Amateur detailing results

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Like many of you, I’d spent years doing everything by hand because I was too afraid to try using a DA. We’ve all heard the stories and there’s enough info out there to make your head spin. Which pad, which chemicals, how hard do I push, what RPM on the DA... Well, after seeing how my brother-in-law’s C5Z turned out, I grew ambitious. Bought a Torq 21mm throw DA that came with some products from Chemical Guys. My first time using the DA was on a neglected ‘04 F150 that serves as our shop mule at work. Great canvas for experimenting with the different pads and compounds plus it wouldn’t matter if I had a whoopsie or two.
Untreated side:
Image1591030651.833032.jpg

After some messing around:
Image1591030686.779372.jpg

I wasn’t shooting for perfection, but it was good practice and it’s a definite improvement.

Next up was my RS. I knew it needed to be clayed because I had gotten overspray on the hood and fender when I painted the patio furniture. I spent way too much time testing the Chemical Guys compounds on the hood and ended up going with Meguiar’s products as their compound seemed to give me more consistent results with less farting around. Here’s how she turned out:
Wash
Clay bar
Wash
Dry
Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound with Chemical Guys’ white hex pad at about medium speed (4300rpm)
Meguiar’s Ultimate Polish with their black finishing pad also medium speed
Meguiar’s Ultimate Wax with a different finishing pad at lowest speed setting (1800rpm)
Topped it off with Meguiar’s Hybrid Ceramic detailing spray just as a cherry on top and because the bottle was conveniently sitting in the right place at the right time lol

2016 with 32k miles. Been through two WI winters.
Image1591032343.945654.jpg

Image1591032356.160261.jpg

Image1591032367.249603.jpg

Once the app quits fighting with me, I’ll add two more pics.
Considering how well everything turned out on a fairly bland color, I’m looking forward to solid results on Old Blue. If you’ve been on the fence about using a DA and/or the process in general, just go for it. Be patient, go slow, figure out your magic pad/speed/compound trio, and let her rip. It’s just like a good paint job; the best results come from good preparation.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Thank you!
I wish it would let me post a shot of the whole car, but the app is still having a stroke apparently.
When I get to the Cobra, I may do some before and after shots. I'll eventually do the Fiesta as well. I think it'll turn out great given the overall condition of the Kona Blue. Another 2016 with 29k on it...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Like many of you, I’d spent years doing everything by hand because I was too afraid to try using a DA. We’ve all heard the stories and there’s enough info out there to make your head spin. Which pad, which chemicals, how hard do I push, what RPM on the DA... Well, after seeing how my brother-in-law’s C5Z turned out, I grew ambitious. Bought a Torq 21mm throw DA that came with some products from Chemical Guys. My first time using the DA was on a neglected ‘04 F150 that serves as our shop mule at work. Great canvas for experimenting with the different pads and compounds plus it wouldn’t matter if I had a whoopsie or two.
Untreated side:
View attachment 1643752
After some messing around:
View attachment 1643753
I wasn’t shooting for perfection, but it was good practice and it’s a definite improvement.

Next up was my RS. I knew it needed to be clayed because I had gotten overspray on the hood and fender when I painted the patio furniture. I spent way too much time testing the Chemical Guys compounds on the hood and ended up going with Meguiar’s products as their compound seemed to give me more consistent results with less farting around. Here’s how she turned out:
Wash
Clay bar
Wash
Dry
Meguiar’s Ultimate Compound with Chemical Guys’ white hex pad at about medium speed (4300rpm)
Meguiar’s Ultimate Polish with their black finishing pad also medium speed
Meguiar’s Ultimate Wax with a different finishing pad at lowest speed setting (1800rpm)
Topped it off with Meguiar’s Hybrid Ceramic detailing spray just as a cherry on top and because the bottle was conveniently sitting in the right place at the right time lol

2016 with 32k miles. Been through two WI winters.
View attachment 1643757
View attachment 1643758
View attachment 1643759

Once the app quits fighting with me, I’ll add two more pics.
Considering how well everything turned out on a fairly bland color, I’m looking forward to solid results on Old Blue. If you’ve been on the fence about using a DA and/or the process in general, just go for it. Be patient, go slow, figure out your magic pad/speed/compound trio, and let her rip. It’s just like a good paint job; the best results come from good preparation.
Congratulations on (1) deciding to tackle detailing, (2) successfully producing great results.

5.0Black

Established Member
Nice work! Always a gratifying feeling seeing your hard work efforts on a mirror finish car!

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Thanks guys. Little bittersweet since it appears that I've officially sold her. Ever since I got the company vehicle, she just sits in the garage. I've put maybe 1100 miles on it since April 2019. A friend of mine is buying it, so at least I know it's going to someone who will also appreciate it and it'll actually get driven.

5.0Black

Established Member
Looks good! Good for you for deciding to tackle this and getting good results! A certain sense of gratification seeing your results, a feeling that makes all the effort worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread