ALL MOTOR BOLT-ON & TUNED Motor failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

04compgt

Established Member
This could also be a corrupted file issue as well. I have experienced this first hand where after I put a first tune on a car, the lambse (commanded lambda) was showing 1.0 on the log when in fact nowhere in the calibration I commanded stoich for WOT fueling. This is a perfect example why datalogging is so important, issues like these could be prevented and caught early. I give credit to all of the mail order tuners out there, I purposely refuse to mail order tune a car due to Not knowing if the end user is logging properly and also not knowing exactly what the car is doing or feels like. To the OP I'm sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation. I hope you get it fixed up soon.

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
Base tune should be fine, according to Shaun in the blown super charged car thread, e85 can be run at 14 to 1 a/f in super charged cars and live.......

Also that stuck injectors are rarely the case of this kind of failure.....

Of course that's when some one else is doing the tuning...

It always comes full circle

Wow, hell of a thread title.
Feels like I'm guilty until proven innocent. Maybe a little more investigation into the cause of the failure before posting?

I'm assuming you were running the E85 tune and not the Gasoline tune by mistake, I have seen this before as there are X3 Firmware versions that the #10 tune slot does not work correctly and loads the tune from the #1 slot. This happened to Blazer707 a few months back. I've also seen SCT Device updater errors where customers name the wrong tune the wrong name and load it incorrectly.
Of course I would have caught this with data logs....

Assuming the proper tune was run, it would take north of 15:1 Air fuel at WOT on E85 to do any sort of damage in an all-motor application. Given 7 good spark plugs and 1 bad, I would have had to command leaner fueling on the #1 cylinder compared to the other 7. Although we do have access to fuel each cylinder differently, that is not something I do, and it would require removing something on the order of 30+% fuel from that 1 cylinder. Same goes for ignition timing but I do not add timing to the #1, and based on the 1 pic I was sent (posted in this thread) it looks to be excessively lean fueling that caused this, not spark.

With E85 you need to remember it absorbs water. Water causes rust. We lost 2 ID2000 injectors from E85 after a customer let the car sit for 6 weeks with E85 in the tank/rails. Injectors like the ID1300's that have stainless internals and specifically designed for E85 would not suffer from rust, but other injectors that are 'compatible' with E85, may rust when water is present in the fuel. I do not know if the LU47 injectors have stainless internals or not. This is why it's always a good idea to store the vehicle with gasoline in the tank/lines rather than E85. Having the injectors flowed (you can have T1 Race Development do it) will show if this is the case here.

IMO what we are looking at is a fuel related failure. Either the injector, the injector harness/wiring, or an injector driver in the ECU. I've seen all 3 cause this kind of failure. Recently we had a Fast System injector harness failure that took out a cylinder in a customers 8 second race car. Intermittent connections at the injector are NO GOOD.

Key here is the other 7 cylinders are fine (based on the spark plugs). That means you can rule out the tune and start focusing on hardware.

If other cylinders look lean as well that would clue me in that the E85 Base tune was likely not being run, which would have been caught via data logs. (Stoich is set to 10.0 in the Base E85 tune I sent, compared to 14.08 for the gasoline tune, running the Gasoline tune would result in 40% lean when run with E85, and the O2 sensors will correct enough to get the car to start up and drive.)

^^^^ This....

I tried to read all the posts but had some questions.

1) What kind of injectors was the OP using?
2) What kind of fuel pump/system?
3) Any other component upgrades to support E85?

Also, regarding the definition of "lean" from earlier posts it simply means the A/F ratio is lopsided with more air, even if there is no fuel - that is REAL lean (i.e. impending failure). ;)

Aside from water collection and corrosion issues with E85 if you don't flush it before storing the car for along period, algae and other organic sludge can develop. And that stuff WILL CLOG your system.

Running E85 is like being doctor to a patient on life support. You have to monitor the patient constantly.

again, all these questions will be answered. I am only providing the hear and now as it stands. Car has not been touched since that Coils & Plugs removed and found the initial damage. That is where it has stopped. Colin is a Fireman on duty till sometime next week and he also will respectfully have these same questions or see for himself. Thanks to all pos. and neg. posting. Just focus on whats what! If you are going to start something outside of the read...Just don't post. It funny to me how people don't approve of something and instead of backing out or going to another subject/category or thread, they choose to leave a footprint 1st "I WAS HERE". Please let the "BUILDERS, TUNERS, EXP. RACERS or Experienced heads" join and collaborate their wealth of knowledge. This was all pleaded and begged of the community in the very beginning. Within 5min I was text messaged by 2 individuals on a "GREAT" write up and well explained and written....and now. This is how fast a thread can loose its message from just a few post of curious tire kickers who just want to chime. When in fact, this can be a learning tool for me and anyone else who has subscribed or faces any issues like this and to come as the tear down begins.

Either way, Thanks for all the post so far. Lets just keep it clean.

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
"hook line and sinker"- nope

Fuel the fire- more like it

I don't blame shaun at all for not being happy about that

Stanger00

Established Member
and...U feel better? After I just wrote what I wrote. SMH

You are drama. Your posts are full on passive aggressive and you end them with backhanded compliments.

Now, for all those who posted in this thread will have to wait a week because you don't know how to wrench on your own car or even datalog.

Premature thread and call out. Get your stuff straight.

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
And you 2 guys know me? Know my living situation and capabilities? And you got all of this through This here thread? I posted AED in the thread NOT TO CALL OUT! Is also why I posted all the specs and mods to clear up all of the questions that will be asked, Tuner, parts, mods etc. This is like when someone text messages it looses it true meaning since there is no facial recognition no emotions able to be expressed. The ONLY aggressive one here seems to be you with you false interpretations of what you are reading. You don't have to post of you don't like what you are reading. But to oblige, I will request change to the title so I can get exactly what this thread was made for.

Nuar

Established Member
i can only image the parade if bama was in the thread title.

its all fun and games until a motor lets go on your tune.

sucks for OP, but this has happened to all the major tuners. every now and then you get bit.

*facepalm*
Did you even read through the thread??

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
Title change request submitted to ADMIN."ALL MOTOR E85 Tuned Bolt-On engine failure BLOWN! ...Thanks to all who did not see it out of line and provided their insight or concerns. Even the 2 members who immediately text me before a single post/reply was entered on this thread who said, "Great write up and well documented and explained. No pointing fingers, just it is what it is." quote. So again, there were only a few people and started late in 2nd pg of 3 pgs. Change has been requested...as if that would have changed you guys coming in with your $.02 ...be real with yourselves.

OneSlowV

Established Member
So if you didn't have your tune data logged. How could you even blame the tuner for your mistake if it was tune related ?

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
So if you didn't have your tune data logged. How could you even blame the tuner for your mistake if it was tune related ?

this is exactly what I'm talking about!!! did you even read the original post or you just jump to Title (interpretation) or page 2 and 3 there is no blame on nothing or no one its open ended for all inquiries questions concerns but more for the intellect and knowledgeable builders and tuners alike... not for the tire kickers and curious Georges... READ!!! Better yet, READ ALL OF IT.

Sick_Mustang

Established Member

I've seen this a couple times now. Jayvee is not blaming Shaun, at all. I don't think the thread title should be changed, it was on an AED base tune regardless if he datalogged or not. I run an AED e85 tune, and I have all the confidence in the world in it....

KalEl370

Established Member
So the fact that you were on the base tune for 2 months and hadn't even datalogged it didn't show up until the 31st post in this thread tells me that you left out an important fact. Sorry but that's pretty irresponsible of you in my opinion and I would be embarrassed to post this thread knowing that. Good luck to your rebuild, I know it sucks, but i would think you are to blame so far. If you don't have the means to datalog yourself, maybe you shouldn't have ordered a tune that requires it.

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
I will add this bit of information.

Jayvee had an issue with uploading tunes to his device, which turned out to be a hardware issue. SCT uploaded all his tunes pump gas/e85 on to the device.

Possibly they mistitled, corrupted files who knows. Although I don't think this is the problem assuming all other cylinder check out fine. Does any tuner know how you would go about checking this, to make sure the correct tunes are labeled correctly? What about reading out the current tune on the ECU?

Shaun@AED

You have Long tube headers correct? Did you relocate the O2 sensors?
If an O2 sensor fault is detected, the ECU IGNORES the O2 sensors at WOT. Part throttle and idle it will still correct fueling, but it will NOT at WOT. If the Gasoline tune was somehow accidentally run and there was an O2 sensor fault (should throw a code), I can see how this engine was taken out as it would be 40+% lean at WOT.
I have caught this situation a few times via Data logging.

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
So the fact that you were on the base tune for 2 months and hadn't even datalogged it didn't show up until the 31st post in this thread tells me that you left out an important fact. Sorry but that's pretty irresponsible of you in my opinion and I would be embarrassed to post this thread knowing that. Good luck to your rebuild, I know it sucks, but i would think you are to blame so far. If you don't have the means to datalog yourself, maybe you shouldn't have ordered a tune that requires it.

He isn't blaming anyone. Yet people like you keep coming in and posting.

This was more of a here's my story, help diagnose, give ideas on the actual failure, I will update with my findings as I go.

KalEl370

Established Member
He isn't blaming anyone. Yet people like you keep coming in and posting.

This was more of a here's my story, help diagnose, give ideas on the actual failure, I will update with my findings as I go.

Lol, sounds more like you guys jumping the gun on posting this thread. You should have all the facts straight first before posting. You wanted opinions, you got tbem. Don't like it, don't post on a public forum.

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
If you recall Shaun the same thing happened to me when trying to load one of the Nitrous revisions you sent me and I called you and asked you if you were sure you hadn't sent me a N/A tune by mistake because the ABS and Advancetrac systems were not disabled...thats when you surmised that I was loading into slot 10 and the X3 was defaulting to slot 1.

Side note this is interesting. I loaded a gas performance tune, and all my lights are on. They should be off in the performance tune, I'll have to look into that.

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
This could also be a corrupted file issue as well. I have experienced this first hand where after I put a first tune on a car, the lambse (commanded lambda) was showing 1.0 on the log when in fact nowhere in the calibration I commanded stoich for WOT fueling. This is a perfect example why datalogging is so important, issues like these could be prevented and caught early. I give credit to all of the mail order tuners out there, I purposely refuse to mail order tune a car due to Not knowing if the end user is logging properly and also not knowing exactly what the car is doing or feels like. To the OP I'm sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation. I hope you get it fixed up soon.

Thanks Sai, that is something for Jayvee to look into.

Shaun@AED

I will add this bit of information.

Jayvee had an issue with uploading tunes to his device, which turned out to be a hardware issue. SCT uploaded all his tunes pump gas/e85 on to the device.

Possibly they mistitled, corrupted files who knows. Although I don't think this is the problem assuming all other cylinder check out fine. Does any tuner know how you would go about checking this, to make sure the correct tunes are labeled correctly? What about reading out the current tune on the ECU?

That may be the problem. I just spoke with my buddy at SCT and depending on what SCT Tech did, they may have completely screwed the pooch here. All my tune files are encrypted and can not be easily converted, they come back looking corrupt.

Dump the Xcal as it sits ('Get Stock File from Device') and send the files to me. I'll have my buddy at SCT convert the files correctly and check out what was loaded onto the vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread