Am I missing a crossmember or something?

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Bought my first Mustang last year. Just finished installing headers and x-pipe, and I notice vacant pockets (with two bolt holes) on each side of frame, directly in line with the lower edge of bell housing (pic below). It clearly looks like some sort of bracing or crossmember goes in there, but I am not sure.

Can someone educate me on what's supposed to be there, if anything? Does it matter that it's missing? Thanks

crossmember1.jpg

SS lol

Established Member
Bought my first Mustang last year. Just finished installing headers and x-pipe, and I notice vacant pockets (with two bolt holes) on each side of frame, directly in line with the lower edge of bell housing (pic below). It clearly looks like some sort of bracing or crossmember goes in there, but I am not sure.

Can someone educate me on what's supposed to be there, if anything? Does it matter that it's missing? Thanks

View attachment 1459505

Also looks like it has a Tremec magnum xl transmission. That’s a good thing!

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Recon

Established Member
They’re standard on the S197 I GT500 and GT convertibles not the coupes. Looks like that accurate for the 10 coupe 3V’s too.

Pick your poison.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Thanks very much gents. I guess I'll get one, especially as it's cheap, LOL!

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Thanks again! I ordered the part (and fasteners). Then I started looking around and noticed two empty bolt holes in the same area. There were TWO huge 14mm fasteners missing! I knew the engine had been out, but that is some shoddy work to leave TWO 14mm fasteners missing. I understand we often have an extra bolt left over after engine job, but honestly, if you had TWO 14mm fasteners, wouldn't you triple-check to make sure they were installed back where they belong????? o_O

missingbolts1.jpg

missingbolts1.jpg

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Triple post, argghhhhh, it won't let me delete post or pics, wtf.

missingbolts1.jpg

missingbolts1.jpg

Last edited:

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Dave, I wonder if that brace will fit with that tranny and what do the 14mm fasteners hold?

Scott, I held a straight piece of pipe up there and the brace will easily clear the tranny and bellhousing. It looked like there was one there before, as I could see the marks where the bolts were.

The really troubling thing was the two missing 14mm fasteners. There's one fastener on each side of the big bushing you see in the pic, which is for the lower a-arm. So each big bushing had a missing fastener. I'm glad I was looking around and spotted those missing 14mm pieces, as they are critical. Think about it.... someone was running this car at the track at 130mph with the front end ready to come loose... that's scary stuff.

I gotta say though, this kinda stuff happens all the time when you farm work out to shops. The guys are always in a hurry, busy with a dozen different projects, so it's easy to forget some things.

missingbolts1.jpg

missingbolts1.jpg

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Headers are beautiful. I've put lots of headers on, and these were the very first ones I ever installed that I did not have to dimple or 'massage' into place, LOL. Very refreshing. Kooks makes some quality stuff.

Went for short ride the other day. Wicked exhaust note, very exotic. But it's too loud without the cats. I was gonna re-use the Pypes cats from the old x-pipe, but they were a little bit blown out. So I called Pypes and ordered two new 'Ceramic' cats. The sales guy seemed to think they would hold up. I'll TIG them in and hopefully be good to go!

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Well, the lower control arm brace went right on in about two minutes, especially easy as the car was already on my lift! While I was under there, I TIG'd in some brandie new polished stainless Pypes cats too......
newcats1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread