ALL MOTOR BOLT-ON & TUNED Motor failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
Kirk at Boostlab is a good honest guy. He's been in the Supra game / Tampa community forever. Can't beat $20 inj flowed and cleaned local by someone with OCD.

Yeah, Kirk is one of the Good Guys left locally and Ol Skool. Always had clean as work! That is why when u showed me that testing on IG, I was like hellz yeah! That is where I am going to take em!

^ Wow! $20?

That's not bad at all. Thanks for sharing.

Is he the same Kirk that used to have an SRT-4 Neon back in like 05/06?

Not sure about that. Always owned a Supra since I known him. His wife also. He use to be (maybe still...) one of the admins on TAMPA RACING DOT COM. < That maybe dating him also...lol

LOOK UP "BOOSTLAB" on InstGram and you will see what Smm and II are talking about. He is Flow Testing a set of inj. on vid. Cool process. Looks like a lab or science project set up.

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
For those of us that did not get to read all 12 pages of this thread (I read the first two, and then went straight to the last page), did you ever find out exactly what caused your engine failure? also, what all broke in the motor?

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
^ Wow! $20?

That's not bad at all. Thanks for sharing.

Is he the same Kirk that used to have an SRT-4 Neon back in like 05/06?

Per injector LOL sorry if that wasn't clear. Slightly cheaper than witch hunter and some of the others.....flowed,cleaned, injector sheet.

I don't ever remember him having an SRT4, I knew pretty much everyone who bought one of those turds. He's had a red supra for years..... He builds turbos/rebuilds/ etc etc now.

He has deff been around for a long time. Since like TR 2001-2002, the good ol days.

http://www.theboostlab.com/fuel-injector/pricing.html

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/theboostlab

Last edited:

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
For those of us that did not get to read all 12 pages of this thread (I read the first two, and then went straight to the last page), did you ever find out exactly what caused your engine failure? also, what all broke in the motor?

Current theory is and injector. Or a blown gasket that let in coolant. CPR pretty much summed up the possibilities .

D.T.R

Established Member
how is the injector a possibility? have they not been tested?

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
how is the injector a possibility? have they not been tested?

This was all just stated a few post (not several pages) ago in detail...Not to be a ass or sound like one...But... like 5x Thanks

Need4Speed03

Established Member
Current theory is and injector. Or a blown gasket that let in coolant. CPR pretty much summed up the possibilities .

If either of those were the cause it should be easy to identify and confirm.

I still believe it was neither of those and simply a weak, hurt, or improperly balanced rod. I dont know the history of the car but I did read it had a BAMA tune in it before the OP went to AED. Has the car every had spray on it or a any other power adder?

Anyway, hopefully the cause can be confirmed! And I do wish the OP a speedy rebuild!

I know what its like to have a failure of this magnitude! Heres my no. 1 piston/rod...

Broke at the top of 2nd on the street and it sounded like all hell broke loose and the motor shut down after all the racket. Windowed the block and oil pan, fluid everywhere and out the intake. Heres pics (middle piece was found in the street!):

3-piece-3.gif

3-piece-1.gif

I had spray on the car but didnt spray it for like 4 months...one day messing around on motor this happened. Had a well known engine builder check the pistons for detonation...wasnt any signs. I eventually chaulked it up to a weakened/hurt rod from a mixture of launching out of the hole with stock converter and spray putting a tremendous amount of pressure on the rods, high rpms with Boss IM stretching the rods out, and alittle stupidity (smacking the rev limiter more then once). FWIT I ran the car for over a year with countless bottles and no problems...put the car through absolute hell!

I went with an 11.1 Aluminator with MMR oil pump gears and head cooling mod...still have the spray on the car also.

Anyway, good luck again to the OP!

Last edited:

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member

I still believe it was neither of those and simply a weak, hurt, or improperly balanced rod. I dont know the history of the car but I did read it had a BAMA tune in it before the OP went to AED. Has the car every had spray on it or a any other power adder?

Anyway, hopefully the cause can be confirmed! And I do wish the OP a speedy rebuild!

No power adder No spray. Bama was ran MAYBE a week or 2 on it...IF THAT! Never tracked on BAMA and only drove it a few time since it was brand new to me purchased the end of Jan and BAMA was on and off the first week or 2 of Fed...Thanks to Smm...lol! I was fresh returning back to the scene and did not know anyone at this point in the community or hanging our cruising. Same status, Not ever a daily driver at all. But like you said, before 10+ - 11k miles, I have no idea of the driving situations or conditions. All else remained the same with prior owner from TX

Last edited:

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member

I know what its like to have a failure of this magnitude! Heres my no. 1 piston/rod...

Broke at the top of 2nd on the street and it sounded like all hell broke loose and the motor shut down after all the racket. Windowed the block and oil pan, fluid everywhere and out the intake. Heres pics:

3-piece-3.gif

3-piece-1.gif

I had spray on the car but didnt spray it for like 4 months...one day messing around on motor this happened. Had a well known engine builder check the pistons for detonation...wasnt any signs. I eventually chaulked it up to a weakened/hurt rod from a mixture of launching out of the hole with stock converter and spray putting a tremendous amount of pressure on the rods, high rpms with Boss IM stretching the rods out, and alittle stupidity (smacking the rev limiter more then once). FWIT I ran the car for over a year with countless bottles and no problems...put the car through absolute hell!

I went with an 11.1 Aluminator with MMR oil pump gears and head cooling mod...still have the spray on the car also.

Anyway, good luck again to the OP!

WOW! The hard fact similarities are there when comparing the breakage. For real! I saw the piston and the points where the breakage was on the rod itself and Mine also broke in 3 main sections and the cap of the piston had a triangular in shape chunk broken off from the top...Fellas, DTR has something here. Good post. Thanks for sharing. ~ I know have went with the MMR Forged Street Mod SB (1000hp) assembly with full ARP hardware and MMR Billet oil gears.

Last edited:

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
Like Jayvee said Bama tune was on in his possession for 2 weeks not beating on it. It then was on AED pump gas, and ran perfectly fine for a few months.......so I don't think this was a pre existing condition of the rod.

Yes we don't know the history of the car. But ya, I guess anything is possible.

Last edited:

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
... Ahhh! I am going back to the wall that has damage to it from the previous days and nights I spent banging my head on...

Need4Speed03

Established Member
Like Jayvee said Bama tune was on in his possession for 2 weeks not beating on it. It then was on AED pump gas, and ran perfectly fine for a few months.......so I don't think this was a pre existing condition of the rod.

I do believe my rod was hurt for months before it broke. I didnt spray my car for like 4 months and just drove easy back and forth to work. One day playing around it let loose on motor. I believe it was prob slightly bent and then RPM's did it in.

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
Definitely rod came thru the bottom. You can see the ring which came up when forced from the bottom. Broken rod is the definite cause of the piston.

Why did the rod break? Doesn't look over revved. The tensile strength is compromised over revving and the piston breaks at the top of the cylinder on the exhaust stroke. Then the valves and piston show damage from collision. Don't see that here. Not completely impossible, but unlikely because of other evidence. Seriously doubt it was cylinder pressure that bent/broke a rod. Just not enough power. Hydraulic lock could have definitely bent the rod. An injector could have caused that, which could have lifted the head and let the coolant in. Or a coolant leak could have been the main cause. That will be easier to tell when the injectors are flowed. Rod bends at top dead center and heads back down. With a bent rod, its length is now shorter. Too short to clear the crank counter weight at bottom dead center. Crank smacks the the underside of the piston at the wrist pin and breaks rod. That's why the piston is there, and not at the very bottom of the bore. Breaks at bottom, rod smashes thru it, moves it up a bit.

There is enough remaining piston to see if it hit the crank. If the rod bent the big side will not spin free on the crank likely. Bent rods don't bend one way. They also like to bend and bind the bearing. This may have happened so fast there is no discoloration from heat or lack of oil. But might see some deformation in the bearing. Or, remaining rod in the pan might be obviously bent. So some other stuff to look for to confirm a bent rod is why it broke. Or tell us it wasn't bent.

So it doesn't look like it leaned out or detonated. Detonation could have lifted the head and started the chain reaction, but heads show no sign and neither does the piston. Still like to see the plugs, but sure they look fine. Some of the other stuff I mentioned is still possible, but hard to tell from here and seem very unlikely. But looks like a mechanical issue and not tune related. Sorry about your luck. Seems to to be one of those "Well shit" moments that couldn't be predicted.

I'll just leave this here. As it describes quite a few things to look for in a failure....process of elimination.

Last edited:

BMR Tech

Interesting....

Also interesting, that Ford is now using the Boss Rods standard on the new mass produced GT engine.

Hmmm

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
I do believe my rod was hurt for months before it broke. I didnt spray my car for like 4 months and just drove easy back and forth to work. One day playing around it let loose on motor. I believe it was prob slightly bent and then RPM's did it in.

That sounds like a fair assessment. I had a similar situation with my old 98' cobra. Things like that make me laugh.

My buddy has been spraying his ls1 from a 75-200 shot for about 8 years un tuned, mostly 160. He literally has raced just about every weekend since. Thing is still kicking, how is beyond me......

Last edited:

Need4Speed03

Established Member
I'll just leave this here. As it describes quite a few things to look for in a failure....process of elimination.

Its a great post...all I'm saying is a head gasket can be ruled out by simply looking at it. Having the No. 1 cylinder injector tested can rule out a stuck open injector...then you can rule out a hydro-lock situation...or determine the cause.

Shaun@AED

Look at the #1 cylinder closely in the pics, NO water.
Piston and head do not show any signs of contact either (aside from the plug when the smaller bit of piston hit it).

If it was a "freak" rod breakage, how did water get into the other cylinders?
If it was a gasket failure why are there no signs of water in the #1 cylinder?

At this point all signs point to the only other fluid that enters the cylinders. Fuel hydro locked the #1 bending the rod and raising the head, which let water into the other 3 cylinders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread