Amazon Fire TV/Stick thread

96dreamer

Established Member
Based off a recommendation in the cord cutting thread I picked up a fire TV, from Toys R Us of all places. I plan on installing Kodi and playing around with the apps and 3rd party downloads available for that. Figured with all the talk about Kodi setups in the other thread it may warrant its own dedicated thread. Feel free to discuss an other apple tv, rasberry pi, or dedicated streaming devices you have set up. Or let this die if there is no interest, ill be busy binge watching something.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I have a firestick still in the box from Christmas. I want to put kodi on it but I heard its illegal? I heard its treated like pirating movies. So i've been hesitant about doing it.

Arrickh

Established Member
I have a firestick still in the box from Christmas. I want to put kodi on it but I heard its illegal? I heard its treated like pirating movies. So i've been hesitant about doing it.
Fact of the matter is that so many people do it they can't punish everyone. There's probably literally millions. I wouldn't worry about it

CompOrange04

Just livin the dream...
Established Member
when doing the titanium add on do you have to delete anything or once it's installed its the default interface when you open the kodi app? I have had mine on my fire tv for awhile but it just pisses me off bc it seems so difficult to use so after watching the titanium build video it seems so much easier!

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
when doing the titanium add on do you have to delete anything or once it's installed its the default interface when you open the kodi app? I have had mine on my fire tv for awhile but it just pisses me off bc it seems so difficult to use so after watching the titanium build video it seems so much easier!

you dont have to remove anything. just watch a few videos on youtube about installing kodi/titanium and be sure to read the comments below the video for extra tips. that really helped when i got stuck at one point and people in the comments explained what to do.

worst case, if the install doesnt go right (which happened to me), you can reset the fire tv to default settings and start over. it doesnt hurt anything.

if you want to give it a try and have any questions or run into any trouble just post here and we can help out.

at first i thought you could only install kodi using a computer and then transferring it to your fire tv which seemed a little complex. then i found that you can install it right on your box with no computer at all. it was pretty easy. on scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being expert nsa hacker difficulty id give it about a 2/3.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
I installed the "Apps2Fire" app on my phone to put kodi on the FireTv box then followed the video on what to do after that.

Mine wouldn't force close so I had to unplug it and plug it back in. That was the only hangup I had.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
For those waiting for a Fire device, theres a mid range device coming out soon. It will be between a Fire TV and Fire Stick. Seeing as they are all out of stock right now in most local places and online, might be good to wait.

The new device is rumoured to also output HDR video, so in a way its an upgrade over the Fire TV as well.

If you need to have a Fire TV ASAP, I would recommend getting a refurbished one from Amazon. Prime members get next day delivery for free and they are in stock. Bought mine last week and have no issues with it at all.

96dreamer

Established Member
If you need to have a Fire TV ASAP, I would recommend getting a refurbished one from Amazon. Prime members get next day delivery for free and they are in stock. Bought mine last week and have no issues with it at all.
I was looking at the refurb ones but didn't like the number of negative reviews claiming d.o.a. boxes. I got free shipping on mine through toys r us, albeit not 2 day shipping but i'm hoping I have it by this weekend to play with. I definitely don't need one but got the bug Saturday night while the wife was working. Space insn't an issue for me since all my av equipment is behind the wall the tv is mounted on in a spare bedroom.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I was looking at the refurb ones but didn't like the number of negative reviews claiming d.o.a. boxes. I got free shipping on mine through toys r us, albeit not 2 day shipping but i'm hoping I have it by this weekend to play with. I definitely don't need one but got the bug Saturday night while the wife was working. Space insn't an issue for me since all my av equipment is behind the wall the tv is mounted on in a spare bedroom.
I was in the same boat but still took the bite, worst came to worse, i wouldve returned it and get my money back. But happy that I didn’t have to go thru that. I made sure I installed all the streaming apps and tried on the DTS to make sure everything was working perfectly fine and it was.

Ordering from Best Buy or Amazon had a week or so delayed for shipping even with 2 day free shipping. I got lucky with 2 of my Fire Sticks, Best Buy had received some shippments and got it delivered in 2 days from the date I ordered them. Funny thing, I had ordered another fire stick 3 days earlier and that one arrived almost 2 weeks later.
easiest to buy one with kodi already installed ...
Why spend double the money for 1 when you can buy 2 and install them in under 5 min each?

Blown 89

Established Member
It's not illegal. Yet another example of the media that can't get anything right.

Equalbracket

Established Member
Bought the fire stick as a gift for someone and then found out they can purchase stuff and it's linked to your amazon account, just fyi.

paintballpyro1

Established Member
I just bought the fire TV, loaded Kodi with Exodus on it. Like it so far, haven't played around with it much.

Any other apps that are recommended to load?

txrunner

Established Member
I've been using Kodi with "The Beast TV" for about 2 years now. Works great. Only thing is I don't get any sports so I still have basic cable for local news & football.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
i have a firetv and it sucks. They are known for having issues working with netflix, in fact right now the voice is so far out of sync on netflix it is not even watchable. not to mention the junk remotes, Amazon is FILLED with complaints about failed remotes. Side loaded kodi and then the netflix app wouldn't even open so i removed kodi.

My Nvidia shield tv on the other hand runs flawlessly. Kodi never buffers like my ebay android box did. I really do enjoy Kodi, dont miss directv on bit.

How do you guys feel about running a VPN? Like IP Vanish or similar, does it unlock more content?

Users who are viewing this thread