Air filter cleaning intervals?

Teej281

Established Member
Hey all,
Had a JLT CAI on the car for about almost 4 year now. And as you're probably guessing, you are right. I havent changed or cleaned the filter since its been put on. I havent even seen the filter since it was installed. So at this point, I'm thinking that this thing might be beyond cleaning, as its down in the inner fender. Its sucked up water before, and gets a lot more exposed to the elements down there. I was planning on converting my JLT from a CAI to an RAI and thought this might be a good time to do it, seeing that I might be needing a new filter anyways.

Thoughts on this guys?

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
If it's anything like my filter, you should be able to clean it no problem.

they are durable.

Just wash it with soap and water and depending on the filter color (mine is red), you should see it cleaning up like new.

then follow the instructions for cleaning, drying, and re-oiling the filter. Let it dry after oiling and install it.

You might be surprised at how well it has endured.

A visual inspection will tell everything. Obviously, it is a paper, filter, you will need a new one, but most aftermarket filters are like a rubbery net. Meant to be cleaned and reused for a long time.

Tims97SVT

Established Member
Teej, your well past due on cleaning the air filter. If you want to convert to an RAI I would sugguest you try to trade someone instead of hacking up a good part. With the filter, I would say make the switch to an amsoil non oiled filter.

Teej281

Established Member
Tim, all I have to do is take the part that goes down into the fender off and relocate the filter into the engine bay. No cutting or anything like that. Just have to get the new filter, the heat shield, and maf adapter if I cannot use the 90mm housing I have at the house you gave me ;)

Tims97SVT

Established Member
Tim, all I have to do is take the part that goes down into the fender off and relocate the filter into the engine bay. No cutting or anything like that. Just have to get the new filter, the heat shield, and maf adapter if I cannot use the 90mm housing I have at the house you gave me ;)

Teej, sounds like a plan! I do highly suggest the amsoil air filter.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a S&B filter that came with my jlt rai I'll sell you. Has less than 2k miles on it 30.00 shipped pm if interested. Add 20.00 bucks if you need a 90mm maf adapter, bought one from jlt and went a different route, comes with hardware.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread