Alternator help

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
Not real sure where this goes so ill put it here but thats what she said to. Ok, got a 04 mach 1 with a eaton swap. its all stock pulleys beside a 3.2 ALT pulley. I have put 4 alt on it in less then a year. first was a stock corba alt, second and third was a reman ford alt and the forth was another reman ford alt but with a 3.2 pulley. the alt with the 3.2 pulley has been on the car for less then a month and the other ford reman alts lasted like 3 monthsand like 1months. the stock ford alt lasted like 6 months. on the swap the only wires i had to deal with was the 2 wires on the alt plug i had to cut and solder them to the 03 cobra plug. I am lost :shrug: any help would be great...

Last edited:

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
if you find a solution, let us Terminator owners know. We have been dealing with this BS for years! LOL

DarkMach1

Established Member
Does anyone know if this is a pulley issue or just shitty alts.?? I've had mine for 5k miles and no issues yet.

03yellow

Established Member
The Mach I alt is different than a cobra alt. The casing is different. I think they are both supposed to be 130amp. Do not take anybodys word that it's a 130 amp alt. Go have it tested. A 90 amp alt will last 3 to 4 months on a cobra. I'm pretty sure the Mach 1 is supposed to have a 130 amp alt as well.
So far I have be given a 90 amp alt by autozone, napa, orilleys, and the ford house. They all told me they were the correct alt. Napa and ford told me the alts were 130 amp< WRONG. The ford alt said 90 amp on the box. I finally got the correct alt at the ford house.
Lastly you may want to replace your ground wire.
I've never been lied to so many times about the amperage of my alts. Go have it tested before you put it on your car.

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
The Mach I alt is different than a cobra alt. The casing is different. I think they are both supposed to be 130amp. Do not take anybodys word that it's a 130 amp alt. Go have it tested. A 90 amp alt will last 3 to 4 months on a cobra. I'm pretty sure the Mach 1 is supposed to have a 130 amp alt as well.
So far I have be given a 90 amp alt by autozone, napa, orilleys, and the ford house. They all told me they were the correct alt. Napa and ford told me the alts were 130 amp< WRONG. The ford alt said 90 amp on the box. I finally got the correct alt at the ford house.
Lastly you may want to replace your ground wire.
I've never been lied to so many times about the amperage of my alts. Go have it tested before you put it on your car.

I have a complete eaton SC setup on the car. Has all the pulleys and alt from a cobra. That's where I'm goin to start is adding some ground wires and sii that thaty helps. Only got like 3 months to figure. Out what's up with it before I buy another alt.

Last edited:

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
I have a complete eaton SC setup on the car. Has all the pulleys and alt from a cobra. That's where I'm goin to start is adding some ground wires and sii that thaty helps. Only got like 3 months to figure. Out what's up with it before I buy another alt.

till "Start N Charge" starts selling alts again, I think your best bet is to just buy an autozone alt with lifetime warranty. This way you can just keep changing them out when you need a new alt. for free. Just a hassle. That's what I do.

Parts-is-Parts

Established Member
Its heat that is causing the problems.
Im about to start a project to remedy this BS because my car stops making volts at high rpm's due to heat.

I have a neat part on the way and if I succeed, I will share my results.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Its heat that is causing the problems.
Im about to start a project to remedy this BS because my car stops making volts at high rpm's due to heat.

I have a neat part on the way and if I succeed, I will share my results.

Sounds like a bad ground.

What's the concept of the part you are developing?

Parts-is-Parts

Established Member
Sounds like a bad ground.

What's the concept of the part you are developing?

Im making a heat shield (as big as possible) between the alternator and the header. Then Im adapting an alternator cool air inlet surround from an 06 Fusion to the back of the Cobra alternator...hooked up with a flexible tube connected to the Hole in the Bumper.

The alternator seems to perform well when cold, but when hot it fails miserably.

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
well i come home to move the car to replace the ALT and its charging now :shrug:. WTF. I did add a ground strap after it started charging again from the batt to the motor and im goin to add another one from the motor to the frame tomorrow prolly so maybe that will help out.

jalock87

Established Member
Im currently fighting alternator problems on my eaton swap. I have gone through three over the course of 6k miles. They have all been reman from autozone. I too ordered a 3.2 pulley that I havent installed yet. I tested the voltage at idle to be at 15.5 volts which is way to high at idle (should be 13-14V). I do have a 2lb lower but you shouldnt have to underdrive until using a 4lb. I think it has to do with shitty regulators from being a reman. I think im going to take this one to an alternator shop and have it redone with quality parts and good regulator and see what happens.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
till "Start N Charge" starts selling alts again, I think your best bet is to just buy an autozone alt with lifetime warranty. This way you can just keep changing them out when you need a new alt. for free. Just a hassle. That's what I do.

I did the autozone route, 1st alternator lasted about a month, 2nd about a week and 3rd about 100ft of driving the car.. got a ford remanufactured alternator and it's been going good for about a year now..

Users who are viewing this thread