All SVTOA N.E. members get in here....

Davesnake

you wanna go!
Established Member
This is why I did not renew my membership, I didn't want to send my $40 for nothing....I got this e-mail this morning.

SVT Dead at 15

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ford doesn't see a way forward for SVT
Quietly, Ford Motor Co. has been dismantling SVT -- the Special Vehicle Team -- and sources inside the company suggest that as of April 1, SVT, as we've known it since 1992, will cease to exist.

SVT has had no dedicated products since 2004. A high-performance version of the Sport Trac, called the Adrenaline, was shown at the New York Auto Show in March 2005. At a preview for journalists, SVT director Hau Thai-Tang said that the Adrenaline "is going to turn the performance-vehicle market upside down" when it goes on sale as a 2007 model. Then, last month, the Adrenaline was canceled as part of Ford's "Way Forward" restructuring campaign. The Ford GT supercar, which was developed largely by SVT engineers but was not called an SVT model, will end production later this year.

A new Shelby Cobra GT 500 Mustang is due later this year as a 2007 model. But it will be offered to all 3,900 Ford dealers, instead of SVT's network of roughly 600 dealers.

SVT was founded in 1991 by Robert Rewey, Ford's vice president for marketing and sales, and Neil Ressler, Ford's chief technical officer. The idea was that SVT would consist of a small group of engineers, designers and marketing professionals who would work inside Ford to build and sell high-performance versions of existing products. SVT also set up a separate dealer network, signing up Ford dealers that had an interest in selling performance products.

In 1992, the first two SVT products were launched: The 1993 F-150 Lightning pickup, and the 1993 Mustang Cobra. In 1997, the SVT Contour was introduced, and in 1999, the second-generation Lightning went on sale. In late 2001, the '02 SVT Focus went on sale. By 2004, when production of the Lightning, Mustang Cobra and SVT Focus ended, the company had sold about 145,000 SVT products.

It's likely that Ford will continue to produce special-edition models of several vehicles, but they will not be sold through SVT channels

The SVT engineers are gone, all marketing is gone, the trailer is gone, the press fleet is gone, and the top chassis engineer has been sent to the fuel cell program.

7,500 or so Mustang GT500's are planned for 2007 .... more if they can get transmissions, and they will be sold through all Ford dealers.

Some SVT dealers, annoyed that all 3,900 Ford dealers are benefiting from what those 600 or so SVT dealers financed, are contemplating a class action law suite.

The GT500 will keep the SVT emblems. Too late to delete them."

Special Vehicle Team
Born 1991
Died 2006

Tony Sorrentino
[email protected]
SVT Cobra Mustang Club
www.SVTCobraClub.com
SCMC Hotline: (803) 371-0725

Check our website for the upcoming 2006 events. www.svtcobraclub.com.

So if SVT is gone whats going to happen to SVTOA? How will you guys get insured for events and so forth? Chris,Mike,Troy...

Dave

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
Our insurance is in effect and we will be doing business as usual for the Aprill and June events. We are working on arrangements for follow on events after July 1. We will still be running events, though they could be under a different banner. Registration for the first three events will open within the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned...

KenCobra03

Factory Rated 390 HP, much more now
Established Member
My big question is : will there be SVT Cobra parts available for another 10
years or so?

TTA89

Established Member
First of all that's an article that someone wrote and its there opinion. It does seem that SVTOA will be merged into something else but nobody knows anything.

Ford hasn't announced anything to the SVTOA clubs so I couldn't tell you what will happen. We do know that Ford is shifting things around and they don't produce SVT vehicles anymore.

I find it highly unlikely they will just disolve having a direct connection to so many potential future customers.

As for our local New England SVTOA events, we are insured through July 1st. Nobody knows what will happen after that.

Chris Yates

Established Member
Dave,

No need to pay up for 2006, Ford is grand fathering all current members though 2006.

As for the events, as Mike and Troy have mentioned we are a go through June. I'll also wager we'll be running all three events in the 2nd half of the year as well.

At the bare minimum I should be good for three more 1st place trophies ; p

Chris Yates
96 Kobra

TTA89

Established Member
Chris Yates said:
Dave,

At the bare minimum I should be good for three more 1st place trophies ; p

Chris Yates
96 Kobra

Why? Are you signed up with the BMW club? :burnout:

chuckstang

Established Member
really sad to hear.
but this new shelby is def an SVT product, and I think Ford is just merging SVT into Ford developement and products. quite frankly I dont see the performace thing lasting for much longer...I feel a big recession like back in the 70s.
Also I just wont see any use in a hybrid or solar muscle car lol

Davesnake

you wanna go!
Established Member
So will you be able to keep all your dates this year at Devens? If you do it would be awesome....between SVTOA,SCMC,NESHOC, there are twelve autox's this year, geared toward our cars.. :rockon: I can't wait!!

mypictures017.gif

BTW Troy, I could not open the file you sent me....so I still don't know the numbers that are taken....can you send it another way?

Dave

Last edited:

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I'll put the file in a pdf format and resend it on Monday... Sorry about that.

Chris Yates

Established Member
luv2hiss,

I'm not sure they are taking registrations right now. Either way you can still run our autox events, we just charge more for non members. If you pay the non member price and then later join we'll credit you back the difference you paid for the autox events.

First autox event is 4/15, look for the registration page to be up very soon.

Thanks,

Chris Yates
96 Kobra

Davesnake

you wanna go!
Established Member
TTA89 said:
I always win something :rockon: :thumbsup:

P.S. Can you zip and email me any shots you took there? [email protected] I want to put them on my site.

Thanks!

I tell everyone your a winner :p

I'll round up what I have and send them tomorrow, heading out tonite :burnout:

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread