Almost bought a low mileage '03 Convertible

TRMNTR

Established Member
Hey guys,
I almost bought an '03 Convertible (Terminator of course). (Mike, that's what I was calling you about)

Red Fire with Parchment seats. One of 196 in that color combo. Only 2600 miles. It was all stock except for Borla cat back exhaust.

It was a screaming deal at $19,500. The car was supposedly part of a collection in California until the guy was found to have cancer and ended up in hospice. The collection was auctioned off and this car ended up at a broker in Oregon. The broker/dealer told me that he no one even looked at the car at the auction. He admitted he got a good deal but wouldn't say what. He said after the auction another guy said he was surprised it only had 2600 miles, he assumed it must have been 26,000.

It was missing the convertible boot and the owner's manual. It also had aftermarket center caps. I don't know if the wheels were aftermarket or not, but they looked stock otherwise. Having sat for who knows how long, there was some mouse damage. The driver's side cam cover had a small area where the paint had peeled (they thought the mouse pee damaged the paint) and was repainted but didn't match. There were a few wires in the fuel injector harness that were chewed on but not chewed through. The wires were taped up and reportedly fine.

My plan was to buy the car, put the correct center caps on it, get the boot (found one in excellent condition on craigslist for $50), replace the cam cover (craigslist $150 for a pair of them), get the owner's manual, svt certificate, window sticker, brochures, etc. Once I had everything back to the way it should be and all of the paperwork, I figured I'd have something worth $26-$28k. Maybe keep it, maybe sell it.

I had the car inspected and everything seemed to be fine. Everything worked, the car drove fine. It was in excellent condition except for some surface corrosion on unpainted items from sitting. The only problem he found was an odor in the interior. The inspector rated the odor at 4/10. He said it wasn't bad but it was there. The dealer said he didn't smell anything like that. He said the only thing he smelled in the car was the suede.

The dealer wanted the car sold by the end of the year. If I didn't buy it, he had another guy who wanted it bad and if that didn't work out, he was going to sell it to a local dealer to get it off his books. Unfortunately there was no way for me to go see the car myself. So I had to decide sight unseen, smell un-smelled.

I agonized over the decision. I even looked up the original owner on Google maps. I used the satellite view, expecting to see a big garage or barn. I zoomed in and see a house with no extra outbuilding. There were about 9 cars in his back yard. Five of them were covered. It looked like there was some junk around some of the cars. This didn't make me feel any better. This thing may have been sitting outside. Probably covered, but the mice could have had a field day in there.

I finally had to make the decision, but I couldn't bring myself to take the chance. I didn't want to end up with a car that smelled bad and I might be stuck with.

Of course, it would be sweet to have a collection of Terminators: a red '03 convertible stock with low miles and my black 04 coupe that I would drive and do a few mods. Unfortunately, my wife may not have seen the value of having two Terminators in the garage, especially if one of them smelled bad.

I'm bummed it didn't work out, but it was too much money to risk. If I could have seen the car, it might have been a different story. It would have been cool to have two Terminators in the garage, but oh well.

Just wanted to share my story... and get some activity on the board.:sleeping:

Happy New Year!
:beer:

Last edited:

TRMNTR

Established Member
Also, fyi, I found an '03 SB Coupe, 1800 miles with mods for $18k.

It's in California. I called and spoke to a woman about it. She said it's her husband's car. I asked if I could see the car, expecting to hear that it was in storage in some other state. She said sure, we could meet at a local shopping center. She sent more pictures and they look good.

I would be very suspicious of a scam, but if someone is willing to fly out there, it could be a great deal. It's on autotrader if anyone is interested.

TRMNTR

Established Member
Don't really have 20G laying around, but between our business account and personal accounts, I could have made it work. It would have left us pretty thin for awhile, so I most likely would have had to sell it, or one of the other cars, in the spring.

I don't plan on pulling a Mike and going to 700hp but a friend of mine did just buy a Whippled '03. I think it's around 580rwhp. I'll have to step things up just to keep up with him.

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
I think you can get similar deals within driving distance and actually look, smell and drive the car.

I would not buy a high performace and potenially abused car like a Terminator without seeing, driving, smelling, tasting, etc. That is just me.

I like Cobraundersized's suggstion, just slowly mod yours.... no need for 750 or 700. 650 is enough LOL. You will save about 5K (vs say 20,000), have room for another car, plus your wife will be double happy.

Last edited:

TRMNTR

Established Member
All the great deals seem to be on the west coast. I think that here in Michigan, we know better than to give these cars away.

I'm getting ready to order some parts. I'll put up a new post soon.

Still haven't had a chance to call you...

R-CODE

Established Member
TRMNTR can u send me the link or info on that sonic blue, i went on autotrader can't find it.

Gotti.

TRMNTR

Established Member
TRMNTR can u send me the link or info on that sonic blue, i went on autotrader can't find it.

Gotti.

It was sold a day or two after I called on it. I saw the new owner post it somewhere here on the forum. He was not far from the seller and jumped on the deal. I guess it was the real deal. I just don't understand why they pretty much gave the car away.

JoeLee

***Degenerate***
Established Member
Here is the car that was too good to be true in CA. I ended up getting a few days after N.Y.E.
I since taken the Racingharts off the car and went with AFS 18x10.5

IMG_0389.gif

IMG_0388.gif

DSC00724-1.gif

DSC00718-1.gif

DSC00723-1.gif

IMG_0375.gif

IMG_0378.gif

TRMNTR

Established Member
Looks great! I would have bought that car in a heartbeat.

After all I went through trying to set up a long distance deal on that red convertible, I was pretty much burnt out at that point. I would have had to go see it in person to make the deal happen.

I might have sold my black coupe to keep that sonic blue one. I considered that color when I bought mine but couldn't resist the black.

Enjoy your car. You got an awesome deal. Best deal I've seen yet.

Users who are viewing this thread