American racing solutions

old01cobra

Established Member
I just bought a American racing solutions tensioner. Looks beautiful shipping was extremely fast. Installation was a breeze. How in the hell do you set it??? It’s shipped in the release and locked. Is it that little Allen on the bottom?

Thanks guys

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
What do you mean its shipped in the release? Are you moving it the right way? Those tenioners usually take more effort to move. I used to use my 36" breaker bar when I had the Thump tensioner.

old01cobra

Established Member
the factory tensioner bolted down has tension on the belt. I need to pry the factory one to the drivers side to remove tension then pull the belt off a pulley. This ARS tensioner when bolted down has no tension on the belt at all the belts completely loose. I can’t pry it either way it’s like it’s shipped in a lock position

old01cobra

Established Member
Anyone reading this and if anyone buys one you need to grind down the pin that comes on it and tap a bolt hole where the factory tensioner has the alignment pin. 2001 cobra front covers are single bolt tensioner but slightly different heads up.

JGDogg10

Established Member
I had to do the same thing with my thump racing tensioner when I first got it. Ground the bump off and then tapped and threaded in a round head bolt just big enough for the hole where the tensioner tab goes in. Basically reclocking it to the passenger side a little.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I had to do the same thing with my thump racing tensioner when I first got it. Ground the bump off and then tapped and threaded in a round head bolt just big enough for the hole where the tensioner tab goes in. Basically reclocking it to the passenger side a little.

I thought they fixed that by now. I ended up drilling a new hole in my timing cover because I didn't want to drill my brand new expensive tensioner.

old01cobra

Established Member
Nope they didn’t fix it. I feel you 600 dollar tensioner and pulley gave me slight nausea thinking about drilling it out. They said 1 in a 100 run into this probably not worth Cnc a new piece ohh well. Us Na 4v guys get forgotten about.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I remember the issue with the Thump was that it was made for the GT. They just assumed all single bolt set ups were the same. I remember seeing this issue pop up on M1R a lot as well.

JGDogg10

Established Member
Yea they told me the same thing, "about only a handful of them needed this mod", and it just happened to be mine. lol. Looking through their product line now, they dont even sell a single bolt tensioner anymore. Makes me a little nervous since I have a single bolt from them. hah

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Yea they told me the same thing, "about only a handful of them needed this mod", and it just happened to be mine. lol. Looking through their product line now, they dont even sell a single bolt tensioner anymore. Makes me a little nervous since I have a single bolt from them. hah
Whatever a handful. They all needed the mod. They're customer left something to be desired for me. I wanted to order a pulley one time and couldn't get a straight answer. I ended up going with Metco.

Users who are viewing this thread