Air Filter / Tuning

129saleen

Saleen poster
Established Member
I don't know if this is a dumb question but I am getting my car re-tuned soon and want to know if getting a bigger filter will = more hp?

My air filter is in the fender so I don't see it that often..
Well, I was cleaning it today and realized it looks really small compared to other filters out there..

I guess why I am asking is because how I see it, it does not matter how big the filter is if the rest of the parts can not flow more air..
If this is true how can I figure out if it can take more air? and If I'm correct more air can = more potential hp?
There is plenty of more room in my fenderwell and I can make another small tube to curve it downwards if necessary.

Mods on my car are 1.7 KB, bbk intake, headers, o/r h, 75mm tb, 90mm MAF, 42lb injectors, exhaust, built/forged internals, etc etc..

Below pictures are comparing mine to my bros..
His came with his whipple sc kit for an 08 mustang/mine is the bbk cold air intake and there is an obvious size difference..
I can fit mine in his to filter his filtered air.....

Iphone006.jpg

Iphone005.jpg

01yellercobra

Established Member
Your filter is probably fine for your set up. I do remember back in my carb days having to go with a taller air filter on a big block. But I think that also had to with the shape of the bottom of the filter housing into the carb horn. If you can find a CFM rating for your filter that will tell you if you should look into something bigger.

129saleen

Saleen poster
Established Member
Your filter is probably fine for your set up. I do remember back in my carb days having to go with a taller air filter on a big block. But I think that also had to with the shape of the bottom of the filter housing into the carb horn. If you can find a CFM rating for your filter that will tell you if you should look into something bigger.

Yea I have been looking for any ratings on the filter but haven't been able to find any..

this is the kit I have BBK: 1996-2004 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L Cold Air Intake System

Users who are viewing this thread