Airmen, in here.

THE_STIG

Established Member
2A313B (F-16 Crew Chief)

I highly recommend it, one of the best jobs. Extremely aggravating sometimes but possibly one of the most rewarding jobs in the air force. I love my job and would never cross train.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I just separated last June, 10 years as a Chinese linguist. I can't give you the details of what we did but most people can figure it out. I spent a year and a half in Monterey, California learning Chinese, listening, reading writing speaking etc, then 5 months TDY to Goodfellow for intel school. My first duty station was Hawaii. The first 6 years of my career I spent my off duty time building hotrods in the auto hobby shop.
I don't have a Bachelors but my experience was accepted in lieu of when I got out this past summer. Also the TS/SCI clearance helped out some too. I'm a contractor now; I get paid to do Google searches in Chinese.
I've been to China twice, speaking the language helps out a lot.

holy shit man. learning chinese is a bitch! esp. if you learn to speak, read and write. and there are lots of jobs outside if you are good at it. what are you doing now that you are out?

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
Don't go into maintenance, it sucks.

No offense but, LOL. I'm an 2A676, Electrical/Environmental Craftsman on the C-5... you'd think I'd hate MX. I love it... from finding the bad component to fixing the broken wire, even just kicking the jet out the door... all rewarding to me.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
No offense but, LOL. I'm an 2A676, Electrical/Environmental Craftsman on the C-5... you'd think I'd hate MX. I love it... from finding the bad component to fixing the broken wire, even just kicking the jet out the door... all rewarding to me.

Isn't that becasue you're a MSgt and you get to tell the troops what to do:poke:

J/k:beer:

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
I'm doing Jager-Bombs and fist pumping on the Beach in NJ. Sucks to be you.:banana:

LOL

I separated in 1996, and now work in a comfy office all year round as a computer programmer. 75 here degrees most of the week, by the way, so the sacrifice pays off at some point. :pepper:

I was just reminiscing. I don't know what they do to combat the heat now, but I remember many days of draping ice packs over the neck to last longer than 10 minutes out on tarmac. I wonder what base holds the record for the most black flagged days over a year?

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
It really depends on where your interests are. Back in the day, I started in ground communications in Elkhorn, Ne. Right after 'nam and in the middle of the cold war. Moved to airborne communications flying in rescue C-120's for 7 years. Then a couple of years in transportation as MAPS supt. Ended up as a 1st Sgt for a bunch of years. They all had their good points and challenging points. Best wishes if you choose the warrior patch.

MPRT_H8R

Established Member
GAYYYYYY! join the Navy !!!
jk i hear security forces get deployed a lot though, like a whole lot. good luck with your process, just remember the military is what you make out of it. keep your head up even when the times get tough, cause they will. stay strong and good luck!

NOOOOOO!!!! DO NOT JOIN THE NAVY! trust me on this one. there are very few cool jobs in the navy man. and no matter what job you have, you will almost always end up on a ****ing nasty ass ship. deployments on ships are horrible...they are loud, they smell bad, they make you smell bad, you get out of the shower and realize that the water smells bad, you are crammed in this little tiny spot to sleep, an even more tiny spot to keep your personal stuff, they think they need to blow a whistle through an intercom for everyone of the million announcements that they think is necessary to make. navy quality of life is no bueno......i hate my professional life more and more everyday......go Air Force man. i have never met a USAF person that didnt enjoy the quality of life in the AF

svtcobrar2004

Established Member
NOOOOOO!!!! DO NOT JOIN THE NAVY! trust me on this one. there are very few cool jobs in the navy man. and no matter what job you have, you will almost always end up on a ****ing nasty ass ship. deployments on ships are horrible...they are loud, they smell bad, they make you smell bad, you get out of the shower and realize that the water smells bad, you are crammed in this little tiny spot to sleep, an even more tiny spot to keep your personal stuff, they think they need to blow a whistle through an intercom for everyone of the million announcements that they think is necessary to make. navy quality of life is no bueno......i hate my professional life more and more everyday......go Air Force man. i have never met a USAF person that didnt enjoy the quality of life in the AF

correct, the quality of life in the AF is pretty chill as long as you arent in security forces.. seriously, this job sucks balls.

Zentenk

Established Member
3D0X2 here... I just got to Osan and can't wait to see the country and learn the language better. The job isn't always easy, and it isn't always fun... depends who you are working with and I think that is what matters most. I used to be Net Security at Dover then moved to Net Admin and now I'm basically doing helpdesk stuff. I wanted to get swapped over to 3D0X3 and I was actually going to until I got orders to Osan and they changed me back. Missed the bonus by 1 f'n day, asses wouldn't even let me slip in.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Be sure to pick a job that you enjoy doing and it's a bonus if said job has a direct civilian counterpart on the outside.

My son is a 2T2X! (Air Transportation) at Pope and he's getting beat down pretty bad work-wise here as of late. They're still supporting the Army at Bragg while also acting as a hub for Haitian relief flights. Lots of 12+ hours shifts and when you're not at Pope you're deployed somewhere for at least half the year.

I was an Ammo troop (461X0/2WOX1) for 21 years myself and did my fair share of TDY's. No better career field in the AF when it comes to comradery IMHO. Rest of the job can suck ass at times though.

Good Luck!

U.M.

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
(Tits-Clits & Beer Tabs!)

Last edited:

99navert

Established Member
correct, the quality of life in the AF is pretty chill as long as you arent in security forces.. seriously, this job sucks balls.

You're an E-2 in Korea, what did you expect? Once you're a 3P051 & SrA living off base your attitude might change. Once you pass your QC for patrol & Desk Sgt the job greatly improves.

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
Thanks a lot for the input everyone. I took the ASVAB last Friday and scored a 90 overall :banana:. A couple of the jobs that interest me the most are Space Systems Operations (1C6X1) and Electronic Signals Intelligence Exploitation (1N5X1).

Users who are viewing this thread