Am I crazy or is this a good idea ?

mld54

Established Member
I have this idea for a build. A 92-96 Bronco lowered, converted to 2wd, Crown Vic front end and power plant to be determined. Sporty suspension, think first generation Lightning.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Why would you even think of using the SOHC gutless no torque wonder 4.6L is beyond me? As you could get a DOHC 4.6 or 5.4L and be far far better in power and power delivery. And all you would need is different engine mounts for the Bronco as I think all of them during those years was V8 be it 5.0 or 5.8L 302/351. As I have never seen one in that body style and years with the 300 I6 that the F-150's came with as the base engine.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Could be one of a kind and acceptable if done right. I have a 95 Bronco and I once thought about what they would look like lowered in a more performance style but they're just much better suited for offroad builds. What do you mean by the Crown Vic front end though? Just the suspension front end?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I have this idea for a build. A 92-96 Bronco lowered, converted to 2wd, Crown Vic front end and power plant to be determined. Sporty suspension, think first generation Lightning.
Hard no on conversion to 2wd. A conversion to a center differential.... **** yes. add boost and you have a Jeep SRT8 killer.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Also, I would do a Windsor based 427 in it instead. I'm planning to do a more prerunner style build with Desolate Motorsports suspension and I eventually want to have a 427 in mine. That's $24k in parts right there lol.

mld54

Established Member
I should have worded it better. I'm yet to decide the engine, I could do a stroked 5.8. I also have a Dart 347 that's not doing anything. For a transmission a 4R70W or E40D. I also have most of what I would need to turbocharge it.

I already have a 93 coupe that's turbocharged and a stock 93 Lightning. I like the power of the coupe and the handling of the Lightning. The lighting is my daily but it doesn't have enough room. I'm thinking the Bronco could have both with more room and still be able to tow the coupe on a trailer.

My first thought was shorten a 2 wheel drive F150 chassis and put the Bronco body on it. Then I thought why not just use the bronco frame and install the later model 2003-09 CV front suspension. You have to remove the front crossmember anyway for the CV swap so it won't matter that it started as a 4 wheel drive.Set the ride height slightly lower than a stock first generation lightning.

It would be like a slightly shorter Lightning, and it would have more room inside for luggage, people and what ever.

I'm retired with no debt, I don't have any desire to buy a new vehicle. I have a shop and plenty of spare time. The biggest problem is finding a Bronco that's in good shape for a reasonable price.

Something like this.

Unknown.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread