Aligning Exhaust

MissV8der

Established Member
I've searched quite a bit and haven't found any threads or discussions about it, so figured I'd see if anyone had any tips.

I'm looking to better align my catback. As you can see in the picture below....it's not straight. It has bugged me for the past year or so and now I'm going to attempt to do something about it. I have the 3" Bassani Catback, and the pipes that I need to align are attached to the mufflers with a clamp.

My assumptions are that I can simply loosen the clamp, use a block of wood on a jack (per someone on here in a previous thread, sorry I can't remember who it was), jack up the side that needs to be aligned and then just re-tighten the clamp?
I'd like info or advice from anyone that has had to do this before. I feel like every time I do something on this car that "seems straightforward and simple," it never is straightforward or simple :mad::rolleyes:

IMG-4859.jpg

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I'm not sure how many clamps you have. On my Stingers I have clamps where the flow tubes meet before the mufflers and then where the pipes meet the tailpipes after the muffler. I do the wood block thing as far as putting it on a jack and pushing against the bend in the tailpipes a tad. It gets them level. Then I twist the pipes and the mufflers and until things are sitting fairly neutral in the hangers. Meaning the metal brackets are level in the rubber hangers and not twisted up. Then I tighten the rear clamps and the front clamps last. It might take a couple tries, but I usually get it first try that way.

GodStang

Established Member
Same here. I loosen every thing and use two people. One stands at back of car while you move it to where you want it using wood blocks and jacks and when I get it there I tighten it back down.

MissV8der

Established Member
I'm not sure how many clamps you have. On my Stingers I have clamps where the flow tubes meet before the mufflers and then where the pipes meet the tailpipes after the muffler. I do the wood block thing as far as putting it on a jack and pushing against the bend in the tailpipes a tad. It gets them level. Then I twist the pipes and the mufflers and until things are sitting fairly neutral in the hangers. Meaning the metal brackets are level in the rubber hangers and not twisted up. Then I tighten the rear clamps and the front clamps last. It might take a couple tries, but I usually get it first try that way.

Great info, thank you so much! I'll be doing it this coming weekend :)

Same here. I loosen every thing and use two people. One stands at back of car while you move it to where you want it using wood blocks and jacks and when I get it there I tighten it back down.

Well, there's just me...lol. But I'll get it with a little more work. Thanks for the info!

AnarchyVA

Established Member
I have the same problem with my LM1s. It’s bothered me for a while. Tried to fix it a couple of times. Made small improvements. Learned to live with it.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I've also found that it's best to loosen as many clamps as possible. I also try to let the pipes sort of hang as "naturally" as possible before making adjustments and then the final tightening. Best of luck with it!

WiBS

Established Member
Are your tips exiting the rear aligned? I also have a bassani and both tips rub the outer edge. This will be my project soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Really never saw it done much but I had my custom exhaust guy connect the pipes under the IRS like a second X/H-pipe. Made removal a one piece deal but he had to make sure it was perfect before welding.
With the Mac Pro-chamber and Borla Pro XS mufflers (swapped out the Stingers, too raspy) and that rear connector, it was the best sounding Cobra to me.
-J

MissV8der

Established Member
Are your tips exiting the rear aligned? I also have a bassani and both tips rub the outer edge. This will be my project soon

Yeah, the tips are aligned pretty straight coming out of the back in the bumper cut outs. I had to somewhat twist mine around when I installed the catback to get them straight.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Really never saw it done much but I had my custom exhaust guy connect the pipes under the IRS like a second X/H-pipe. Made removal a one piece deal but he had to make sure it was perfect before welding.
With the Mac Pro-chamber and Borla Pro XS mufflers (swapped out the Stingers, too raspy) and that rear connector, it was the best sounding Cobra to me.
-J

That sounds like the M55 set up. I've always been curious how the second X pipe affects the sound.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member

My bassani has been a pain to get perfect too. Don't get me wrong the fitment and quality of the exhaust is top notch but getting everything perfect takes some patience.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
That sounds like the M55 set up. I've always been curious how the second X pipe affects the sound.
Not sure. We just looked at it as he was fabricating it to swap out the stingers (horrible with catless X, almost ricer) for the Borla Pro XS and Prochamber, noticed how close the under IRS pipes were, and I asked him to connect them. I thought it was killer sounding, wish I had vids.
-J

MissV8der

Established Member
Another small project with great results down...

I managed to get the exhaust pretty close to even, ended up loosening the catback from the x-pipe and had to pull the passengers side pipe down in order to make them even. Used some wood to shim it down where I needed it, and then tightened the clamps on the xpipe/catback flange and it looks great!

Thanks for all of the input, I appreciate the advice.

88-C8-BF15-D3-C2-4-ABD-817-F-C4-DAD31-EA462.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread