Airmen, in here.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Great score.
Was that on the real asvab or the practice test?
Did the physical go well?

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
That was on the real one, got an 83 on the practice test. I haven't done the physical yet, I'm about 6 lbs over the max weight for my height. :(

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
The weight sucks. lol
When I did mine I was a few pounds under and the guy talking with me warned that the AF has the toughest height/weight requirements.

Great score btw.

Marc

Established Member
Don't go into the Admin career field...it sucks...you could be stuck behind a desk all day
Don't go into the Security Forces career field...it sucks...you deploy alot...long hours
Don't go into Services...it sucks...you could be a cook or work in the gym
Don't go into Maintenance...it sucks...you could work long hours and weekends

Some of the things I have seen on this board and added a couple. My point: All jobs suck to a degree. Lots of time it has to do with where you are working at and who you are working for. So, take all those "Don't go into this career field" with a grain of salt.

If you stay in any length of time...at one time or another...you will go to a place that sucks...be in a job that sucks...and work for someone that sucks.

On the other hand, you will also...at one time or another...go to a place that is awesome, work in a great job, and have a supervisor that will mentor and help you grow throughout your career.

It all balances out in the end.

Trust me I have been around the block...Chief Master Sergeant going on 26 years of active duty and been to as many countries as I have fingers and toes. If you have anymore questions, just fire away.

yelostang

Established Member
maintenance definitely isnt for everyone. im heavy's avionics EW, i enjoy my job but it comes with alot of bull shit like most jobs do.

I did the same thing when I was in. Worked on the AC-130s, MC-130s, and the MH-53s for a little over 5, of my 6, years. Those pave-low deployments were the shit but I can't believe they retired those things.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Don't go into the Admin career field...it sucks...you could be stuck behind a desk all day
Don't go into the Security Forces career field...it sucks...you deploy alot...long hours

Some of the things I have seen on this board and added a couple. My point: All jobs suck to a degree. Lots of time it has to do with where you are working at and who you are working for. So, take all those "Don't go into this career field" with a grain of salt.

If you stay in any length of time...at one time or another...you will go to a place that sucks...be in a job that sucks...and work for someone that sucks.

On the other hand, you will also...at one time or another...go to a place that is awesome, work in a great job, and have a supervisor that will mentor and help you grow throughout your career.

Trust me I have been around the block...Chief Master Sergeant going on 26 years of active duty and been to as many countries as I have fingers and toes. If you have anymore questions, just fire away.
Listen to the Chief, he speaks the truth!

Hey Chief, how's Genghis Khan's Mongolian BBQ & the 19th hole? Still serving some good grub? China Pete's and Phai's still doing brisk business? My house looks like a China Pete storage annex thanks to the wife... My house is also fully equipped from King's furniture too! 5 years at Kadena really allowed us to stock up. :nonono:

Say "Hi" to MSgt Sipocz in the Weapons Safety office if you happen to run into him...

U.M.

oilwell1415

Established Member

I've been biting my tongue because I'm not in the military, but I do work closely with it. The statement above is the absolute truth. Military life is just like civilian life in many respects. You will have good times and bad times whether you're in a uniform or not. The best thing you can do is try to get a job you like. Our base here is small, probably less than 1000 airmen, but I can honestly say I have not met anyone that hates their job on a daily basis. Everyone has bad days from time to time. The jets don't always come back code 1, sometimes people need arrested, and sometimes the brass do things that don't make sense, but after a fews days everyone has a good laugh. A few years ago we bombed an apartment complex in the middle of town. That was a bad day on base, but it was handled well and now everyone has a laugh about it.

Some places are the exact opposite. When I was at Kirtland it seemed like people were a lot more uptight and there were many I met that seemed unhappy in their job, but I was only there for a week and didn't get to talk to many people. The food was great!

AF life is what you make of it. How you handle the things that happen to you is sometimes more important than what happened.

Marc

Established Member
Listen to the Chief, he speaks the truth!

Hey Chief, how's Genghis Khan's Mongolian BBQ & the 19th hole? Still serving some good grub? China Pete's and Phai's still doing brisk business? My house looks like a China Pete storage annex thanks to the wife... My house is also fully equipped from King's furniture too! 5 years at Kadena really allowed us to stock up. :nonono:

Say "Hi" to MSgt Sipocz in the Weapons Safety office if you happen to run into him...

U.M.

Genghis Kahn is still there and it rocks! I eat there at least once a month.

We have China Pete stuff in our house as well.

The new BX has Phai's in it. My daughter is actually a model there. She brings out the different things they auction off.

I actually know Sipocz and will let him know you said hello!

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
As always, the Chief hit the nail on the head! Years of experience there that shouldn't be ignored or overlooked.:beer:

AF life is what you make of it. How you handle the things that happen to you is sometimes more important than what happened.
Excellent point! If you put in the effort, you'll get rewarded in the military.

That being that, I'm a maintenance guy. I'll always be a maintenance guy. Sure, it can be a hard job at times, no way I'm going to deny that. Working out in the elements sure can get old quick. I can say, for myself and many others, the payoff for the pain is fixing/launching that jet... knowing it's going to do good things.

Satin03

Established Member
Spent 4 years in aircraft maintenance and loved it.

Been a flight engineer now for 14 years and love the hell out of it.

As mentioned, up and downs to everything. Maintenance was great but sometimes a real ball buster and long hours. Very rewarding seeing your aircraft fly though. FE amazing job but again, lots of studying, tests, flight evaluations, long hours, etc.

Both are great and wouldn't change a thing with the exception that I would've finished college first then join. Officer pay and privelages much much better for usually less work!!!!

In any case, congrats on the great ASVAB scores and best of luck in your decision.

motorider228

Established Member
You think you got it bad...come to Kadena AB, Japan.

I work with a couple guys from Kadena, they said the engines break a lot, but they all say that the Pratts are a much better engine to work on then the GE's that we have here. As for 15 vs. 16, all the Crew Chiefs and JETS guys here that have worked 15's in the past, say they would go back to 15's any day. Where are you a Chief at? Aircraft Maintenance?

Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
2a551b here. C130E crew chief. 97-01. I had it easy, assigned to a AETC squadron stayed stateside for my enlistment. Stationed in Little Rock, not very fun locale but has its perks if you like hunting, fishing or the outdoors in general. Awesome lakes there.

I was very motivated when I joined, wanted AFSOC AC-130 crew chief, didnt get it but that never stopped me from being one helluva good crew chief. Work hard and you WILL get noticed. I was asked to be ACC on the Sqdrn Comndrs ACFT as an A1C. I was choosen for SRA Below the Zone, an achievement that I'm still proud of.

It was already mentioned but its really what you make out of it. You have to look for the good things and focus on those, if you can do that then the bad wont seem so overwhelming.

A. I was close enough to home that on a 3 day weekend, I would talk to my supervisor and ask if it was ok for me to go home for the weekend.

B. Had a nice truck that I built with my AF paycheck. Weekends were spent cruisin to the drag strip or going to Benton to cruise sat night.

C. Had a pretty g/f that was a royal pain in my ass now that I look back on our relationship.

D. Don't do what I did. Get the hell out of the States and see the world. Stay single don't let girls or material possessions influence your decisions like I did. I still want to see Germany but now its gonna be on my dime.

Good luck with your career in the USAF.

birch

Go 'Eers!
Established Member
SIGINT (1N2) is what I do. Very gratifying, though your duty station selections are slim.
There are many opportunities and doors that open in this AFSC. Even 1N4 & 1N5. (analyst & linguist)

I'd look into those, if I were you.

Small world. 1N2 here also.

I went in open-general. Got lucky I guess. (depending on who you ask)

john3883

Slow Poke
Established Member

Make sure you make notes above. Also come in with a certain job picked DO NOT come in open in any career field. I made that mistake, got something I didn't want. As time went on I got lucky and landed a Medical job (Dental). I was very lucky. ATC or most medical jobs would be satisfying. I prefer to have weekends off and work Mon-Fri.

motorider228

Established Member
I go on an Air Force forum every now and then and there are a decent amount of recruiters on there. According to them, guaranteed contracts are kind of a thing of the past now. Being that the AF is overmanned and is having no problem reaching all of its recruited goals, DEPrs pretty much get whatever job the AF is willing to give them.

RCM90

Established Member
I go on an Air Force forum every now and then and there are a decent amount of recruiters on there. According to them, guaranteed contracts are kind of a thing of the past now. Being that the AF is overmanned and is having no problem reaching all of its recruited goals, DEPrs pretty much get whatever job the AF is willing to give them.

That is correct, I joined dec. 30 and I still haven't recieved a job. My recruiter said it will be at least september before I can leave for boot, and I will probably have to take a open.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
That is correct, I joined dec. 30 and I still haven't recieved a job. My recruiter said it will be at least september before I can leave for boot, and I will probably have to take a open.

You will never have to take open general. It just depends on how long you want to wait for the job you want. If you pressure the recruiter they will eventually relent.

Users who are viewing this thread