Airmen, in here.

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
I had a meeting with an AF recruiter yesterday and I'll be starting the enlisting process soon. I'll be taking the ASVAB (again) next Monday, after which I'll have to make a list of the top four jobs I'd like to have.

My question to you guys is, what do you do in the AF and what is it like? I've read a few things here and there on the website but I'd like some personal feedback from you all. :banana:

99navert

Established Member
I was Security Forces, if that type of job is on your radar let me know & I'll explain more. If you want to deploy a lot SF is the way to go in the AF.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
i was an air traffic controller. imo its one of the best jobs. in the summer you are in the ac and in the winter you are in the heat. best view on base (if you are in the tower like i was). If you can get stationed at an AETC base (training base) you will have awesome hours. Typically off all weekends, holidays, and the airfield will close in the evening versus other bases where you are open 365 24/7. You have crew rest, cant work longer than a 10hr shift and usually get breaks every 2hrs. If you arent planning making a career out of it you can find a great paying job once you get out. You will have to score above a certain score on the ASVAB to qualify though. I think you need atleast an 80 or 85. Hope that helps

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
i'm currently a Cyber Systems Operator (3D0X2) formally known as Comm Ops (3C0X1). I work on servers and all network components from unclassified to top secret/SCI. Currently a SSgt so if you have any questions about that career field or interest let me know but I enjoy it.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
i was an air traffic controller. imo its one of the best jobs. in the summer you are in the ac and in the winter you are in the heat. best view on base (if you are in the tower like i was). If you can get stationed at an AETC base (training base) you will have awesome hours. Typically off all weekends, holidays, and the airfield will close in the evening versus other bases where you are open 365 24/7. You have crew rest, cant work longer than a 10hr shift and usually get breaks every 2hrs. If you arent planning making a career out of it you can find a great paying job once you get out. You will have to score above a certain score on the ASVAB to qualify though. I think you need atleast an 80 or 85. Hope that helps

Do you have to pass a classIII flight pyshical for ATC?

i'm currently a Cyber Systems Operator (3D0X2) formally known as Comm Ops (3C0X1). I work on servers and all network components from unclassified to top secret/SCI. Currently a SSgt so if you have any questions about that career field or interest let me know but I enjoy it.

Damn career feild changes. Our new badge is gay as hell. I'm a 2E2 so we had the maintenance badge. Did you get a peice when they were giving the SRB for 3C0s?

To the OP you DO NOT have to pick your 4 top jobs and for the love of god DO NOT go anything "open". My old title was Computer Networking, Cryptographic, Switching Systems aka the jack of all trades. There are parts of my job that I love but parts I hate. Love when I either setup a network or have to tear down stuff to a capacitor (getting away from this), but I cannot stand some of the monitoring stuff we do. No actual work just telling other people what is broke and they need to fix it:kaboom:

If you can score a high enough ASVAB (don't remember the needed score),you can be eligible to take the DLAB. It is to test your language proficiency. If you can pass that along with a class III flight physical you can become an airborne crypto linguist. That job has a lot of perks. For one you're aircrew, two you learn a new language, three you get a TS. All of this means bank on the outside if the mil is not for you.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
with ATC you are on flying status and you do see the flight surgeon.

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
Thanks for the responses so far.

ssj4, I'm definitely not going in "open". I've been warned about a bunch of times and I can see why. One guy I know that did that ended up being a cook :dw:

I took the ASVAB my senior year in high school and got an 83. That was 3 years ago but when I took the practice test yesterday I got the same score.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
i scored an 86 so you should be good if you are considering ATC

latamud

Gearhead
Established Member
I just separated last June, 10 years as a Chinese linguist. I can't give you the details of what we did but most people can figure it out. I spent a year and a half in Monterey, California learning Chinese, listening, reading writing speaking etc, then 5 months TDY to Goodfellow for intel school. My first duty station was Hawaii. The first 6 years of my career I spent my off duty time building hotrods in the auto hobby shop.
I don't have a Bachelors but my experience was accepted in lieu of when I got out this past summer. Also the TS/SCI clearance helped out some too. I'm a contractor now; I get paid to do Google searches in Chinese.
I've been to China twice, speaking the language helps out a lot.

Last edited:

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
GAYYYYYY! join the Navy !!!
jk i hear security forces get deployed a lot though, like a whole lot. good luck with your process, just remember the military is what you make out of it. keep your head up even when the times get tough, cause they will. stay strong and good luck!

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
GAYYYYYY! join the Navy !!!
jk i hear security forces get deployed a lot though, like a whole lot. good luck with your process, just remember the military is what you make out of it. keep your head up even when the times get tough, cause they will. stay strong and good luck!

:lol:

My dad served in the Navy for 20 years. Retired as a Chief and has a lot of pride. Every time I tell him about my progress with this he mutters something about how I should've gone to the Navy recruiter. lol

Graves

Established Member
SIGINT (1N2) is what I do. Very gratifying, though your duty station selections are slim.
There are many opportunities and doors that open in this AFSC. Even 1N4 & 1N5. (analyst & linguist)

I'd look into those, if I were you.

MDK210

F150 Rep
Established Member
Damn career feild changes. Our new badge is gay as hell. I'm a 2E2 so we had the maintenance badge. Did you get a peice when they were giving the SRB for 3C0s?

YES SIR! I was in Afghanistan at the time too so i got a nice little $20K bonus tax free! Helps that I re-enlisted Dec 26th as well so the extra $2K I get every X-mas is pretty nice. They could make the new AFSC badge rainbow gay for all I care at that price. :banana:

Last edited:

korizmo

I like Lamp
Established Member
I have been in for 6 years as now a 3D0X3. I got the the shaft on the merger. I wanted X2 but noooooo this shop wanted me. I will be cross training if I have to stay in this crap job. It makes good money on the outside, but I can't deal with it.

Air Force is the way to go. Don't do any kind of Aircraft maintenance jobs cause those people work crazy hours(brother-in-law and best friend are one). Don't do security forces unless you want to be a cop and deploy alot. Other than that enjoy your stay....

As for bases if you are over 21 GO TO OSAN!!! That assignment is awesome for a single person. I just came from there and had a blast even though I was married.

Last edited:

svtcobrar2004

Established Member
another cop (security forces) here and i'm in Korea right now. i wont be deploying at all. the job makes me lol sometimes with the crap cops have to put up with but we have fun =)

Users who are viewing this thread