Aluminum IRS Bushings

cobradude111

Established Member
Will installing aluminum irs bushings fix my vibe at 85+mph? Where is the best place to get them? Is the bushing removal tool really neccesary? What other mods should I do while the irs is out of the car?
Thanks

Last edited:

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
cobradude111 said:
Will installing aluminum irs bushings fix my vibe at 85+mph? No, that is typically driveshaft related, there is a service bulletin, search

Where is the best place to get them? Aluminum front differential bushings are available from several sources, best is Maximum Motorsports

Is the bushing removal tool really neccesary? that is for the uca/lca bushings and yes they make it easier

What other mods should I do while the irs is out of the car? Billetflow Rear Diff cover brace
Thanks

Also read the red pill

cobradude111

Established Member
I had my driveshaft checked out and it seems to be balanced. Are people just replacing their driveshafts? I am thinking the vibe is caused by incorrect pinion angle. You can see where the u joint has been hitting the driveshaft. Thanks for the tip. The red pill definitly will help with the removal of the irs....seems so much easier now
:beer:

Last edited:

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
cobradude111 said:
...snip...You can see where the u joint has been hitting the driveshaft. ...snip...:

oooooh, that is extra bad. U-Joints OK?

Has this car ever had a broken diff cover? Classic effects of cover breakage, cover breaks, diff falls forward on drive shaft, driveshaft breaks tailhousing on trans. About an $8000 repair unless you got skillz and friends in the know.

Tha middle part where the diff falls on the driveshaft is where damage like you are seeing would have happened.

cobradude111

Established Member
postban said:
oooooh, that is extra bad. U-Joints OK?

Has this car ever had a broken diff cover? Classic effects of cover breakage, cover breaks, diff falls forward on drive shaft, driveshaft breaks tailhousing on trans. About an $8000 repair unless you got skillz and friends in the know.

Tha middle part where the diff falls on the driveshaft is where damage like you are seeing would have happened.
The u joints are fine. The cover has never been broken. I will get some pics tonight of the drive shaft and post them up.
Thanks man

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
cobradude111 said:
The u joints are fine. The cover has never been broken. I will get some pics tonight of the drive shaft and post them up.
Thanks man

I believe pinion angle being off can amplify a driveshaft that is even a little off.

I've been planning on doing the bushings to eliminate that variable then follow it up with a quality aftermarket driveshaft.

cobradude111

Established Member
cobradude111 said:
Thanks man
Here are the pics.....let me know what you think
f9mdl5.jpg

f9mdc6.jpg

f9me4j.jpg

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Only way the u-joint could get that much travel and do that much damage is insane wheelhop or a broken cover. Are you the original owner?

dougwg

Established Member
looks almost just like this....
DriveShaft.jpg

This was causd by the rear cover breaking...

are you the first owner?

if so, how many miles were on the car when you took delivery

cobradude111

Established Member
I am not the original owner. I guess its possible the cover has been broken before. The car has koni adjustable shocks on it that I didnt even know were on there, so I guess there is a good chance that it has been broken before. Do you really think the ds or at least the yoke and u-joint should be replaced?

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
cobradude111 said:
...snip...Do you really think the ds or at least the yoke and u-joint should be replaced?

Complete Driveshaft assembly from pinion flange to output shaft flange, both yokes, both u joints. Also inspect trans for hairline cracks, specifically the tailhousing. Inspect diff for cracks at the ears and on the cover.

Get ahold of whoever sold it to you to and :burn:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
if you don't want to spend all that money I'd suggest replacing yoke and/or u-joints, put a driveshaft loop on (I recommend Metco) and drive the piss out of it

for the vibe, see here: Joe Lynch

Last edited:

sicboy

you talkin to me?
Established Member
that may have been causud by some dork going for a test drive before tightening the yoke bolts.

cobradude111

Established Member
postban said:
Complete Driveshaft assembly from pinion flange to output shaft flange, both yokes, both u joints. Also inspect trans for hairline cracks, specifically the tailhousing. Inspect diff for cracks at the ears and on the cover.

Get ahold of whoever sold it to you to and :burn:
I have put 20 k on the car since I have had it. I think the tranny is fine. I will check out the diff when I finish getting the irs out next week. How much does a new driveshaft cost? Best place to get one?
Thanks

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
cobradude111 said:
...snip... How much does a new driveshaft cost? Best place to get one?
Thanks

They are only like $250 iirc

It comes as a complete assembly too. Once you apply forces other than rotational to a driveshaft they get funny.

There is always this option;
555707_129_full.jpg

Cost $430, Metal Matrix Composite Custom Driveshaft balanced to 8000 rpms and good for 900rwhp made by www.dynotecheng.com

Sold my stocker without yoke for $120 a year ago.

Users who are viewing this thread