Alton Sterling shooting - Baton Rouge, LA

10splaya22

Established Member
I didn't see this posted anywhere. From the video it seems like another case where force used was unjustified.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/06/us/baton-rouge-shooting-alton-sterling/

Graphic video of shooting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckuUk9R5ES0

CNN said:
A second video showing the shooting death of Alton Sterling, a black man shot several times while being held on the ground by police outside a Louisiana convenience store, was posted online Wednesday as federal authorities took charge of the investigation and local officials asked residents to keep their protests peaceful.

The video, obtained by CNN, shows another angle and was recorded closer to the shooting by one of two white Baton Rouge police officers who were answering a 911 report of a man with a gun. It is the second of two bystander videos that show the encounter. One posted online Tuesday night quickly sparked local protests and drew national attention.
In the new 38-second recording, Sterling is already on the ground, on his back. One officer is kneeling to Sterling's left. The other officer appears to be straddling Sterling's legs. Sterling can be seen from the chest up and his lower legs are also visible. His left arms and hands are not visible; his right arm is by his side.
After gunshots are heard, the camera pans to the right then back to Sterling, who has a large blood stain on his chest. The officer who was on his legs now lies on the pavement above Sterling's head, his gun pointed.
The officer radios for an ambulance. As Sterling moves his left arm toward his face and then his chest, the other officer appears to remove something from one of Sterling's right pockets. Baton Rouge Police Chief Carl Dabadie Jr. said Sterling was armed at the time he was killed and one witness said the officer removed a gun from Sterling's pocket.
Sterling, a 37-year-old man who sold CDs and DVDs outside the store, died of his wounds. The officers involved in Tuesday's shooting -- Blane Salamoni and Howie Lake II -- have been placed on administrative leave. A source close to the investigation told CNN the officers were interviewed Tuesday night.

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
Yes, all of my FB newsfeed has turned into SJW suma cum laude yale lawyer analysis of a video. Reddit has already convicted the police officer.

Further, I'm not entirely sure if I can be sympathetic to this case. Dude was concealing a firearm (what are the concealed carry laws in Baton Rouge?), didn't comply with police officer orders, and had been reported as threatening people with said firearm. Alternatively, I'm not sure that he deserved 4-6 rounds in his sternum.

I guess between this one and the other guy that got shot at a traffic cop, the BLM movement (which I can't stop thinking as bowel movement) will become more annoying, as if that were even possible.

Last edited:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
He was reported for threatening someone with a gun, failed to comply with officer commands, physically resisted, found to have a gun, then continued to physically resist the officers. What did he expect to happen at that point?

Branhammer

Established Member
He was reported for threatening someone with a gun, failed to comply with officer commands, physically resisted, found to have a gun, then continued to physically resist the officers. What did he expect to happen at that point?

I'll play devil's advocate here. I didn't see a gun in the video. I just heard the cop say "gun!" I don't think we should convict the cops or the man they shot based on the video available. Now that guy up in MN....yeah they murdered him. That was disturbing to watch. And you can tell from the cops reaction in that video that he KNOWS he ****ed up.

Regardless of who is right and wrong (it should be taken on a case by case basis), the police and especially the media are spreading a fear of the police amongst the black community. If I were a black man, no matter how innocent, logical, and compliant I was, my heart would be racing at about 145 BPM anytime I was pulled over for a routine traffic stop.

The media, especially social media, is spreading this fear much like it is spreading a fear of anything from the Middle-East amongst white people.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I'll play devil's advocate here. I didn't see a gun in the video. I just heard the cop say "gun!" I don't think we should convict the cops or the man they shot based on the video available. Now that guy up in MN....yeah they murdered him. That was disturbing to watch. And you can tell from the cops reaction in that video that he KNOWS he ****ed up.

Regardless of who is right and wrong (it should be taken on a case by case basis), the police and especially the media are spreading a fear of the police amongst the black community. If I were a black man, no matter how innocent, logical, and compliant I was, my heart would be racing at about 145 BPM anytime I was pulled over for a routine traffic stop.

The media, especially social media, is spreading this fear much like it is spreading a fear of anything from the Middle-East amongst white people.

Well said. Countless murders happen everyday, but they promote the cop on black stories. They now it is a ratings boom.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
I found a great video of the incident online and unlike what has been shown on the media, this one will show it in detail. I don't know who is right and wrong, but the guy was blown the hell away.

cbj5259

Established Member
Minnesota was a terrible shooting by all accounts. If people have bitch...it's that one. Based on what the reports are in the Baton Rouge case and what can be seen and heard and what was found, these guys will be exonerated. Minnesota is a whole different story...

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Machdup1

Established Member
I'm normally very pro-cop, but this one seems fishy. However, with the recent rash of politically motivated attacks against righteous cops, I expect the officers to get charged,

Steve1578

Established Member
The guy was resisting. Sure, he was pinned down, but you could clearly see the cops struggling to keep him still. He was reported to have a gun on him, which appears to be pulled out near the end of the video(I say appears because I don't know for sure). Was excessive force used? I don't think so. I'm not racist at all, it's just common sense. Yeah, there are plenty of a**hole, power-abusing cops out there, and there has been a lot of said cops caught on tape, however I don't think this is one of them.

I would like to know though - why is it that 99% of the "white cop kills black man" turn out to be the black man with a criminal past? I am not saying that innocent people don't get killed, it happens all the time. But use your heads. It's always "Oh he was a respected member of the community, every one loved him" and then you see that he has a (sometimes extensive) criminal record. All I'm saying is that if the cops are there, and trying to arrest you, there's usually a reason. And I'd say the same if the rolls were reversed, color wise. Show me a video of a man stepping out of a car, obeying every order, and still getting blown away.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I would like to know though - why is it that 99% of the "white cop kills black man" turn out to be the black man with a criminal past?

cant vouch for the source but posted on another forum:

9/09/96 aggravated battery
10/31/97 2nd degree battery
1/06/98 simple battery
5/04/00 public intimidation
9/20/00 carnal knowledge of a juvenile
9/04/01 domestic violence
5/24/05 burglary of an inhabited dwelling place
7/11/05 receiving stolen things
9/12/05 burglary of inhabited dwelling place
3/17/06 simple criminal damage to property, simple robbery, simple theft, drug possession, misrepresentation during booking, simple battery, aggravated battery
4/12/06 aggravated battery, simple criminal damage to property, disturbing the peace, unauthorized entry
4/04/08 domestic abuse battery
6/03/09 resisting an officer, drug possession, receiving stolen things, possession of stolen firearm, illegal carrying of a weapon with CDs, sound reproduct without consent
10/12/09 illegal carrying of weapon, marijuana possession
8/13/15 failure to register as a sex offender
4/08/16 failure to register as a sex offender
6/14/16 ecstacy and marijuana possession

Steve1578

Established Member
cant vouch for the source but posted on another forum:

9/09/96 aggravated battery
10/31/97 2nd degree battery
1/06/98 simple battery
5/04/00 public intimidation
9/20/00 carnal knowledge of a juvenile
9/04/01 domestic violence
5/24/05 burglary of an inhabited dwelling place
7/11/05 receiving stolen things
9/12/05 burglary of inhabited dwelling place
3/17/06 simple criminal damage to property, simple robbery, simple theft, drug possession, misrepresentation during booking, simple battery, aggravated battery
4/12/06 aggravated battery, simple criminal damage to property, disturbing the peace, unauthorized entry
4/04/08 domestic abuse battery
6/03/09 resisting an officer, drug possession, receiving stolen things, possession of stolen firearm, illegal carrying of a weapon with CDs, sound reproduct without consent
10/12/09 illegal carrying of weapon, marijuana possession
8/13/15 failure to register as a sex offender
4/08/16 failure to register as a sex offender
6/14/16 ecstacy and marijuana possession

Is this for Alton Sterling?

FocusSTGuy

Established Member
Shooting is justified in this case. A pedophile, sex offender and felon in possession of an illegal firearm, struggling against police trying to grab the gun in his front right pocket. Justified shooting.

The other one with the guy in the car, not justified.

10splaya22

Established Member
The guy was resisting. Sure, he was pinned down, but you could clearly see the cops struggling to keep him still. He was reported to have a gun on him, which appears to be pulled out near the end of the video(I say appears because I don't know for sure). Was excessive force used? I don't think so. I'm not racist at all, it's just common sense. Yeah, there are plenty of a**hole, power-abusing cops out there, and there has been a lot of said cops caught on tape, however I don't think this is one of them.

I would like to know though - why is it that 99% of the "white cop kills black man" turn out to be the black man with a criminal past? I am not saying that innocent people don't get killed, it happens all the time. But use your heads. It's always "Oh he was a respected member of the community, every one loved him" and then you see that he has a (sometimes extensive) criminal record. All I'm saying is that if the cops are there, and trying to arrest you, there's usually a reason. And I'd say the same if the rolls were reversed, color wise. Show me a video of a man stepping out of a car, obeying every order, and still getting blown away.

Looks like Alton did have a gun, couldn't really see if he was reaching out for it but at the same time its hard to be in the cops shoes thinking like they were at the time. It does seem that the officer didn't need to shoot him like they did but still no excuse to trying to resist arrest and struggle like he did. His criminal background doesn't give him a strong leg to stand on either.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member

I just found out how easy it is for kids, black to be exact, to acquire a criminal record. My nephew got into some trouble and had to go before a judge, he found out that there was also a warrant out for his arrest also when he went before the judge. They added a charge during this hearing and had him plead guilty on the spot to the charge. I told him when he found out they were trying to charge him with something else he should have asked to speak with his lawyer. He's young and didn't know any better so they took advantage of his ignorance and railroaded him. We had a loooooooong talk after I found out about this. I really want to have the case recalled but don't really know how to go about it.

FocusSTGuy

Established Member
I just found out how easy it is for kids, black to be exact, to acquire a criminal record. My nephew got into some trouble and had to go before a judge, he found out that there was also a warrant out for his arrest also when he went before the judge. They added a charge during this hearing and had him plead guilty on the spot to the charge. I told him when he found out they were trying to charge him with something else he should have asked to speak with his lawyer. He's young and didn't know any better so they took advantage of his ignorance and railroaded him. We had a loooooooong talk after I found out about this. I really want to have the case recalled but don't really know how to go about it.

Did he end up with a 20 year criminal record, caught with "Carnal knowledge of a minor", had multiple arrests for having an illegal firearm, resisting arrest....and have to register as a sex offender? Is that easy?

cbj5259

Established Member
File an appeal.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Waiting for the riots and destruction for this "innocent man". Who pointed a gun at the homeless guy who called 911, which they did recover a gun in his pocket. Which he shouldn't have being a multiple felon including sex with a minor in 2000. Course the wife and son are going on about how great he was and he was doing nothing wrong (guess pointing a gun at someone is fine), kid was great a crying on cue. Add to that his aunt saying there is no chance he would have a gun due to his criminal history, and he was a "gentle giant" (same that was said about Brown). Not sure how many gentle giants have domestic abuse convictions and aggravated battery charges...

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member

In the 2nd video you can see them pull the gun out of his pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread