&M tb for our cars.

The L&M billet single blade throttle body is a replacement for your stock throttle body. Dyno testing showed an increase of 10rwhp and 25rwtq by simply swapping out the stock throttle body for the L&M one. No changes to the tune need to be made and driveability is just like stock.

-Bellmouth shaped inlet for increased airflow
-82mm Bore Diameter
-Tapered and Blended Throttle Blade,for smoother airflow
-Countersunk Throttle Blade attach screws for smoother airflow.
-Same type Plastic gears as Ford OEM.
-Exact driveability as compared to stock.
-Smoother Airflow will always result in "more Airflow".
-All Electronics installed just bolt it on.

Last edited:

wbt

Banned

And the intake opening on the stock 5.0 intake is 82.7. and the intake opening on the Boss 302 is 82.9. Which had a lot to do with their design of their 82.5mm TB.

Indeed. I have mentioned this very thing on other forums and was ridiculed.

Oh well....

L&M has their shit together. :rockon:

Terminator_NJ

Established Member
AmericanMuscle Automatic 2011 GT 5.0L just went 10.43 at 130mph! Stock trans, stock converter – 150 shot of Nitrous, Boss manifold, Off-road X-Pipe, Bama Tune and Airaid CAI, 4.10 gears!*

With only 4.10 Gears, Off-Road X-Pipe, JLT CAI & Bama 93 Race tune, and Boss Intake Manifold (stock headers, stock trans, stock torque converter) they were able to go 11.64 at 117.75mph!

V6
Their Automatic 2011 V6 (2.73 gears and stock 17″ all season tires) went 14.1 at 100mph bone stock at Cecil. After they added a Bama 93 Race tune and Airaid CAI they went 13.64 at 104mph!

Info from their Facebook page

AmnDucky

Established Member

Also Evolution Performance shows this description for the L&M tb for our cars.

So the TB is smaller than the intake but makes more power? I don't know if .4mm matters, but I find that odd.

wbt

Banned
So the TB is smaller than the intake but makes more power? I don't know if .4mm matters, but I find that odd.

Stock TB is 80mm. The intake opening of the stock and Boss intakes is ~83mm. Putting a larger than 83mm TB on either intake will do nothing for power and may actually loose.

L&M created their TB with the intake inlet size in mind. That is why it is just under 83mm. This allows for installation tolerances to be in check without creating a lip into the airstream causing turbulence having an impact on power.

They thought it through properly.

AmnDucky

Established Member
Stock TB is 80mm. The intake opening of the stock and Boss intakes is ~83mm. Putting a larger than 83mm TB on either intake will do nothing for power and may actually loose.

L&M created their TB with the intake inlet size in mind. That is why it is just under 83mm. This allows for installation tolerances to be in check without creating a lip into the airstream causing turbulence having an impact on power.

They thought it through properly.

Ah, now it all makes sense. That post confused me.

Terminator_NJ

Established Member
Did some digging around and found out that Tasca Ford testing the L&M on a tuned car:
Quick summary = 6.6 HP and about 15 pounds of torque gains

First run = 407 whp
5.0 with Ford Racing Part # M-9603-MGTB (Air Filter and Calibration) and Ford Racing Part # M-5230-MGTCA30 (3 inch cat back exhaust.

Second Run = 413.6 whp
replacing the stock 5.0 TB with the new 82mm 5.0 L&M TB

Terminator_NJ

Established Member
I am def installing JLT CAI and L&M 82mm throttle body. I am not sure if i am going to install the Boss 302 Manifold until i see some dyno graph overlays of Bama tunes.

This weekend they ran 11.64 @117mph
Mods: 4.10 Gears, Off-Road X-Pipe, JLT CAI & Bama 93 Race tune, and Boss Intake Manifold, and looks like L&M throttle body

Couple weeks ago they trapped higher speed with diff mods: 11.68 @ 120mph
Mods: 4.10 Gears, Off-Road X-Pipe, C&L intake? & Bama 93 Race tune, and NO Boss Intake Manifold

The run from a while back was in colder temperatures too. And I believe same tire setups.

Maybe they didn't adjust to the new optimal shift points for the Boss 302 intake manifold? Not sure. its all speculation until they officially release their official information.

Last edited:

Terminator_NJ

Established Member
10rwhp and 25rwtq BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!

Hi. I was able to dig up the dyno's from another thread and repost on my blog so you dont have to register to see them.

Link

So it seems the prototype L&M originally only yielded 6.6 HP and about 15 pounds of torque to wheels on Jan 2, 2011.

On Jan 13, they posted that on the same dyno and the final production model, with slight changes, they saw 10hp now over stockTB and 25 or so pounds of torque. And 3-4 hp and another 10 pounds of torque over our protype piece.

I have a unit on the way. I may skip my baseline stock dyno and just do:
Run 1: Bama tune, JLT, boss manifold, stock tb
Run 2: Bama tune, JLT, boss manifold, L&M tb

AMChrisRose

Man, people are skeptical! We actually picked up a ton of power top-end. And the low-end loss you cannot feel whatsoever. The whole car is smoother, 100 x better.

boss.jpg

And then with Nitrous, the manifold REALLY helped out. Forced induction guys are going to love this thing!

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGw4zou6Nws&feature=channel_video_title"]YouTube - 2011 Mustang GT 5.0L 4V Runs 10.43 @ 130 MPH with Boss Intake Manifold[/nomedia]

Users who are viewing this thread