ALL MOTOR BOLT-ON & TUNED Motor failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
Not trying to derail thread, although I have much to say on the topic.

Jayvee man your motor is going be shiny LOL.

Last edited:

BMR Tech

I'm not sure if that was a serious question but first you need to understand lambda and how it works. Air fuel ratio of 11.5 on E85 would be EXTREMELY lean considering it's stoich is 9.7:1.

It was a serious question, in terms of looking for an answer.

You can have a reading of 11.5 on a wideband, yet match your correct E85 a/f based on E85 Stoich.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm not sure if that was a serious question but first you need to understand lambda and how it works. Air fuel ratio of 11.5 on E85 would be EXTREMELY lean considering it's stoich is 9.7:1.

exactly^^

11.5 on e85 is roughly 17.6 if spraying gas.

The change to e80 would richen it up slightly ... dont have a calculator in front of me... not sure what the point of the question is.

BMR Tech are you trying to argue that a change in tune wouldnt be necessary? Of course you are.....being a tune salesman. I definitely understand your fear with the amount of money being thrown at tuners in this community.

:beer:

Last edited:

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
It was a serious question, in terms of looking for an answer.

You can have a reading of 11.5 on a wideband, yet match your correct E85 a/f based on E85 Stoich.

I see what you're saying but to me, I would rather just understand lambda and know that 1.00=stoich, anything lower is rich, anything higher is lean. It makes it much more simple to know where my fueling is and is much easier to understand.

exactly^^

11.5 on e85 is roughly 17.6 if spraying gas.

The change to e80 would richen it up slightly ... dont have a calculator in front of me... not sure what the point of the question is.

BMR Tech are you trying to argue that a change in tune wouldnt be necessary? Of course you are.....being a tune salesman.

:beer:

BMR Tech doesn't sell tunes. He's one of the most knowledgeable people about mustang suspension that I've ever talked to and he has provided valuable information to myself and many others for years.

BMR Tech

My car was tuned to 12.0:1 AF with my last combo, on E85. It was calibrated, though. So 14.7 = 9.7....

That said, my point of the question was simple. If you tune a car properly on E85, E80 will not hurt it.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Touche then my appologies.

Either way... good luck OP... Im sure youll be back up and running in no time.

:thumbsup:

BMR Tech

I agree Justin, for sure!

Lambda is the shizzle!

I have been doing my research my friend, you know what's coming soon. I'll be on the same Lambda page as you sir.

BMR Tech

If the car is tuned for E85, and you put E80 in it....it runs richer.

CPRsm

^^^ exactly, and hurts nothing. Have seen people tune for e85 and run e70 and only saw it go rich, at 1400rwhp. Not until about E50 did we see a performance loss

blame e85. ..... this is why the pistons on this motor look clean and leave no trace of detonation. I've seen pistons melt on e85 without ever knocking.
it can melt because E85 has such a high detonation threshold. But no knock, and and nothing is torched.

Shit, I took it for gospel. I already went and drained my car and filled up with 93....

20k miles + of E85 here, no gunk.
Your car is new. Only people I ever see w sludge problems are older cars that ran their entire lives on gas, then make the switch. If that had anything to do with this here it would have shown piston or plug damage from fuel blockage.

Last edited:

Fabbed5.0

Established Member
The black gunk came from, gas stations that converted to e85. They put the e85 in regular gas tanks, which the e85 stripped (cleaned) all of the shit out of the gas tank, which the people pumped into there cars. The black gunk is something you don't hear about anymore because people got smart and realized what it did and now there are stricter regulations on e85. Thorntons Gas station has e85 safe tanks and pumps at all of there stations. I could go into even more detail but I've must of posted this 20 times now on here.

N20D5OH

Established Member
Your car is new. Only people I ever see w sludge problems are older cars that ran their entire lives on gas, then make the switch. If that had anything to do with this here it would have shown piston or plug damage from fuel blockage.

Was my sarcasm that far off the mark?

BMR Tech

The black gunk came from, gas stations that converted to e85. They put the e85 in regular gas tanks, which the e85 stripped (cleaned) all of the shit out of the gas tank, which the people pumped into there cars. The black gunk is something you don't hear about anymore because people got smart and realized what it did and now there are stricter regulations on e85. Thorntons Gas station has e85 safe tanks and pumps at all of there stations. I could go into even more detail but I've must of posted this 20 times now on here.

It happened to many people in the 03/04 Cobra community. The most common cause of the black gunk on those cars, was E85 incompatible parts in the system.

SStampede

Established Member
Ok, I'm lost, so we still don't know what caused the failure, Correct?

Thanks.

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
Ok, I'm lost, so we still don't know what caused the failure, Correct?

Thanks.

we will... Just not as fast as you guys will like. As I said a page or 2 back before it really took off on E85 topic(s) and discussion (which is GREAT!) the heads are being sent out and I will be flow testing the inj soon. Maybe I should before buying a whole new set. I am off for the next entire week with NO KIDS! NO WIFEY! so I may swing by the shop pick em up and run em to BOOSTLAB for testing.

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
Omg, this forum is filled with know it all that don't know shit. Not only this thread but all over the forum! Sometimes I wonder if it's libs seeing if I am retarded enough to argue with them.

Last edited:

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
we will... Just not as fast as you guys will like. As I said a page or 2 back before it really took off on E85 topic(s) and discussion (which is GREAT!) the heads are being sent out and I will be flow testing the inj soon. Maybe I should before buying a whole new set. I am off for the next entire week with NO KIDS! NO WIFEY! so I may swing by the shop pick em up and run em to BOOSTLAB for testing.

Kirk at Boostlab is a good honest guy. He's been in the Supra game / Tampa community forever. Can't beat $20 inj flowed and cleaned local by someone with OCD.

BMR Tech

^ Wow! $20?

That's not bad at all. Thanks for sharing.

Is he the same Kirk that used to have an SRT-4 Neon back in like 05/06?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread