Air Silencer

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by KingKobra
so they would not go through the same fiasco that they had to go through in circa 2001, where they overstated the HP on their Cobras
It was the 1999 model year. :)

KingKobra

Established Member
yea, I wasn't exacty sure there....

oh, and I think you were asked to bring your car in to the dealer for a performance mod or something that would get the HP levels up to par?

Of course, I just remember reading about that.

silvercoffin

Established Member
hp and silencer

I have seen the dynos and talked to Chris WInter Crazyhorse Racing and MMFF MAg

There was significant rear wheel gain from removing the silencer and installing k+N between 15-20 gain at the rear! So I dont think that the SC is effected by the small change. I have heard that if you remove the air box then you start sucking in hotter air. The recommendation Chris giave me was leave in the air box just remove the silencer. The SC has an intercooler anyway so I find it hard to believe that the small change will effect the temp of the air that much. I also found it hard to believe that this mod would allow more air to enter the engine, but the dyno speaks for itself.

As for 390 being wrong??? NO WAY check the dynos the car has run between 350 and 375 stock so is 390 (which would be at the engine) wrong. Not from what I have been told.

The links not working anymore to the dynos. So no definetive proof but ask around.

Superchip with the kn and removed silencer was running 400 at the rear!

or
exhaust x pipe and cat back with kn and silencer remove 400 at rear!

Combine the two and who knows!

I say do all you can without effecting the warrenty (and run mid to low 12s)
kn
silencer
superchip
nittos
shifter
(THEY SO NOT EFFECT WARRENTY AND IF A DEALER SAID THEY DO YOU CAN REMOVE THEM ALL ANYWAY)

EXHAUST X PIPE, PULLEY, can effect the warrenty although there is some debate on the exhaust. Dealer where i bought my car said x pipe would effec the warrenty in the event of engine trouble. On my GT the dealer didnt care about the x pipe or cat back.

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
I know that many filters will work OK, but K&N answered my questions about the '03 Cobra with this answer:

"There is no FIPK produced for the 2003 Mustang as of yet. Please check back at the end of the year for status.

Thank you,
Tech Support
K&N Engineering, Inc.
1.800.858.3333"

:beer:

silvercoffin

Established Member
k+N

the air filter has not changed from 99-01 gt and cobras

I asked the one for the 01gt it fits fine

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Re: k+N

Originally posted by silvercoffin
the air filter has not changed from 99-01 gt and cobras

I asked the one for the 01gt it fits fine
Actually it hasn't changed since the '96 Cobra...:-D

KingKobra

Established Member
Just Picked up the K&N E-0945

Black2001Cobra,

I just picked up the K&N E-0945 and I'm itchin' to install it, but I can't until I get out of work. :rollseyes

This thing looks big:eek: , can it be installed with that filter shield-housing-cover-condom thing over it, or does the filter sit 'open' under the hood?:shrug:

I'm very tempted to remove the silencer, just to see if I notice a performance gain/loss. :coolman:

Thanks!

K.K.

silvercoffin

Established Member
easy

the silencer has a lip on it. You just remove the air filter which is the harder part. Remove the air intake right at the engine. I tried just removing the air hose down by the air box and its much harder to slide out the air filter that way

Once you have the filter out just stick your hand inside the air box and squeeze the silencer and pop it out of the air box towards the fender then the whole thing slides right out of the fender. Theres nothing actually holding the silencer in except for the rubber lip inside the air box.

Cant hurt anything as long as you are careful with all the wires mass air wires you can unplug them just to be careful.

If you forget to plug all the wires back together you will set off the check engine light when you turn the car back on. You can just unplug the battery to reset the computer.

silvercoffin

Established Member
air box

oh yeah

It was recommended to me by CHris WInter Crazyhorse Racing that I leave the air box with the kn in it. According to him that shields the kn from hot air . The filter will still be aimed right at the fender getting cold air but more of it.

KingKobra

Established Member
So, remove the silencer, but keep the filter housing, aka, Filter-Cover, right?

If so, I could see how this would keep the heat from the filter, since the filter-housing hole faces the open hole in the fender.

K.K.

Users who are viewing this thread