Amazon Racing/Horsepower By Hermann Anti-hop Shocks

03DOHC

Established Member
I was going to do a step by step install of these shocks, but I didn't. Sorry. I did snap a few pics and will give a little narration.

You need to start somewhere and you start by removing the trunk panels. Remove these clips from each side.

Last edited:

03DOHC

Established Member
Remove the little retainers on the top of the side panels. Remove the small plastic panel by the trunk release. After that pull the side panel out from the bottom. Do the same for both sides.

03DOHC

Established Member
This is the top of the shock. You should be able to hold the top of the shock with a small adjustable wrench and use a larger adjustable wrench on the nut. I couldn't get any metric or standard sockets or wrenches to fit.

Remove the nut and hardware.

03DOHC

Established Member
This is where I stopped taking pictures. It's pretty simple from here though.

When you get the trunk panels removed and the top shock hardware removed it's time to move to the underside of the car.

I jacked up one side at a time, put a jackstand under the car and removed the wheel. It's easier to get at the lower shock bolt this way.

Remove the bolt and the shock comes out.

You're half way there now.

The AR/HPH shocks are labeled driver's side and passenger's side. Install the shock and lower shock bolts as per AR/HBH instructions.

Put it all together and go for a ride!:burnout:

03DOHC

Established Member
I only had a few chances to get on it tonight so there is definately going to be more time before I can say whether or not it cured my wheelhop.

I generally experience wheelhop when it is cold outside or it's wet, and the tires are barely breaking loose. My first run with Larry in the car resulted in a giant DOH! Friggin traction control was on. DUH.:D Try number two. From a slow roll in first gear about 2500 rpm I punched it. Under these conditions my car will start to lose traction at about 3500rpm and that's when she starts hopping like a bunny. Surprisingly she didn't react violently at all. It didn't hop hop, but the tires kind of spun and caught traction a few times WITHOUT the up and down hopping motion.

Seems pretty good so far. I'll wait for it to rain again and get colder and give it more time. But so far they seem to work pretty well.

On the full stiff setting the shocks ride slightly softer than stock. It appears that the AR/HBH shock compression is a little softer than the Bilsteins but the rebound is STIFF. I guess the combination is what makes them work for preventing wheelhop.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by LIGHTNING LARRY
Dan your Cobra screams. Thanks for the ride. :beer: :beer:
Thank YOU for everything!:beer:

Oh, and here's a pic of Larry's sweet Lightning.

Hope you don't mind Larry!

Last edited:

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
03DOHC, seems easy enough. Do you plan on Springs and bushings with those shock or you gonna wait and see if the shocks will fix the problem? Sweet Lightning, Larry.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by 03snake
03DOHC, seems easy enough. Do you plan on Springs and bushings with those shock or you gonna wait and see if the shocks will fix the problem? Sweet Lightning, Larry.

Once you get the trunk stuff out of the way it's pretty easy. There's only one bolt holding the shock on the bottom so it goes quickly after that.

I'm not going to do the springs and I'm happy with the ride height. I might do the bushings if the shocks don't take care of the hop.:thumbsup: :burnout:

03DOHC

Established Member
Here's a shock pic. And a pic of the adjuster.

attachment.php

attachment.php

matt lankford

all is sold
see my post on the main page. if you have a lift or big ass jackstands you dont have to take off the tires, i did the whole install in 30 min with a lift, washing my hands 3 times so i wouldnt get my new nextel dirty calling rick to ask questions, i lost the directions..

Users who are viewing this thread