aluminum block for rebuild

orange04

Established Member
I need to rebuild my shortblock due to piston scuffing and was thinking about using the aluminum block. I have an engine out of a cobra but I dont know if it is a Teksid block or not. The engineering number on the side of the block
is F6LE-6015-AA. Ive searched and cant find anything that references this number. Ive checked several other cobras and found a 99 had XR3E-6015-CA
and I checked a 98 which had a 6015-FHR. Is there another way to check to see if I have the stronger block I need. Thanks for any help in advance.

99BOSS

Established Member
I have a new Explorer/Cobra block that Id sell. I dont have a # in front of me right now but I know its a newer casting with the added webbing in the valley. I'd sell it for $450.

Boss 330

Established Member
orange04 said:
I need to rebuild my shortblock due to piston scuffing and was thinking about using the aluminum block. I have an engine out of a cobra but I dont know if it is a Teksid block or not. The engineering number on the side of the block
is F6LE-6015-AA. Ive searched and cant find anything that references this number. Ive checked several other cobras and found a 99 had XR3E-6015-CA
and I checked a 98 which had a 6015-FHR. Is there another way to check to see if I have the stronger block I need. Thanks for any help in advance.
The F6LE block is a '93-'98 MKVIII/Cobra Teksid block. It is regarded as the best aluminum 4.6 block

orange04

Established Member
Thanks 99 boss but I have an aluminum block and just wanted to know if it was the Teksid block.

Boss330, Is there any printed info anywhere that would state that this is a Teksid block or is there any other identification marks. Its not that I dont believe you its just that anything Ive found on the internet references the
6010 part #s and different suffixes. Ive read somewhere that you can count the ribbings in the valley, is there any truth to that? Thanks again for your reply.

oxfordman03

In Denial
Established Member
Check with Sean Hyland Motorsports. They can tell you for sure. I thought SVT dumped the aluminum block for the Terminators because they could not handle the extra power from the supercharger. (Split the aluminum block down the drivers side row of cylinders). Talk to them.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
oxfordman03 said:
Check with Sean Hyland Motorsports. They can tell you for sure. I thought SVT dumped the aluminum block for the Terminators because they could not handle the extra power from the supercharger. (Split the aluminum block down the drivers side row of cylinders). Talk to them.

That was because all that they had were the 99 and newer style WAP aluminum cobra blocks. They are about 1/3rd the strength of the 93-98, and some 99 Teksid blocks that are found in the 96-98, and early 99 Cobras. The teksid block was manufactured in Italy by Teksid, who also builds a lot of stuff for Ferrari. The WAP block's were a FORD in house design, and not nearly as strong as the Teksid block. If Ford still had access to the Teksid blocks then we would have had them in our 03/04 cobras. The WAP blocks are very bad about splitting down the middle.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Hissman, I doubt the Teksid is 3X as strong at the newer block. That is a very significant increase and the diffrences between the two would be quite apparent. If that was the case someone really screwed on the design on the newer engine. That would pretty much put the Mach 1 engine right at the design limit as delivered from the factory.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
SlowSVT said:
Hissman, I doubt the Teksid is 3X as strong at the newer block. That is a very significant increase and the diffrences between the two would be quite apparent. If that was the case someone really screwed on the design on the newer engine. That would pretty much put the Mach 1 engine right at the design limit as delivered from the factory.

Someone did screw up on the new design, of that there is no question. I was exagerating with 3X's, but it does appear to be anywhere from 40-60% stronger.

oldmodman

Established Member
There was an entire row of wrecked Lincolns with that engine in them at Pick Your Part in Sun Valley a couple of months ago. I think that the engine goes for about 175.00 But you have to go out and pull it yourself. I've yanked lots of parts off of dead cars at the do it yourself wrecking yards. That would probably be the cheapest way to get a Teksid block to build up. I know it's a lot of work but you will save a lot of money.

Users who are viewing this thread