Always on fuel pump boosters safe?

SVTStampede

Established Member
I found some older talks and it looks like this is considered fine/safe for the 17v versions.

Is this still the case for street driven cars? Any fatigue/failure issues?

Thanks, just getting everything lined up and double checking parts. Hopefully blower this week.

Riptide

Established Member
AFAIK there is no actual scientific "proof" that it is a problem. If you think about it, if there is a failure of the booster or the fuel pumps, it is hard to prove that they would not have failed regardless of whether it was always on or not. How do you PROVE that sort of thing? Exactly.

I run mine always on and did as well on my 2006 car.

Opinions will vary on this.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Iv heard it's the temps that can kill the pumps and it's recommended that you keep the tank at at least 1/4 full. Then again like riptide said it could be false.

SVTStampede

Established Member
No point in it when people offer throttle activated setups

While that is true, there is a price and install time difference between, as an example, the VMP booster(always on and like a quick install) and the MSD booster.

Better safe than sorry though I guess.

PurposebuiltGT

Established Member
Iv heard it's the temps that can kill the pumps and it's recommended that you keep the tank at at least 1/4 full. Then again like riptide said it could be false.

Working with pumps in general, typically heat, viscosity of the fluid vs. the flow rate or improperly spec'd cycle duty causes them to fail. There is a factor of safety which allows you to push the pump a little harder but will result in a shortened lifespan.

Users who are viewing this thread