Aluminator Engine or Custom Short Block?

13 GT/CS

Established Member
My car is currently making 600+hp and 500+tq to the back wheels. Its a daily driver for now but will be a drag focused car in the near future.
I would like to be able to crank the boost and get around 800rwhp but I don't know which is better.
Sell my engine and use that money for an Aluminator?
Or just go to MMR, BBR, JPC, or one of the many other companies and get them to build me a shortblock?
Im still learning so don't kill me if this is a dumb question, to hear some pros and cons would be nice.
All replies are appreciated thanks!!!

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
Aluminators are good motors but the weakness with all motors that are built and not supported of Sleeved is the water jackets. I wouldn't push the Aluminators past 900rwhp. FRPP has talked about the water jackets letting go around 850rwhp. Call around for price quotes on the short block build, but if I knew I would only want 800-900rwhp and be happy if plop an aluminator into my car and be done with it. They have nice valve springs & OPGs which will support a safe 850rwhp with no issues. Sell ur stock motor for $3000-4000 and buy an aluminator.

I don't like to go against fourm vendors but I've heard from two people now around my immediate area of the horror stories of dealing with one In particular, PM me for the name.

JPC/RGR would be one of a few shops I would trust to build my motor, the rest I couldn't comment on.

Last edited:

prn1972

Established Member
If you will never want anymore than 800-900whp go with the Aluminator. And sale your motor to recoup some money. From what I have seen the problem with the Aluminator is the pistons. They are not really made for boost. I personally know of a few that the piston/ring land let go causing blow by at around 950whp. Keep it at 900whp or below & it should be fine. Go custom built if you plan on going for more. You can't beat MMR's prices but they are slow. Plenty of reviews on them to make your own mind up. If you have the money I would just go with JPC/rgr or L&M Engines. They are the top 2 builders IMO.

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
^ Yeah correct! The Aluminators are really awesome little motors for sure and one hell of a steal when u really look at the big picture.

stangn

Established Member
I know the big shops are good and always in the spot light, but there are smaller shops that will build a good motor as well . You'll pay less for the same parts and labor. Outside of the 4 valves and extra timing chains it's all the same. Aluminator use Mahle pistons that are forged 4032 not the stronger 2618, 03 cobra/Manley rods with a stock 5.0 crank and oil pump.

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
If your only looking to make 800rwhp or so I would go with an aluminator. It'll be less work on your part and cost a whole lot less then going with a custom shortblock.

If you were looking to hit the 4 digit mark then I would consider going with an shortblock. Most of these motors with just rods and pistons will live happily in the 800-900rwhp range.

That's my honest 2 cents.

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
My car is currently making 600+hp and 500+tq to the back wheels. Its a daily driver for now but will be a drag focused car in the near future.
I would like to be able to crank the boost and get around 800rwhp but I don't know which is better.
Sell my engine and use that money for an Aluminator?
Or just go to MMR, BBR, JPC, or one of the many other companies and get them to build me a shortblock?
Im still learning so don't kill me if this is a dumb question, to hear some pros and cons would be nice.
All replies are appreciated thanks!!!

We would recommend getting your short and long term goals inline and plan for that future.
the line in the sand with mod engines seems to be 1000 flywheel HP give or take a % or so.
If you stay south of that a factory liner is fine.
If you plan to go North of that power # plan on a sleeved piece from jump street.

pro to crate engine cost

con to crate engine
piston material
time and attention to detail
inability to make custom changes like pin upgrade, double keying of crank and so on

Last edited:

13 GT/CS

Established Member
If your only looking to make 800rwhp or so I would go with an aluminator. It'll be less work on your part and cost a whole lot less then going with a custom shortblock.

If you were looking to hit the 4 digit mark then I would consider going with an shortblock. Most of these motors with just rods and pistons will live happily in the 800-900rwhp range.

That's my honest 2 cents.

Maybe I read this wrong but are you saying I could just add pistons and rods to my stock engine/block and be ok..?

stangn

Established Member
Pretty much, there are Little things like oil pump gears and valve springs you should do as well.

I'm Doing my own build. Slowly been buying parts and almost ready to go.

06Bluerex

Established Member
if your going to be at 800whp then i would just do the aluminator, easy swap long block ready to go. take your current stock motor out and sell it to recoup at least half of the money back and less headache since its already assembled and ready for drop in. most places have it in stock and can ship out to you right away with a warranty if im not mistaken, to me this seems like a no brainer. im in the same boat as you, making the same power and will be going this route since it seems much easier and convenient for me if i dont decide to part out my car and trade it in.

Last edited:

CSG

Established Member
Aluminator gets my vote. They can handle a lot of power and are the much cheaper option overall. It takes a lot of money and effort to build/keep a car together that is making enough power to brake the aluminator so it is the best choice for the majority of people.

Users who are viewing this thread