Alignment issues

2003oxfordCobra

Established Member
Hey guys, just took my 2003 cobra to the dealer to get an alignment done. Car mods as follows:

*Stock A-Arms
*H&R ss Springs
*Stock Bilstiens
*Stock strut mounts
*Camber bolts up front (top mounting location - strut to knuckle. Needed these to lessen the amount of negative camber from lowering the car and retain the ability to utilize the stock strut mounts.)
*bumpsteer kit from UPR. (Adjusted to be parallel with A-arms while vehicle is on the ground.)
*UPR tubular K-member

I have attached the hunter alignment rack printout.

The ford techs told me they couldn't get the steering wheel straight and keep the front toe settings within spec. They also told me they could not adjust my rear IRS toe links (the nuts were loosened, but the rod would not rotate).

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I was going to remove the rear toe links and clean them up with a wire wheel, but the front toe issue has me scratching my head.

20210619_095510.jpg

big dad

Established Member
There's a very easy way to get the steering wheel straight, in fact it was in the Ford service manual.

Try this: If the wheel is off to the left depending on how much, loosen the outer tie rod jams nuts on both sides, now there are adjusting flats on the rod after the jam nut and turn the rod up to take care of the swivel and then use a I believe 13mm open end wrench and rotate it up 1/4 turn, snug the jam nut and do the same to the other side. when you do this it adds toe on one side and takes it off on the other side so the steering wheel position will change without changing the toe specs. If the wheel is off to the right then you need to go down on the tie rod. I've given you a starting point if the adjustment is to much reduce it accordingly.

I don't understand why the tech didn't make a caster swing to include those specs, but if you don't have a pull or drift issue while driving caster will not cause a wear issue .

If you have any questions or concerns PM me and I'll assist you from there.

big dad

Established Member
After further thoughts on your problems you can try this in the rear. Loosen the tie rod jam nuts, now use a good heat source like a torch or MAP torch and heat it up get it nice and hot, now hit it with cold water like from a garden hose. Try turning the ends now. You may have to do this more than once but it will eventually give.

2003oxfordCobra

Established Member
Thanks big, I've been doing string alignments for a couple of years now and never had an issue getting the steering wheel straight. It's a little time consuming, but the trip to the dealer for an alignment yesterday took about 3 hours. They were working on my car the whole time as I watched from a distance. I will try your method you described.

Kind of frustrating because they try to upsell me on stuff like new inner tie rods up front and new rear tie rods (which they don't make anymore according to their parts department). Saying they couldn't get it into spec without them installing all this stuff. I actually got under the car in their bays to show their tech how to adjust the aftermarket bumpsteer portion of the tie rod. Very frustrating.

The car drives A LOT better than it did before, and they didn't charge me anything for my visit. If I could just get the wheel aligned and toe is not off afterwards, I may just leave it how it is and monitor tire wear.

big dad

Established Member
One more piece of advice. I just measured the front tie rod angle to the steering knuckle in the static position on the ground and it is 5* UP not level. This will make a difference in the toe adjustment if corrected but could affect bumpsteer if not. Hope this further helps you.

2003oxfordCobra

Established Member
Is the angle you measured on the tie rod 5 degrees up from the angle of the A-Arm? Or 5 degrees up from the parallel of the floor? Just want to make sure I dial it in correctly.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Here is a kicker,,

My front is untouched,,

The rear toe will also move steering wheel.

Have to do what was said for front on rear to center wheel

big dad

Established Member
Hot cobra03 you are correct. When you adjust the rear toe that is referred to as the thrust angle and it will affect the 4 wheel alignment front toe and steering wheel straightness.

5* parallel to the floor.
Is the angle you measured on the tie rod 5 degrees up from the angle of the A-Arm? Or 5 degrees up from the parallel of the floor? Just want to make sure I dial it in correctly.

Here is a kicker,,

My front is untouched,,

The rear toe will also move steering wheel.

Have to do what was said for front on rear to center wheel

Users who are viewing this thread