Aluminun DS..Worth it?

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Rotating mass is on too small of a diameter to make a noticeable difference.

Lighter wheels will make a more noticeable difference or an aluminum flywheel.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
It will show up if you pull your trans or do rear end work a lot. The stocker is heavy. I should probably do the math to prove it's worth it. But I tossed my stocker or sold it. Either way it's gone.

01yellercobra

Established Member
An aluminum driveshaft was one of my first mods. I ran the foxbody driveshaft though. I think I paid $150 for it. This was back in 2005 though. Must be worth something since Ford went aluminum in the 03/04's.

railroad

Established Member
I bought the j part number from Ford Motorsports for my 99 Cobra. It does make a difference in throttle response and reduced vibration. You will get used to it and not remember the change after about a week of driving.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
It's a 6lb difference spinning on a 1.5" radius. Glad so many here can feel that difference.

96gt02

Established Member
If you have no other mods left to do then id say get one.

01yellercobra

Established Member
It's a 6lb difference spinning on a 1.5" radius. Glad so many here can feel that difference.

I honestly don't remember if I felt anything. I remember there being something about it being less rotational mass. If anything like what was mentioned, it's easier to drag out from under the car when doing work.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I will say that all my cars have an aluminum ds under them, my 99 has one because it came with the t56 kit from D&D. Race car had one when I bought it.

All I'm saying is it's a very small change, it's like someone saying they could tell a difference between throttle bodies on a stock displacement 4.6l dohc.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
It will show up if you pull your trans or do rear end work a lot. The stocker is heavy. I should probably do the math to prove it's worth it. But I tossed my stocker or sold it. Either way it's gone.

Well which is it? lol j/k

Users who are viewing this thread