Airmen, in here.

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
im NDI (non destructive inspection) AKA "No Dirt Involved" probably the easiest job in maintenance, and its a great field to get into when you retire. Its not hard to get into although tech school is a PITA, (all about theory) but we dont do much. Job title is to inspect tools, aircraft etc... for Cracks. Using x-ray, magnetic particle, Penetrant dye. really cool job. Plus schooling is in Pensacola florida for 3 months which aint to shabby.

RCM90

Established Member
You will never have to take open general. It just depends on how long you want to wait for the job you want. If you pressure the recruiter they will eventually relent.

I've turned down one open enlistment already, and I told my recruiter I am willing to wait, because I will continue my education and I might be able to finish my Associate's degree. I will stay persistant and hopefully I will get a guarenteed job.

oilwell1415

Established Member
According to them, guaranteed contracts are kind of a thing of the past now.

There are ways around that. At our ANG base you get what they sign you up for. There have been several that join, go through basic and tech school, and then go to another unit on active duty. I don't know the exact process to do this, just that I've seen several people go that way.

Shelby1

Established Member
Currently Security Forces and this job isn't too bad... Working in the missile field up here in Minot does blow though!

Trying to cross train over to Air Traffic... It is what the pops did and since I have always been interested in aviation it will be a good fit for me.

With your ASVAB score almost every career should be open to you. Pick what you want, do you want to save downed aircrew? Do you like playing with airplanes? Or do you want to bust people for shoplifting at the BX? I love the AF there are so many opportunities to see the world and experience things you may never get a chance to in the civilian world!

Good luck with your choice and hope to see you in Blue soon!

Shenanigans

Established Member
I'll be headed to basic June 8. Pretty pumped I got the lock for remotely piloted aircraft sensor operator apprentice, and I'll graduate E-3.

Graves

Established Member
I'll be headed to basic June 8. Pretty pumped I got the lock for remotely piloted aircraft sensor operator apprentice, and I'll graduate E-3.

1U0X1? I was reading about that and was considering retraining, but I'm probably going to get out instead. From what I've heard, it sounds pretty sweet.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
1U0X1? I was reading about that and was considering retraining, but I'm probably going to get out instead. From what I've heard, it sounds pretty sweet.

That one was on my list too. But because there is a 3 month waiting list to even get seen by flight med, I scratched that one off the list. I got 6C0, 3E8, and 1N3. I'm not sure I want to keep 1N3 on my list though. Damn decisions:shrug:

Shenanigans

Established Member

1U031. I'm still doing some reading, but sensor operators will now be getting fly pay as well fyi :coolman:. Haha it was either this or airborne battle systems management (don't remember the code atm).

stellar591

BlackChrome Saleens FTMFW
Established Member
2A071P, backshop avionics here. I agree with the Chief, I've had good experiences and bad in maintenance. The people around you are a huge influence. I'm debating retraining into the UAV sensors job or Contracting. Just completed my flight physical for the UAV job. Both have great SRBs and both are not maintenance.

csvtjohnga

Established Member
That shit would piss me off sssoooooooo much. At keesler the MTLs would always run out 5 min before pt to take down the black flag and put that bastard back up right after:fm:

We'd watch them do that on top of the "Fish Bowl".

ATC here in a guard unit in NC. I think about going AD every day.

latamud

Gearhead
Established Member
holy shit man. learning chinese is a bitch! esp. if you learn to speak, read and write. and there are lots of jobs outside if you are good at it. what are you doing now that you are out?

Maybe you didn't read my message completely. It's cool, I do it all the time too :rolling:

Quote:
Originally Posted by latamud View Post
I just separated last June, 10 years as a Chinese linguist. I can't give you the details of what we did but most people can figure it out. I spent a year and a half in Monterey, California learning Chinese, listening, reading writing speaking etc, then 5 months TDY to Goodfellow for intel school. My first duty station was Hawaii. The first 6 years of my career I spent my off duty time building hotrods in the auto hobby shop.
I don't have a Bachelors but my experience was accepted in lieu of when I got out this past summer. Also the TS/SCI clearance helped out some too. I'm a contractor now; I get paid to do Google searches in Chinese.
I've been to China twice, speaking the language helps out a lot.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
Don't go into maintenance, it sucks.

What he said.

Glad I retire 1 Oct 10.

I've worked Aircraft Maintenance for 17 years and did a 3 year tour as a First Sergeant.

The Air Force is so political now it makes me wanna hurl. :xpl:

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
Forgot to update this thread! Sorry guys.

So I lost a bunch of weight and got all of my paperwork done with ONE exception. I need to get a new birth certificate or I can't finish processing with MEPS and get my physical done. Reason being is that I was born in Puerto Rico and all birth certificates for Puerto Rican born people had to be reissued. I got a new one in May but the military won't accept one prior to July 2010 and now I'm on a 1-2 month waiting list for another one. I'm really frustrated but there isn't anything I can do but wait.

Slowtsi

Slow car driver
Established Member
I don't post much here and I'm not sure my opinion matters all too much since I've only been in a year.
I'm vehicle maintenance at whiteman. We exercise a lot and sometimes the job,heat,vehicles and whatever else stresses me out. I chalk that up to being new. I've feel lucky because I have an awesome supervisor who would probably bend over backwards to help his airmen out. I miss being home, but I'm also getting used to being away.
I mean there's a lot of little stuff that bugs me, but the friends I've already made, the memories I've made, and the growing experience I've gotten from it have made all the bothersome things worth it...
that being said, dont be a vehicle maintainer! lol ;)

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Maybe you didn't read my message completely. It's cool, I do it all the time too :rolling:

Quote:
Originally Posted by latamud View Post
I just separated last June, 10 years as a Chinese linguist. I can't give you the details of what we did but most people can figure it out. I spent a year and a half in Monterey, California learning Chinese, listening, reading writing speaking etc, then 5 months TDY to Goodfellow for intel school. My first duty station was Hawaii. The first 6 years of my career I spent my off duty time building hotrods in the auto hobby shop.
I don't have a Bachelors but my experience was accepted in lieu of when I got out this past summer. Also the TS/SCI clearance helped out some too. I'm a contractor now; I get paid to do Google searches in Chinese.
I've been to China twice, speaking the language helps out a lot.

actually .. I did read the whole damn thing LOL that just didn't register .. it's because I am old :beer:

Seriously I was in china twice as well for a month at a time. What an interesting experience. and the food ... damn I miss the food.

03cobraracer

Established Member
Forgot to update this thread! Sorry guys.

So I lost a bunch of weight and got all of my paperwork done with ONE exception. I need to get a new birth certificate or I can't finish processing with MEPS and get my physical done. Reason being is that I was born in Puerto Rico and all birth certificates for Puerto Rican born people had to be reissued. I got a new one in May but the military won't accept one prior to July 2010 and now I'm on a 1-2 month waiting list for another one. I'm really frustrated but there isn't anything I can do but wait.

that sucks man hopefully you get the new one soon and can get things going. im still in the process as well im just trying to lose this damn weight. for my height they wanted me at 190lbs back in april when i met the recruiter. when i saw him i was 231lbs.. im now at 208 and counting so im getting closer its just a bitch! lol he said you can also get in at 20% body fat but idk how much that would be, maybe around 200lbs i could sneek in. i plan to lose alot more in BMT and tech which is great, but i gotta lose enough now so i can get it going. goodluck to ya!

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Side Noob Question:

What's the deal with getting in as an Officer, and the cutoff is 28 correct?

Users who are viewing this thread