Amazon TV deal question for the experts here.

oldmodman

Established Member
I read a lot of the reviews on the TV and they were hit or miss.

The one common complaint was the absolutely terrible customer service. It was rated either bad or none.

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
The Samsung it was compared to was only $10 more, I added it to a cart to see the price. If you had to be in that price range I'd be more comfortable going with samsung. It did only have 2 hdmi inputs compared to 3 with the tv you posted tho.

I agree with holding out for at least 120hz tho if you could. Check vizio out, solid tv's IMO for the price.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
I just picked up a 50" Insignia LED with a 5yr warranty from Best Buy for $470. That includes tax & warranty. Not a bad TV for the money. Definitely doesn't hold a candle to my 65st60, but not most does to the last gen's Panasonic's. It's the 50D550NA15

Last edited:

Rings

Established Member
Samsung has the WORST customer service Ive EVER heard of!

Insignia is samsungs "knock off brand", basically last years models with a different name plastered on them.

If youre going to purchase either, go through best buy or something similar and get THEIR warranty vs the manufacturer's. $50/4yrs is pretty decent deal.

Also, Best buy has a LOT of open boxes(in my area) right now...AND black Friday is coming up!

FIVEHOE

Established Member

Insignia is samsungs "knock off brand", basically last years models with a different name plastered on them.

If youre going to purchase either, go through best buy or something similar and get THEIR warranty vs the manufacturer's. $50/4yrs is pretty decent deal.

Also, Best buy has a LOT of open boxes(in my area) right now...AND black Friday is coming up!

I've had nothing but good experiences with Samsung and I've had my tv for 5 years. Maybe you've had some bad personal experiences?

Granted I did go with the extended warranty from Fry's electronics which I ended up having to use. But they were super cool about it and replaced my entire tv with an equally valued 1080 (original was 720).

Rings

Established Member
I've had nothing but good experiences with Samsung and I've had my tv for 5 years. Maybe you've had some bad personal experiences?

Granted I did go with the extended warranty from Fry's electronics which I ended up having to use. But they were super cool about it and replaced my entire tv with an equally valued 1080 (original was 720).

I only own Samsung and Insignia TVs, Ive helped friends with THEIR issues of buying tvs and washer/dryers. Samsung CUSTOMER SERVICE is what sucks!! Hence why I put get the warranty through best buy or like store. NOT Walmart!!

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
BB's warranty price changes with the price of the item. For the Insignia tv I picked up it's $90/5-years, but you have to go in there and tell them 'I don't want to spend over X amount'. It works and they'll work with you because they know you're ready to buy. Asking what the best price they can do doesn't show you're ready to buy AND it makes them think they don't want to go too low so they get in trouble or too high and they lose the sell to you. If you make it simple and easy on them, they'll do it 99% of the time.

The Insignia 50" LED I picked up (50d550na15) would be $564 after tax and 5yr with the current sale or $638 after tax/5-yr warranty WITHOUT the sale. I used the method above and they went for $470.xx :D

Also, picking up an Insignia (if you're in the market for something cheap in a separate bedroom, etc) is a good route when pairing with a BB warranty as it's BB's brand. They don't care if something happens to it and they have to replace it. Most claims on Insignia's are MUCH quicker than your name brand stuff because they'd rather just replace it for you and be done with it

BlueSnake01

Established Member

Don't think he said the TV's suck just has bad customer service. I wouldnt know either, I have an old 720P 50 inch plasma Samsung and still works flawlessly. Had it for 6 going on 7 years.

BlueSnake01

Established Member

Half wrong, some panels are from LG while others are from Samsung. Depends on the model.

I would agree on the rest, Best Buy warranty is somewhat pricey but you can knock it off with some talk and they're very good about it. 99% of the time, they'll replace it with a newer model.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
Yeah Insignia used to be solely LG models from the previous year. Now they use a few different ones

I just picked up one as my Samsung 50a550 went out. Yes..A model :) Lasted awhile! Got it in late '08. Pretty sure it needed a main board replacement (at least), but they're getting harder to find and I didn't want to deal with the replacement, if it didn't work, etc. Sold it for $75 to someone who repairs tv's and makes a small profit on 'em.

GodStang

Established Member
Just FYI usually the best deals on TVs are 2 weeks BEFORE black Friday. I am usually in charge of getting a few every year and that seems to be when the prices drop. If you wait till Black Friday/Cyber Monday prices are usually up and only crap tvs are for sell then cause they know people are looking.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Definitely get a warranty through Best Buy if you choose Best Buy. I've had 4 Samsung plasma TVs. 3 were great/exceptional. But 1 had an issue that required me to deal with their customer service people. HORRIBLE! The problem was never fully resolved even after I paid around $500. for a Samsung service call just after the regular warranty expired. The brand is excellent UNLESS you have to deal with their customer service. I think my next TV will be a Vizio.

TommyJ

Established Member
A lot of people buy the television warranties offered at Costco, even if they didn't purchase the TV there. That's what I did with my Panasonic and you can get 5 years additional coverage for a fraction of the price BB charges. There is a set timeframe that you are eligible to purchase the warranty and you must submit a copy of the receipt. I believe if the TV breaks, the warranty company will pay for a replacement or cover the initial purchase price. I forget what additional coverage it offers, but I'm hoping to never have to use it...

Users who are viewing this thread