ALL 93 COBRA OWNERS PLEASE READ

Liv4Spd

Established Member
We need your help; a group off us "93Cobra#2771, 93cobra#3326, some others & myself" are trying very hard too get some OEM look alike wheels In The Correct Offset that are 8.5in as opposed to our stocker 7.5in wheels. These wheels would allow us to run wider, stickier, better performing tires in sizes up too but not excluding 275/45/17s. Anyone of you that may have any interest at all in wheels such as these, now or future, PLEASE post your feelings on the following website with the messages directed toward "Jeffo"
BTW-He has suggested that he will consider making a limited run of these 8.5in wheels in our offset if there is enough interest. Every post helps, if you've posted before it wouldn't hurt to post again just to prove to him that there is a genuine interest in these wheels.
Thanks for your time!
Rahmi

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=3302131#post3302131

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
cobra1993svt,
They are an exact copy/color of the originals, other than being 8.5" wide vs. 7.5" wide. There are pics on page 8 or 9 of the thread that Liv4Spd posted. They are also going to be availble in 4 or 5 lug, painted or chrome, original style center caps and everything.

Surely Brandon (speedfreak) will chime in, I know he's gotta get a set for one of his 28 cars surely...
:D

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
I plan on getting two of the 8.5's in the standard mustang offset. (( to use on the rear)

The problem with doing 8.5 with our offset is that I do not believe they will work on the front. Odds are they would do the same as the 17x9 Cobra R's do on a fox body and that is rub the A arm OR
they would not clear the fender lip.

Just something to consider

-Lee

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
The wheels wouldn't be "exactly" our offset, they would just not stick out the extra inch that the 5.0 offset will cause on our cars.

Basically, the current wheel they are doing sticks out about 1/4" further than a standard 5.0 wheel. Add the 3/4" that our cars add, and that equals about 1". So, his current offering will stick out 1" further than our stock wheels currently do. Can we expect some clearance problems with the rear fender lip without rolling the lip? It will vary according to tire size, but I will guess there will be some issues during full suspension compression/extreme driveway angles, etc.

I too am planning on a set for the rear only. Will the front rims hit? Heck, mine will hit now if I crank all the way to the lock. They will work, I believe, just have to put some of the steering rack limiters on to keep them from hitting at full lock. I just wanted to keep my stock size rims on the front, and a wider rim on the back.

An easy fix to get the standard 5.0 rims to fit the front would be to remove your 3/4" spacers off your Baer brakes, Lee. :D

In the rear, we could always get a set of standard 5.0 length axles and use the north race cars relocation brackets for the rear rotors. I just don't want to purchase new axles at this time.

hollant

Stuck In First Gear
Established Member
It would be cheaper to change the front rotors to GT rotors and change the rear axles to GT length axles. You could keep the stock brake set up by getting a bracket that will move the rear disks in the 1/2 inch or so. That way you could buy any wheel that fits fox cars. It really opens up a lot of options...

Here is a link to the website that sells the bracket I am talking about.

http://www.northracecars.com/catalog/brakes/brakes.htm

Check out the "4 Lug rear disk brake conversion" bracket for $140

Then, if you still anted to have the option of having the stock wheels, you could buy 1/2" spacers for those days when you want the stock look (shows) and run the other wheels (sans spacers when you want more tire on the street/track.

I really love the stock wheels, but I am also crazy about the old Steeda Pentars.... The 17x8.5s look great with 275 drag radials in the back and 255s up front. I like the idea of having more wheel options than the cobra brake setup allows!

I will send Jeffo a quick note to support you guys though!

Good luck!

Last edited:

cobra1993svt

Established Member
I didnt read all the posts but I will later. Do you have a price yet?Also someone posted above that they are NOT the exact copy about one inch BIGGER. Is that true?

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Yep, they are 1" wider than the stock wheel. But, you cannot tell by looking at the front of the wheel. The part that everyone sees looks exactly like our stock wheels. The only way you could tell would be when looking from behind or the front of the car.

I don't see how it would be cheaper to change front rotors/axles/north race cars brackets - You are buying new wheels only if they are the correct offset, or you are buying new wheels/rotors/axles/north race cars brackets if they are the wrong offset. I happen to know that Lee is running Baer brakes up front (Cobra specific kit). They make it Cobra specific by adding a 3/4" spacer to their standard 5.0 kit. That was why I told him to pull his spacers off. :)

Last I heard, price was in the 150/wheel range for painted. Don't know how much for chrome.

hollant

Stuck In First Gear
Established Member
Yeah, I guess it would only be cheaper if you aleady have the wheels and axles. I have a few spare parts lying around the garage, so in my situation, all I need are the brackets and I am good to go!

buddha93

Established Member
I need a set in the worst way! Anyone that runs the 275 BFG Drag radials knows the the stockers actually pull the tread up, off of the payment because they are just too narrow. These would get more of the tire on the ground. Whats the latest and greatest on these wheels?

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Originally posted by 93Cobra2771

In the rear, we could always get a set of standard 5.0 length axles and use the north race cars relocation brackets for the rear rotors. I just don't want to purchase new axles at this time.

I feel certain with the standard 5.0 offset this will not be necessary. From what I saw when I stuck the 'R's on the rear of my car it will put these replicas where they should have been from the factory:)

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Lee,
The point I'm making is at full suspension compression in the rear with a healthy sized tire (275/40/17 comes to mind). I'm concerned about the clearance at the lip.

I know several people with 5.0's running a 9" rear rim, they had to roll their rear fender lip to avoid interferance.

Granted, the tire/rim looks great almost flush with the top of the fenderwell lip (looking down on the lip to the ground). :D

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Richard I know what you are talking about. That is what I am saying the wheel does not reach the fender lip

Liv4Spd

Established Member
Even if the fender didn't interfere with the tire, wouldn't it be nice to have the option of a near OEM offset wheel seeing as how our choices are soo limited in the first place.:thumbsup:
BTW people keep the posts coming! :D

Users who are viewing this thread