American racing headers, who's got them with the catted x-pipe...trouble ?

jojobee

Established Member
I just ordered 1 3/4 ARH headers for my 2012GT with the catted x-pipe and the non catted elbow to make them offroad on demand.

ARH were recommending 1 7/8 but two tuners including JDM said that dyno results showed that the torque loss was too much with these bigger headers.

After speaking directly with Nick (the ARH owner) he mentionned that his cats should be removed when doing dyno works and going racing.

We all know that heat burns cats especially if the tune is wrong and the pcm sends more fuel to cool down the cats but i cant find any recent posts for cats issue with headers.

I had Magnaflow x-pipe and h/f cats but they melted....not sure if it was the tune or defect.

So, who's running catted ARH header and how do you drive your car (street only ,racing...)

Anybody has had a bad experience with catted x on headers ?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Last edited:

jojobee

Established Member
Forgot to mention that my local tuner reported that he had 3 gt500 with arh cats that melted so i'm really wondering about the durability of the arh cats.
Hopefully many of you guys have some good experience with these catted x and lt.I know the headers are great, just wondering if ill take the risk to run the cats at all.

Last edited:

old_goat

Established Member
My 2005 GTO (400 crank hp stock, 378 rwhp with mods) and 2009 G8 GXP (415 crank hp stock, 409 rwhp with mods) both had ARH 1 7/8 long tubes with high flow cat's and never had a hint of a problem, and both made plenty of passes at the drag strip.

jojobee

Established Member
My 2005 GTO (400 crank hp stock, 378 rwhp with mods) and 2009 G8 GXP (415 crank hp stock, 409 rwhp with mods) both had ARH 1 7/8 long tubes with high flow cat's and never had a hint of a problem, and both made plenty of passes at the drag strip.

Tks for the input, would really like to get more feedback,from svtp members
I'm sure a lot of guys have these headers.

old_goat

Established Member
Tks for the input, would really like to get more feedback,from svtp members
I'm sure a lot of guys have these headers.

No problem. I am a SVTP member as my DD is a 2013 Mustang GT. I was also reading your concern with heat on the cats, maybe I was mistaken thinking that heat is heat, whether in a GM, Ford, or Chrysler.

I've also made plenty of passes with catted ARH 1 7/8 long tubes.

Again, I guess I thought I fit your 'criteria' and was just trying to help.

jojobee

Established Member
No problem. I am a SVTP member as my DD is a 2013 Mustang GT. I was also reading your concern with heat on the cats, maybe I was mistaken thinking that heat is heat, whether in a GM, Ford, or Chrysler.

I've also made plenty of passes with catted ARH 1 7/8 long tubes.

Again, I guess I thought I fit your 'criteria' and was just trying to help.

Thanks for trying to help, since i ordered the cat delete option ill run the car catless and if its too loud or dont like the smell i will put the cats on.
Since i had a bad experience with my catted x pipe from Magnaflow im probably more worried than i should.

acrbill

Established Member
I read an article awhile back that compared headers with those exact tube specs. In the end they said that any loss of torque is negligible and you may as well go with the 1-7/8 but if you already have 1-3/4 its not worth it to make the jump.

Users who are viewing this thread