American racing solutions tensioner 2001 cobra??

Badaz01

Established Member
Anyone have any experience with the American racing solutions belt tensioner on an 01 cobra with a procharger? I’m working on installing one and when we got it all together the idler pulley under the procharger came into contact with the ars tensioner pulley and shredded my belt. The idler is 76mm and we replaced it with a 70mm idler. The pulley on the tensioner is 76mm. We are waiting on a new belt I hope this works idk any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
I'm assuming you're slipping? Is it 6 rib? Might look into going 8 if it is. I'm no centri expert but it seems like this is a common thread among those blowers.

Badaz01

Established Member
I'm assuming you're slipping? Is it 6 rib? Might look into going 8 if it is. I'm no centri expert but it seems like this is a common thread among those blowers.
Yes it is 6 rib but I’m running a 10% OD pulley and 4 inch blower pulley. The ars tensioner had belt tight as hell it is just rubbing the idler pulley under the procharger. Was initiating this thread to see if anyone has experience with the ars tensioner and how to make it best work on an 01 cobra.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Sounds like you ought to have enough belt wrap with those big pullies then. If this new aftermarket tensioner has the belt 'tight as hell', I'd rethink that. Over-tensioning never seems to end well. I would rather have more ribs in the system to combat slip, but that's just me. If you want to exhaust other avenues before going 8rib, you could try different style belts and do something like a carbonite coating on the blower pulley. I think pc makes their stuff 6rib out of the box just so they can sell you an 8rib system later on when you're done banging your head on the wall. More $$ for them that way.

But anyway, this new tensioner sounds like it doesn't fit your setup well if it's hitting the blower's idler and cutting the belt. I guess you could try to find a smaller pulley to put on it to gain some clearance. Or maybe a smaller blower idler pulley. I'd probably just remove it though instead of trying to engineer a way around it. Jmo. I'll step back and let the centri guys help. GL.

Last edited:

Badaz01

Established Member
Sounds like you ought to have enough belt wrap with those big pullies then. If this new aftermarket tensioner has the belt 'tight as hell', I'd rethink that. Over-tensioning never seems to end well. I would rather have more ribs in the system to combat slip, but that's just me. If you want to exhaust other avenues before going 8rib, you could try different style belts and do something like a carbonite coating on the blower pulley. I think pc makes their stuff 6rib out of the box just so they can sell you an 8rib system later on when you're done banging your head on the wall. More $$ for them that way.

But anyway, this new tensioner sounds like it doesn't fit your setup well if it's hitting the blower's idler and cutting the belt. I guess you could try to find a smaller pulley to put on it to gain some clearance. Or maybe a smaller blower idler pulley. I'd probably just remove it though instead of trying to engineer a way around it. Jmo. I'll step back and let the centri guys help. GL.
We are gonna try the smaller idler pulley it wasn’t the blower idler it was the oem idler under the blower. I’ll most likely go 8 rib in the coming spring we will see how this goes. Thanks for the input.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
hmmm I havent tried that one, I had a thump and it cleared. I dont know off hand if the 8 rib pullies have a different diameter or not.

you have a single bolt tensioner right?

I will say the GI Joe kit isn't worth the money, the spacers are NOT correct for our cars and he will not answer your call or email. He supplies the kits to procharger too just fyi

Badaz01

Established Member
hmmm I havent tried that one, I had a thump and it cleared. I dont know off hand if the 8 rib pullies have a different diameter or not.

you have a single bolt tensioner right?

I will say the GI Joe kit isn't worth the money, the spacers are NOT correct for our cars and he will not answer your call or email. He supplies the kits to procharger too just fyi
What size pulley did you have on the thump I have a 76mm on mine probably should’ve got the 70 mm idk. Hopefully the smaller idler will help it to clear. Oh and yea my tensioner is single bolt.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
What size pulley did you have on the thump I have a 76mm on mine probably should’ve got the 70 mm idk. Hopefully the smaller idler will help it to clear. Oh and yea my tensioner is single bolt.
I dont remember to be honest, I think its laying around somewhere and I could double check. To be honest I put a new stock one on with a vortech spacer kit to run an 8 rib idler but the sizes I just don't remember.

Badaz01

Established Member
Well folks I just got off the phone with my tuner and the smaller pulley worked. If I run into any issue after driving a bit I’ll post an update. Thanks again for all your input.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Well folks I just got off the phone with my tuner and the smaller pulley worked. If I run into any issue after driving a bit I’ll post an update. Thanks again for all your input.
youre running a d1 correct? id be interested to know what boost you made at what rpm

Badaz01

Established Member
youre running a d1 correct? id be interested to know what boost you made at what rpm
yes I am it made #13 @ 6200 rpm before it started slipping.

Badaz01

Established Member
Well update on the ars tensioner. It’s not working but to no surprise it seems to be in the 9 o clock position where the oem tensioner was in the 11 o clock position. Almost seems as though the ars tensioner is fully tensioned with no more room to make tension. So my question is what tensioner is the best single bolt for an 01 cobra I need help I’m shredding belts just spent 525 for a tensioner that isint worth a damn on my car. I know there are countless threads but they are all 18 years old and when I try to click on 18 year old links guys left 18 years ago they no longer exist.

omj

Established Member
Shredding belts is usually an alignment issue. I was having a terrible time until I got a laser tool and aligned them.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
The thump tensioner, even the revised one doesn’t clock right imho

I put another stock one on for now

I agree that a shredded belt is an alignment problem now that you put a smaller idler on the tensioner

Edit: if you’re ever gonna go 8 rib just do it now and align it once

omj

Established Member

I agree that a shredded belt is an alignment problem now that you put a smaller idler on the tensioner

Is it made differently than the oem design? Mine works perfect but it is a 3 bolt cover.

Badaz01

Established Member
Is it made differently than the oem design? Mine works perfect but it is a 3 bolt cover.
Mine is a one bolt and it seems the ars tensioner is in the 9-10 o clock position where my oem was in the 10-11 o clock position.

I thought the same thing about the alignment deal. I’m gonna look into some f250 8 rib pulleys and a grip tech pulley for the procharger

omj

Established Member
At the same time I lasered my pulley, I added an extra idler between the alternator and ps pump. No idea if it helped or not lol

Users who are viewing this thread