ALL MOTOR BOLT-ON & TUNED Motor failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
No, he's saying. If there is not fuel, it won't run lean because there is nothing to ignite. Which a completely stuck injector, most likely would not let any fuel past. Therefor the plug would just be firing and not igniting anything.

Exactly.

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
Great...so NOW there is a known "E85 Fuel Pump Failure" out there....Geez! smh lol!

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
If the fuel pump shuts off, the car dies. Again, no fuel, no fire.

Now if the fuel pump half ass works and the car leans out--then you could have a problem.

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member

Now if the fuel pump half ass works and the car leans out--then you could have a problem.

OK, this is good to all take into consideration. Thanks J...This all helps or will help soon.

CPRsm

What do the plugs look like? If there is only one cylinder that shows hot or detonation an injector failure is likely. Post some good pics of the plugs

Sick_Mustang

Established Member

Which is why I mentioned injector "failure", maybe slightly clogged or "leaky". Same effect but it would be isolated to a certain cylinder.

Jayvee yes some people have experienced fuel pump failure on e85. Seems hit or miss, some have a bunch of mile no issues and some just run into issues. This most likely has nothing to do with your car though.

Last edited:

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
What do the plugs look like? If there is only one cylinder that shows hot or detonation an injector failure is likely. Post some good pics of the plugs

He mentioned to me the plug on cylinder 1, the gap had closed. As far as plug inspection, I have reminded him to take pictures and label each plug.

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
I'd like to see all the plugs.

Where you data logging at the time of this event? If everything looks good on the logs, You got an Injector that may have gone south!

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
Will do... and yes the #1 cylinder plug wasn't collapsed but had a closer gappage then the remaining which all looked the same but not collapsed. Just slightly compressed but definitely closer the the other 7.

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
I'd like to see all the plugs.

Where you data logging at the time of this event? If everything looks good on the logs, You got an Injector that may have gone south!

No he wasn't. This car was actually still on the base tune, as he was transferring from pump to e85. My computer took a dump about 2 months ago, so I haven't been able to help him datalog. But the car has been out and about for 2 months or so on base tune.

Which I feel bad about....

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
By "still on the base tune", do you mean no logs have been sent to Shaun so that he could verify it is safe?

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
By "still on the base tune", do you mean no logs have been sent to Shaun so that he could verify it is safe?

Yes, this car was tuned by AED on pump gas. No logs were taken on e85. However it is my understanding Shaun sets base tunes up on the safe side., and in a safe manner. However there is no substitute for datalogs. ...

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
Yes, this car was tuned by AED on pump gas. No logs were taken on e85. However it is my understanding Shaun sets base tunes up on the safe side., and in a safe manner. However there is no substitute for datalogs. ...

I know he starts safe, but if there were a mechanical issue he "might have" found it during tuning. I feel sorry for the OP. That sucks.

CPRsm

He mentioned to me the plug on cylinder 1, the gap had closed. As far as plug inspection, I have reminded him to take pictures and label each plug.
Yeah piston definitely came apart w that, the oil in throttle and the "go go gadget smoke screen."

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
No he wasn't. This car was actually still on the base tune, as he was transferring from pump to e85. My computer took a dump about 2 months ago, so I haven't been able to help him datalog. But the car has been out and about for 2 months or so on base tune.

Which I feel bad about....
7ae.png

Hope everything works out OP

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
Yeah piston definitely came apart w that, the oil in throttle and the "go go gadget smoke screen."

He said mentioned to me it looked more like a burned through/melted hole. Not like the piston slapped it or a piece of piston.

My theory is bad injector probably clogged in some way shape or form yet allowing enough fuel in to help induce a seriously lean condition, high cylinder temp/serious detonation. The hole was probably melted through and plug over heated, although I'm sure there are fragments of the ringland from the piston slap also. The hole probably let in some serious oil from the oil squirters in these blocks and just oil in general being sloshed around which probably aided in smoke screen. Possibly lifted head( not sure how hard that is on these motors)and blown gasket from detonation/pressure, which might explain the antifreeze and more smoke screen lol.

Will probably look like this: this picture is for demonstration purposes only. This is not Jayvee's car.
2ic44s4.jpg

Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
7ae.png

Hope everything works out OP

While I agree with this. Plenty of companies gives tunes out without datalogs nor do they require them. Sure that is the best idea and I personally wouldn't run my car hard without logging. But I mean, Shaun is a well respected tuner, and I doubt he would create an unsafe tune.

With that said sure a datalog might have picked something up. But let's say it didn't, and this ends up being and injector issue. Not much you could have done about an injector if it just failed on the spot.

DNT H8

Established Member
While I agree with this. Plenty of companies gives tunes out without datalogs nor do they require them. Sure that is the best idea and I personally wouldn't run my car hard without logging.
I've been NA, TVS and TVS on E85 with Shaun (AED)... there is no way in hell I'd take the car down the track on a base tune... Of course base logs do consist of a 3k to 7K WOT pull. But rowing threw the gears at WOT on a base log... hell to the NO even if Shaun said it was ok lol.

There might of been a issue he could of seen in a base WOT log, speculation of course. Good luck OP this is never nice to see...

Last edited:

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
I've been NA, TVS and TVS on E85 with Shaun (AED)... there is no way in hell I'd take the car down the track on a base tune... Of course logs do consist of a 3k to 7K WOT pull. But rowing threw the gears at WOT on a base log... hell to the NO even if Shaun said it was ok lol.

There might of been a issue he could of seen in a base WOT log, speculation of course. Good luck OP this is never nice to see...

We're on the same page. It was a choice he made, that I personally wouldn't have. What's done is done, time to move forward. He is just really curious as to what May have happened, and really want s to find the real issue so that his new motor does not do the same.

Hell even the big boys formula 1/nascar/top fuel... blow up motors, sometimes that's just the game. But there is always a cause!

Nice car btw!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread