AIRAID Cold Air Intakes for 5.0L GT and 2.3L EcoBoost - More Details and Availability

Airaid Filters

Established Member
We're still doing a bunch of testing but I managed to get a few shots of the GT intake installed, just in case anyone was interested. :)

2015gt-2_zps8b9c7974.jpeg

2015gt-1_zps79349a29.jpeg

2015gt_zps68f8bdf1.jpeg

ArabianOak

Established Member
any update on shipping these? also, some website have had big differences in pricing...whats the best deal we can get and from where?

onlya302

Rise to the Challenege
Established Member
Very good questions. We want to make it clear that neither of these intakes have currently obtained a CARB EO number that would make them legal for use or sale in California, or in states that have adopted CA emissions standards. They will be submitted for the emissions process here shortly.

The short answer to your question is both. In order for an intake company (or any other manufacturer of aftermarket components, for that matter) to obtain a CARB EO number that certifies the product is emissions legal (in California), they must go through a lengthy process with the state. There's quite a bit to it, and all aspects of the product are evaluated to make sure that the product does not impact emissions or interfere with emissions control devices on the vehicle. This has to happen for each and every model and each and every engine for each and every model year. What this means is that let's say we gain approval for the '15 Mustang EcoBoost, for example, and the '16 Mustangs end up being a carry-over, meaning nothing changes. We'll still have to submit for approval for model year '16. Same with the 5.0L, same with the 3.7L. It's a lengthy and complicated process, and some manufacturers choose not to mess with it, which is why they don't have EO numbers for their products. Other times there are design elements that are deemed to interfere with emissions equipment, such as a carbon trap that's present in a factory intake tube that ends up getting removed when the tube is replaced with an aftermarket one. Because carbon traps are considered part of the factory emissions equipment, this could impact the ability of the product to be deemed emissions legal. There are many other examples where design could impact emissions legality. If it sounds complicated, that's because it is.

Great explanation!

Another reason most companies don't get EO's is because it is fairly expensive and can be quite intensive. The testing isn't the same as going down to your local smog station and you are in/out in half an hour, you have to go through the same testing as the OEM's do for new cars. I've heard from multiple companies that have EO's that they have taken in bone stock new vehicles (with the required 4000 miles etc...) to be baselined before adding their product and having the car fail, Dodges are really bad about that...

Airaid Filters

Established Member
Great explanation!

Another reason most companies don't get EO's is because it is fairly expensive and can be quite intensive. The testing isn't the same as going down to your local smog station and you are in/out in half an hour, you have to go through the same testing as the OEM's do for new cars. I've heard from multiple companies that have EO's that they have taken in bone stock new vehicles (with the required 4000 miles etc...) to be baselined before adding their product and having the car fail, Dodges are really bad about that...

Thanks! Yes, it is both expensive and time consuming. We've had the process take as much as two years to complete from start to finish. Average time is 8 months to a year. Not that we're complaining of course. It's just what it takes, and the reasons behind why those regulations are in place are well-intentioned. That doesn't happen all that much anymore with the box stock stuff failing, but that's not to say it hasn't happened.

908ssp

Established Member
That looks like an airbox that might be worth considering. The competition has a lot of catching up to do to even get close to the stock air box which is a huge improvement ove anything that has come before.

With Helmholtz resonator removed.

IMG_2547_zps6f2aa546.jpg

It is even wider that it looks in the photo.

IMG_2548_zpse6ec46da.jpg

Ribs direct the airflow up towards the very deeply folded panel filter.

P1000569_zpse28c51d5.jpg

Last edited:

ATTFighter

Established Member
So, when installing a CAI on a 2011-2014 GT you would need a tune with install what has changed with the new 2015 mustang that this CAI does not require a tune?

Airaid Filters

Established Member
So, when installing a CAI on a 2011-2014 GT you would need a tune with install what has changed with the new 2015 mustang that this CAI does not require a tune?

Um, you are mistaken with our 11-14 GT kits...they do not need a tune. If you pull out the MVT (the removable insert that comes with the intake tube), then you would need a tune. With very few exceptions, all of our kits are designed to work with the factory tuning. There are many, many differences between the '14 and '15 intakes because they fit very different cars, but among the differences is that the '15s do not have the removable tube insert anymore.

908ssp

Established Member
dam...can I remove my stock resonator too?

908 SSP, what are your thoughts on the stock airbox??

Sure the Helmholtz resonator does nothing except nullify some specific sounds. i also removed the sound tube another silly waste of money that could have been spent better else where.

From now on all those open air boxes should be called what they are hot air box. The Airaid box looks terrific and the stock Ford airbox looks amazing much better than any of the hot air boxes out there.

ArabianOak

Established Member
Um, you are mistaken with our 11-14 GT kits...they do not need a tune. If you pull out the MVT (the removable insert that comes with the intake tube), then you would need a tune. With very few exceptions, all of our kits are designed to work with the factory tuning. There are many, many differences between the '14 and '15 intakes because they fit very different cars, but among the differences is that the '15s do not have the removable tube insert anymore.

OK I ordered this today from LMR...

It says it will be drop shipped from the manufacturer which I am assuming is you...

Any idea when I can expect it?

Thanks!

Airaid Filters

Established Member
Sorry guys, we were all tied up with SEMA last week...it was a great show, by the way!

OK I ordered this today from LMR...

It says it will be drop shipped from the manufacturer which I am assuming is you...

Any idea when I can expect it?

Thanks!

They started shipping last Tuesday, so you should be receiving yours any day now. Thanks for your order!

I just want to ask what makes this worth $200 more than the MMR intake for the Ecoboost?

The two intakes couldn't be more different. We would suggest doing some research and deciding the answer for yourself. Everyone's wants, priorities, quality standards, and budgets are different.

What are the gains?

Believe me, I've been hounding R&D for numbers every day...I should have official numbers shortly and you guys will be the first to know.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I saw both of these intakes in person at SEMA. As with everything we've tested from Airaid the quality looks absolutely 2nd to none.

Users who are viewing this thread