Alignement issues after lowering, help needed.

psucobra

Established Member
I lowered my 2012 yesterday with Steeda Sports springs, Koni STR.T shocks and struts and Steeda upper strut mounts. Went to the alignment shop this morning and they said I was at -2.0 degrees camber and that the plates did not have enough adjustment to get it in spec on the driver side. The passenger side looked like it would have got there.

Im confused as to what the problem could be since so many have lowered and reported they didn't even need plates. I can even get in spec with the plates. I came back home and checked the install every thing seems to be in order, steeda logos are towards the outside on the plates. Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

Sirl

Established Member
Maybe no help, but, I know with Max. Motorsports CC Plates, you can flip them side to side for different specs.

No clue if Steeda does the same.
Good luck.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
You ALWAYS need C/C plates when you lower your car. you can sometimes get close without them but you will not get it spot on in spite of what the ones running witout say.

I lowered my 2012 yesterday with Steeda Sports springs, Koni STR.T shocks and struts and Steeda upper strut mounts. Went to the alignment shop this morning and they said I was at -2.0 degrees camber and that the plates did not have enough adjustment to get it in spec on the driver side. The passenger side looked like it would have got there.

Im confused as to what the problem could be since so many have lowered and reported they didn't even need plates. I can even get in spec with the plates. I came back home and checked the install every thing seems to be in order, steeda logos are towards the outside on the plates. Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

OAC_Sparky

Established Member
Sounds like one of two problems, one being that you might have been on the very edge of spec to begin with. Second, you might want to check when the last time the alignment rack was calibrated.

A third possibility, is possibly the engine subframe but I can't say that this applies to the Mustang or not. For example, in the Edge that we build the whole front suspension, engine and trans is pre-assembled before it is mated to the car from beneath. If the subframe is offset to one side it causes the camber to be uneven side to side. Like i said I dont know if this applies to the Mustang I'd have to look at the shop manual later.

Last edited:

psucobra

Established Member
A third possibility, is possibly the engine subframe but I can't say that this applies to the Mustang or not. For example, in the Edge that we build the whole front suspension, engine and trans is pre-assembled before it is mated to the car from beneath. If the subframe is offset to one side it causes the camber to be uneven side to side. Like i said I dont know if this applies to the Mustang I'd have to look at the shop manual later.

THanks. For now Im gonna swap the whole strut assemblies and take it back down there to see if that make any difference.

FastRedPonyCar

Powered by Cuisinart
Established Member
LRS sells eibach camber adjustment bolts. They can probably get you close. paired with + camber from the steeda plates, you should be able to get it back neutral but a little negative camber isn't going to hurt.

psucobra

Established Member
This is actually my second time lowering the car. The first time I did it with Roush extreme spings and and all stock hardware. That time around the car was -1.50 degrees on both sides. I installed camber bolts and they still said the couldnt get it in spec without slotting the struts. Decided to go with the Steedas becuase the Roush springs were just as bouncy as stock, just a firmer bounce.

What blows my mind is, with the new springs, struts and plates it is further out of spec than the first time, even with the plates maxed out. Im starting to think one of the componets might be defective.

SaleenGT2001

Established Member
i aligned my car with BMR springs with just camber bolts. sounds like the shop either has no idea what they are doing or the plates are installed wrong. -2.0 is a LOT with plates installed. mine wasnt that bad before i put the bolts in it.

psucobra

Established Member
i aligned my car with BMR springs with just camber bolts. sounds like the shop either has no idea what they are doing or the plates are installed wrong. -2.0 is a LOT with plates installed. mine wasnt that bad before i put the bolts in it.

I thought they may have been installed wrong, so i pulled both complete strut assemblies off, inspected and reinstalled them on opposite sides. i figured if there was a defective componet in the strut assembly it would now show up on the other side. After reinstalling the drivers side was still too far out of spec. As a result they had to slot the top strut bolt whole to get the additional camber. Not to pleased about, but at least its aligned. Still would like to find out what the problem is.

apg2369

SNAKE OF ALL TRADES
Established Member

What year Steeda mounts do you have 2005-2010 or 2011-2012 ? Koni STR.T @ yellows will only work with the 05-10 Steeda plates with the sport springs ...If you are using the 11-12 plates there is your problem .

your camber should be in the range of -1.0 to - 1.2 max with a 1' drop with pleanty of adjustment on your plates .

psucobra

Established Member
What year Steeda mounts do you have 2005-2010 or 2011-2012 ? Koni STR.T @ yellows will only work with the 05-10 Steeda plates with the sport springs ...If you are using the 11-12 plates there is your problem .

your camber should be in the range of -1.0 to - 1.2 max with a 1' drop with pleanty of adjustment on your plates .

Using the 2005-2010 plates, struts and the sport springs.

Users who are viewing this thread