**Alternator - Removal How-To PICS **

Mac99Snake

GSIP
Established Member
My lights started dimming irregularly, so it was time. This thread was a great help, as it took about 2 hours total. A couple notes:

1. Tapping the spacer on the upper mount - agree, a great help

2. Remove the splash shield - agree, also a great help

3. I didn't have to loosen any other mounts / bolts to get it removed, just some twisting and cajoling to get it out through the bottom.

Upon inspection, my removed alternator is a remanufactured unit.

Thanks again.

Mike681

Established Member
Good write up! Just had to put a 3.5in alt pulley on mine along with some idlers. Man, was getting the alt out a pain in the arse! How did you get it out through the bottom without removing any wires or hoses? I had to take the alt bracket off and work it through the top. Thanks again.

Macker

Established Member
Good write up! Just had to put a 3.5in alt pulley on mine along with some idlers. Man, was getting the alt out a pain in the arse! How did you get it out through the bottom without removing any wires or hoses? I had to take the alt bracket off and work it through the top. Thanks again.

I had to do the same. I could not get the Alt to come out the bottom either, though it may have been something to do with the fact I had the car on ramps and not jack stands? Perhaps if the car is on jackstands it might allow the suspension to open up more? I had to take mine out twice......not alot of fun, though you do get better each time. ;-)

Mike681

Established Member
Maybe he meant the top haha. Still curious to know.

Mine was on jack stands, so I doubt it would make a difference.

I had to do the same. I could not get the Alt to come out the bottom either, though it may have been something to do with the fact I had the car on ramps and not jack stands? Perhaps if the car is on jackstands it might allow the suspension to open up more? I had to take mine out twice......not alot of fun, though you do get better each time. ;-)

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
I just ordered a 160amp alternator from Jamie at startncharge. I cant wait to get this done. Anyong have any info of how to install the upgraded 2g power wire on an 04 cobra?

Maybe it will be obvious once I tear into it. I just like to see it though well before i tackle the actual job.

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
Just got my alternator out as well as all the stuff needed to replace both belts.

I just re-read this write up and don't remember any "metco" spacer like the one pictured here. Did all cars have this spacer? I am pretty sure I kept track of everything I removed.

BTW: My car was a pretty late build 04.

TheFleshRocket

Likes to drive sideways.
Established Member
Just removed my alternator last night. Took me 2-2.5 hours. First I missed the part in the instructions about removing the bottom bracket bolt. Then removed the bottom bracket bolt and loosened the top one. Couldn't get it out. Loosened it some more; still couldn't get it out. Tried several more times; finally removed it and was able to get the alternator out, still with some difficulty.

I kept going back and reading the internet to see what I was doing wrong, when I should have just removed both bracket bolts right away. I can't comprehend how someone could get the alternator out without removing both of those bolts completely.

Bird Gutts

"BIRDGUTTS"
Established Member
Just did this for the second time to my 03 Terminator,remove time was about an hr., and at first i did it on my own (forgetting) to remove the bottom bracket bolt. Than i came back to this post…and re read it and thank god i got it out quite easily after that bolt was removed. I again thank you for this excellent post. My car is a daily driver and i'm at 100700 miles. The alt. is by far my biggest gripe. I went with a 200amp, last one i had was a 130amp, and before that it was stock. i bought my last two from ebay, in california. I installed the last one at about 89K miles. Hopefully this one will last.

ATFPat

Established Member
old and great write up! Took the old pulley nut off using an impact gun. Didn't see how to reinstall the pulley nut but guessing a few hits with an impact gun (electric) should do the trick. This tread made the job pretty easy and straight forward! Thanks!

Chris0304

Established Member
What the Hell! Great write up but its not working for me. The alternator is unbolted and "free" so to speak but I can't get it out of the car completely. There is no way its going thru the bottom and I don't see how in the hell its gonna come thru the top. I guess the problem with mine is the fact that I have a aftermarket sway bar and oil filter relocater kit which is all in the way. I will check into it some more when I get a chance in the day light since I ran out of it today... Im def no mechanic but changing a Alternator should not be this difficult...

Can anyone tell me, the spot where that bottom bolt came off, is that just a bracket? If so can I remove that without to much trouble because that is what is preventing me from pulling it out towards the tire. I can't tell if its just a bracket or what.

Last edited:

Chris0304

Established Member
Finally got mine out (through the bottom) and rebuilt. Had a chance to put it back in (which was a lot easier than getting it out) today and its not working. Ugh!!!!!!

Chris0304

Established Member
Thanks gamatt, will check that out tomorrow along w whatever else I can come up with. I know the old alternator was bad and hard to believe that the rebuilt one is bad as well. Can anyone tell me if these have the power regulator built in or is it separate?

Chris0304

Established Member
Finally have everything back together and working! Took the alternator back to the place that rebuilt it and it was ready 20 mins later. They didn't want to admit it but Im pretty sure it was the voltage regulator and/or a wire to the regulator that was messed up. Put it back in and its working. I find it a lot easier to put back in than taking out even tho I had just done it a few days prior. Unbolting and disconnecting is the easy part. Figuring out how to get it out from there is a P.I.T.A! Thanks to the thread for making it possible for me.

Users who are viewing this thread