ALL MOTOR BOLT-ON & TUNED Motor failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
Good luck on the rebuild, and thanks for sharing.

Thanks. I also Opt to ditch the entire boss intake manifold BBK throttle body in JLT cold air intake and will be replacing it with the Cobra Jet intake manifold the Super Cobra Jet mono blade Tb and the Revolution Automotive 5 inch cold air intake set up. In addition, a SS McLeod braided clutch line upgrade from OEM. (might as well...lol) Should be fun. I will be swinging by RI today.

Last edited:

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
UPDATE pics after visiting RI a few days ago.

RIteardown5_zps2e3a43b3.gif

RIteardown6_zps2ae965db.gif

RIteardown7_zpsf87e7f8a.gif

RIteardown3_zpsee2fbdb7.jpg

RIteardown4_zps6e592e8d.gif

RIteardown_zps51ade800.gif

RIteardown9sparkplugs_zpsfaebac28.gif

871a3cb2-c0a7-4ed1-b209-b0c1ed150360_zps2e7a279d.jpg

The last pic shows the hair difference between all the other plugs. Some may see it and some may noy. Collin and I noticed it and there is a very small closing in the gap vs the others. Possibly from the pc of piston or something else. Either way, all else remains pretty consistant with all 8.

BMR Tech

So are you just boiling it down to a "freak accident" ?

Good luck, and I hope everything works out for you.

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
Would deff have the injectors flow tested meng, even if you have to buy new injectors.Like CPR said, could have been a gasket allowing coolant to pour in. How did the gaskets look?

Find the issue, before firing up that pretty new motor.

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
So are you just boiling it down to a "freak accident" ?

Good luck, and I hope everything works out for you.

In a way, but not completely. Still lurking in my dreams and whispering in my ear "THE CAUSE." What Smm is saying below. Step by step while I still have time getting stuff together. Thanks

Would deff have the injectors flow tested meng, even if you have to buy new injectors.Like CPR said, could have been a gasket allowing coolant to pour in. How did the gaskets look?

Find the issue, before firing up that pretty new motor.

^ yep. Just giving to u guys as I have it and its given to me.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
blame e85. Everyone thinks its miracle fuel and when used sparingly and with caution--it absolutely is. In turbo 4 cylinder land e85 allows us to run STUPID boost levels without one single trace of knock; this is why the pistons on this motor look clean and leave no trace of detonation. I've seen pistons melt on e85 without ever knocking.

Read this thread. DSMers are nuts and are hands ON. We WILL find out what happened and find a way to fix it. :)

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/e85-goo-this-time-with-an-attitude.416147/

The problem is people love it so much and start running it exclusively. The fact is this: e85 WILL gum up your entire fuel system with a black tar-like sludge. Everything from your fuel pump, fuel filter/s, fuel lines, and fuel injectors WILL get clogged and gummed up causing intermittent lean conditions that will affect your afr in random spots at random times.

The way I prevent this is simple. Run a tank of pump gasoline after every couple tanks of e85. Gasoline dissolves all of the gum and tar deposits that e85 leaves behind.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
...That should get quite the response. :pop:

Not even worth a response. It's an ignorant and misinformed post that has been disproven over and over again.

Best of luck with the new motor Jayvee, I'm excited to see how you do once it's all back together.

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
Not even worth a response. It's an ignorant and misinformed post that has been disproven over and over again.

Best of luck with the new motor Jayvee, I'm excited to see how you do once it's all back together.

I Appreciate that Justin. It was and has been painful but at least, this open all kind of worry free doors for the future to come once I bounce back. Just trying to evaluate things to make any more changes while everything is at this state of tears down explosion.

I also found the post to be "Out Dated" at best due to all the info pouring in the community and elsewhere. But the responses will come anyways...After all, its SVTP lol!

Fabbed5.0

Established Member
blame e85. Everyone thinks its miracle fuel and when used sparingly and with caution--it absolutely is. In turbo 4 cylinder land e85 allows us to run STUPID boost levels without one single trace of knock; this is why the pistons on this motor look clean and leave no trace of detonation. I've seen pistons melt on e85 without ever knocking.

Read this thread. DSMers are nuts and are hands ON. We WILL find out what happened and find a way to fix it. :)

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/e85-goo-this-time-with-an-attitude.416147/

The problem is people love it so much and start running it exclusively. The fact is this: e85 WILL gum up your entire fuel system with a black tar-like sludge. Everything from your fuel pump, fuel filter/s, fuel lines, and fuel injectors WILL get clogged and gummed up causing intermittent lean conditions that will affect your afr in random spots at random times.

The way I prevent this is simple. Run a tank of pump gasoline after every couple tanks of e85. Gasoline dissolves all of the gum and tar deposits that e85 leaves behind.

HOLY misinformed post. :nonono:

BMR Tech

Yeah, that is a horrible post.

Actually, I would say that is the worst post I have seen since September of 1998.

N20D5OH

Established Member

Actually, I would say that is the worst post I have seen since September of 1998.

Shit, I took it for gospel. I already went and drained my car and filled up with 93....

20k miles + of E85 here, no gunk.

Sick_Mustang

Established Member

Lmfao

Damn, and I think highly of the DSM community and their wealth of knowledge.They have done some absolutely amazing things over the years.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Lmfao

Damn, and I think highly of the DSM community and their wealth of knowledge.They have done some absolutely amazing things over the years.

As you should... the platform is now 24+ years old and was WAY ahead of its time when released.

That said.. it should come as no surprise that the group who works on DSMs has uncovered EVERYTHING thinkable with regards to blowing up motors and how to make power.

I merely put that info about e85 out there so people think about what it has been documented as doing on thousands of peoples cars.

Do i run e85? Absolutely. its amazing fuel. Im just fully aware of the cautions that need to be taken.

But hey... im just an ignorant know nothing fool so take it for what its worth.

Some more interesting reading for those that care... These are other platforms to show its not just a "dsm" thing.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/th...-valvoline-oil-black-tar-look-at-pics.259437/

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=436654

Remember the purity of e85 is inconsistent at best which is yet another reason to be cautious. This community seems to have BLIND allegiance to whatever tuner they pay which can be dangerous if they tune your car for e85 and what actually goes in your tank is e80 or e78 or whatever. The ratio of alchohol to gas changes by the season depending on the region you live in so just keep that in mind.

Last edited:

BMR Tech

Remember the purity of e85 is inconsistent at best which is yet another reason to be cautious. This community seems to have BLIND allegiance to whatever tuner they pay which can be dangerous if they tune your car for e85 and what actually goes in your tank is e80 or e78 or whatever. The ratio of alchohol to gas changes by the season depending on the region you live in so just keep that in mind.

Yes, it is occasionally E82 here in Florida. I've never seen it, but heard about it.

That said, let's make these posts of value, so I will start with asking a super simple question.

If you tune your car on E85, the real deal...85%.....at 11.5 AF, what is the effect of putting E80 in the tank? What is your new AF with the E80?

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
They're just using E85 incompatible parts, that's all.

Yup, or poor quality E85. Both are bad news. Thankfully the bay area has high quality E85 and we have yet to run into an issue. Jayvee's motor did not break as a result of E85, that much is for certain.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Yes, it is occasionally E82 here in Florida. I've never seen it, but heard about it.

That said, let's make these posts of value, so I will start with asking a super simple question.

If you tune your car on E85, the real deal...85%.....at 11.5 AF, what is the effect of putting E80 in the tank? What is your new AF with the E80?

I'm not sure if that was a serious question but first you need to understand lambda and how it works. Air fuel ratio of 11.5 on E85 would be EXTREMELY lean considering it's stoich is 9.7:1.

Also, to answer your question. If the car is tuned for a high stoich fuel, and you put in a lower stoich fuel instead, the car will run VERY lean. Likewise, if you put in a higher stoich fuel (93 octane) on a car that is tuned for a lower stoich fuel (E85), the car will run VERY rich.

Last edited:

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I'll also say that if a motor blows in my laser... who really cares. I can hand build another one that will withstand 800+ HP for $1500 or less... not a big deal.

On the other hand... bending over to the tune of $5-6000+ for an aluminator or MMR shortblock for my GT would absolutely ruin my day. Not to mention i would HATE tearing the front end off a brand new car to yank the motor and replace it.

You people probably have lots more $$ than me which is fine... For some its easier to buy vs. build.

Enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread