**Alternator - Removal How-To PICS **

snaking

Established Member
by two alts p/a are not good long term units go to mod ford ck out ther wright ups

3Dglasses

4.6 Liter rice cooker
Established Member
Reviewed the write up and did mine today. 4th alternator on a 48k mile car. Ford did the first one and I did the last two. I'm actually getting pretty efficient... that is a bad thing.

Flad

Wanting
Established Member
I just can't believe it, replaced the third one, april of this year, I put just under 600 miles on it and it's toast. I called the selling ford dealer todayand they will replace under the 12mth/ 12k warranty..
This is BS, they should offer lifetime replacements including labor.

Just venting, but damn it's BS, and what a pia to remove the summabit**

btw this is a stock vert with 19k miles

FSUstang

>>=;=====>
Established Member
It's sitting on the sway bar so I could take a pic, but it will clear like this. once it's loose rotate the top twwoards the front of the car till the pully is down, rotate the ears so that they match the pic, and tug, it'll come right out.

Yea I just had to do my 2nd one in 7,000 miles about a month ago:cuss:, and the key is rotating it to slide it out. GREAT write up guys, it really helped me too.

SN95cobra04

Established Member
Awesome right up. I'll be using this tomorrow in a parking lot where my car is and I think I'm going to pull it out from the top. 76,XXX miles on my 04.

SLOWNED

Established Member
Quick question..Im actually in the middle of replacing my alt as we speak. I've gotten the old one out, but can't figure out how you got the new one back in from the bottom. Does it need to be turned/flipped/wiggled a certain way for it to go back in?

And just for the record, I'm getting a real good right arm workout trying to hold/flip/rotate this 15lb alternator with 1 hand lying on my back while the other hand is moving hoses around!

ZincSVT

Established Member
If you took the bolts out for the bracket that held the alternator in, then it should wiggle its way right back up in a few secs....lol i did the alternator job twice in a row. the first one i put in was bad as well fml lol

Gomitc8384

I replaced my alternator a couple months ago after it went bad. The one already in it was remanufactured so that's two in 75k miles and the first one went before 24k considering that's when I bought it. I added a larger alt pulley to fix the problem. However, the car died on me last night driving home from a friends!!!! I'm about to check the output of the battery and alt to see if that will help me figure anything out. Electrical issues in this car are a pain!!

MY DREAM

Established Member
Just had mine go out for the second time! Want to share with every one that I replaced mine with a NAPA gold lifetime warranty alt and it lasted just under 800 miles, that's right, just under 800 miles and it is out. Left me sitting on the side of the road 6 miles from home. This time no batt light, no abs light, the radio shut off, then came back on a few seconds later.....then loss of power....when I tried to give it any gas it would just bogg down, coasted to the side of the road. I had my wife pick me up, take me home to get a few tools and a spare battery, went back put it in and drove it home. now to start the removal to go get a replacement.

James

Last edited:

Macker

Established Member
Took mine out tonight because it appears to be overcharging the battery (16V at the battery terminals) and my battery indicator light had been flickering on/off. There has been a variance in people's experience it seems in taking these off the car. Mine was a real son of a gun. Could not take it out thru the bottom per the OP. I did what others have done and removed the upper Alt bracket (4 bolts), removed the power steering fluid container (undid the screws holding it in) and then wiggled the Alt like crazy to get it out thru the top.

From all indications, there was NO WAY that thing was coming out thru the bottom, no matter what orientation I tried. Sooooooooooooo, those who venture into the Alt removal waters.......beware.

Tomorrow I'm taking it to a local re-builder to get it tested and see what failed on it (betting it's the voltage regulator). I'll either get it repaired, or order a Start N Charge or Ebay unit.

One things for sure; I don't want to be doing this procedure too often. I'm already dreading the thought of having to re-install it. I'll post again when I get the Alt tested and re-installed.

timspony

TVS Powered
Established Member
I've recently had to remove the alternator a few times....it WILL come out through the bottom...you just have to be creative!!!! :nonono:

....It's really not a lot of fun!!!!! :cuss:

gnatsumarboc03

Established Member
I've taken mine out so much it takes me about 20-25mins tops. One of those brakets you have too loosen and it falls right out.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Took mine out tonight because it appears to be overcharging the battery (16V at the battery terminals) and my battery indicator light had been flickering on/off. There has been a variance in people's experience it seems in taking these off the car. Mine was a real son of a gun. Could not take it out thru the bottom per the OP. I did what others have done and removed the upper Alt bracket (4 bolts), removed the power steering fluid container (undid the screws holding it in) and then wiggled the Alt like crazy to get it out thru the top.

From all indications, there was NO WAY that thing was coming out thru the bottom, no matter what orientation I tried. Sooooooooooooo, those who venture into the Alt removal waters.......beware.

Tomorrow I'm taking it to a local re-builder to get it tested and see what failed on it (betting it's the voltage regulator). I'll either get it repaired, or order a Start N Charge or Ebay unit.

One things for sure; I don't want to be doing this procedure too often. I'm already dreading the thought of having to re-install it. I'll post again when I get the Alt tested and re-installed.

i jack up just behind front wheel...i pull battery and battery tray...this opens the top..and room to get belt off

i leave wire harness connected to bracket(tiny 8mm bolt)...holds bracket in place

i take main wire and connector off..i remove 3 bolts ,,15mm on alt..13mm on bracket ...the alt comes down than move toward wheel..

takes mins

unless sway bar has been altered

Last edited:

Macker

Established Member
i jack up just behind front wheel...i pull battery and battery tray...this opens the top..and room to get belt off

i leave wire harness connected to bracket(tiny 8mm bolt)...holds bracket in place

i take main wire and connector off..i remove 3 bolts ,,15mm on alt..13mm on bracket ...the alt comes down than move toward wheel..

takes mins

unless sway bar has been altered

Hmmm. Maybe that's why I couldn't get it out from the bottom. I swear no matter which way I tried to orient the Alt, once it was free, I could not get it thru the bottom area.....and the sway bar is definitely part of the equation.

Just thought about something else that might be affecting my ability to get it out from the bottom: My car is on ramps (not jack stands). Could that have something to do with it?

Got my Alt back from the shop today. Some diodes were toast. Also replaced the voltage regulator. I also had the shop put the Metco 3.2 pulley i got for it on. I'll be re-installing either tonight or tomorrow night, and will try to get it back in place through the top, since that's the way I got it out. Once I've got it close to the place where it needs to be, I'll re-install the upper bracket, then fasten the Alt to it and make the electrical connections.

I'm hoping I won't be unlucky as several people have been here.....and have to rip it out again anytime soon. :(

Last edited:

Macker

Established Member
Finished the job tonight. Ended up putting the Alt back in thru the top. Unfortunately, the belt now doesn't fit with the bigger Metco pulley on the Alt. Just checked out Cobra Bob's belt size chart, and looks like I need a longer belt. So off to the local NAPA/UAP store to find a Gates belt.....K080810

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
And just because a coulple of people asked, Here's the orentation of the alt. that will let it come out:
Alt2.jpg

It's sitting on the sway bar so I could take a pic, but it will clear like this. once it's loose rotate the top twwoards the front of the car till the pully is down, rotate the ears so that they match the pic, and tug, it'll come right out.

Did mine today, smooth thanks to this thread. Only hangup was that the OP said loosen the top bracket bolt, but you have to remove it to completely free the bracket. Then orient it as in the above pic and out it comes. Also its much easier if you remove the side splash shield, the one that loops over the swaybar, not sure I've seen that mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread