Alright, how bad exactly, is the C6ZO6 valve guide issue?

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
been eyeing C6Zs, but threads on CF scare me away. some say blown out of proportion, others say ALL LS7 are turds. i appeal to the wisdom of SVTP.

DSGCOBRA24

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
If I were getting one, I'd make sure to have $2-$3k extra to do the heads if they were not already addressed. A lot of people go with out fixing them and are fine, then there's also a lot of them that poop the bed. To me it's worth the extra money for piece of mind. I'd rather spend a couple grand for the heads than $10k for a new motor if it doesn't have warranty anymore.

MG0h3

Established Member
The 7.0l definitely isnt a turd. I remember seeing some magazine rating the top ten factory engines and the LS7 was in there along with the Terminator engine. I cant remember seeing one for sale without head work done already. If you want one Id look for that.

Tom's_03SVT

Established Member
2006/07 were the worst. Corvette forum had an article a couple of years ago with some reputable techs and the numbers were somewhere in the 25-30% range for those years. You want to shop 2008 and newer anyway, Better transmissions (TR6060 vs T56)

Last edited:

08mojo

Established Member
Supposedly the '07 cars were the worst. If I was getting a C6Z it'd be getting a H/C/I package anyways, so crisis averted.

2007 cars had a bad batch of rocker arms. The bearings had a tendency to free themselves into the engine. No catastrophic failures to my knowledge from the bad rockers, as the bearings wouldn't get past the oil pickup screen.

The valve guide issue affects all years of the LS7. Don't let it stop you from buying a c6z. The fix is to have the guides replaced/heads rebuilt and the guides must continue to be monitored over time. That's the bad news, the good news is the c6z is stupid easy to work on. It takes about 5 minutes to pull the valve covers and the heads can easily be swapped in an afternoon. Ever try that on a terminator?

Feel free to shoot me a pm with any questions. I learned quite a bit about the c6z with mine--some lessons the hard way.

Last edited:

08mojo

Established Member
So even after having the guides replaced they are still prone to issues?

Depends a lot on cam and rocker choice. Stock cam and rockers will likely be fine for a long time. Go aftermarket and the story changes. Lots of variables to have a yes or no answer.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Overblown. My C6Z had the heads done when I bought it. Drove the shit out of it with no issues.
Buy one with heads addressed & enjoy life. Win.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Depends a lot on cam and rocker choice. Stock cam and rockers will likely be fine for a long time. Go aftermarket and the story changes. Lots of variables to have a yes or no answer.
Not if you use good rockers. Mine was fine.

Never_Enough

Established Member
2006/07 were the worst. Corvette forum had an article a couple of years ago with some reputable techs and the numbers were somewhere in the 25-30% range for those years. You want to shop 2008 and newer anyway, Better transmissions (TR6060 vs T56)
2008+ had the valve issues too. Unless you want 1k+ WHP, the TR6060 does you no good. T56 is fine.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Less then 10% and Better shift forks and synchro, but we can agree to disagree
You just made my point for me. They all have the valve issue. You wanna fix it? Do the heads no matter what year you buy because they can go no matter what year it is.

/thread

10splaya22

Established Member
My friend bought a 2009 a couple months ago with the GM warranty. Lucky that he had it because he had his engine destroyed by the valve issue. I wouldn't buy one without a warranty or the heads done.

Users who are viewing this thread