Ahh! need advice!

CWJameson

Cobra Commander
Established Member
:shrug:
Once apon a time there was a bone stock Silver cobra

It was sold to me :rolling:

Now it has LFP Heat Exchanger/Icebox res 2.8 upper ngk tr 6 dynotune
steed triax short throw shifter... JLT CAI,Borla Stingers...

Now i have a problem :dw:

:cuss: Wheel Hop! :cuss:

So! i have been reading everything svtperformance has to offer and am still confused...

The goal here is to have a 11 second street car that i can go hit 11's in the quarter mile that is daily driven...

So

SRA or Build up the IRS!

Im considering building up the IRS but as usual i usually run shitty tires cause its my daily driver...

but i want to eliminate the wheel hop so i can spin all day and not have to worry about exploding a half shaft...

Some of the local shops have told me..

for 700 out the door i can get bushings and a IRS brace installed and i won't have anymore wheel hop (but usually don't believe people when they trying to sell me something so i want others opinions :))

and i have found that alot of guys just find someone who wants a IRS and they will swap it for you no charge to me

but its usually a stock 99-04 GT rearend
(Dunno how strong those are...)

To finalize we want a 11 second Quartermile (11.99 is fine) that won't be snapping half shafts!

that can be easily daily driven!

I think i have the power part done the car puts down 440/440 (No tricks no ice in the box not even a fan on the car on the dyno)

but what to do with my rear end!

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions/experiences!:beer:

blackvenom77

killer cobra
Established Member
Since it's a DD I'd get you a fresh set of Nitto drag radials, Billetflow IRS brace and brackets. If it still hops after that then try the IRS bushings.

You will hate a solid rear compared to the IRS in a daily driver.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Since it's a DD I'd get you a fresh set of Nitto drag radials, Billetflow IRS brace and brackets. If it still hops after that then try the IRS bushings.

You will hate a solid rear compared to the IRS in a daily driver.

Well said...I have an IRS brace for protection...MM Diff Bushings which help some, but the greatest difference maker...Drag Radials! Air them down to about 22-24 psi 315/35/17 on 10.5 inch rims and the hop is pretty much gone...this is with my Nittos...It can only get better when you go with Hoosiers or M/Ts because these have an even softer sidewall...:beer:
I wouldn't go solid...you will screw yourself in the longrun...BTW, what are they doin' for 700 bucks?

NXTNLNE

i just did the sra swap in my cobra and im kinda missing my irs now, if you have the doe to beef up the irs go for it

CWJameson

Cobra Commander
Established Member
Well said...I have an IRS brace for protection...MM Diff Bushings which help some, but the greatest difference maker...Drag Radials! Air them down to about 22-24 psi 315/35/17 on 10.5 inch rims and the hop is pretty much gone...this is with my Nittos...It can only get better when you go with Hoosiers or M/Ts because these have an even softer sidewall...:beer:
I wouldn't go solid...you will screw yourself in the longrun...BTW, what are they doin' for 700 bucks?

They were offering to do the IRS bushings and the brace

they said it would solve the wheel hop but i want other peoples opinions

Black Sex

Established Member
one thing nice about the SRA is its alot easier to jack up the rear of the car. With the IRS i thought it was a PITA. The ride differance isnt that bad. I think the front of my car rides rougher than the rear. Some days i think i should've kept the IRS and some days im glad i did what i did. When its nice out i drive mine daily. Its nothing for me to drive it 3-4 hrs down the interstate one way to go visit family. The swap is simple and basic if you decide to do that yourself. No special tools required. NO WORRY OF SNAPPING HALF-SHAFTS. If you get quality suspension parts it will handle and ride perfectly fine.

20psirabbit

Established Member
if i were you i'd start with a diff brace, diff mounts, and a set of nitto DRs. they cost a bit more than junk tires, but soft tires that don't spin last longer than hard tires that do spin and burn off.

twhitey

Established Member
The nittos took care of my wheel hop. Which would only happen with someone else in the car with me by myself it would spin. I bought bruces kit and an IRS brace I will get it on soon. A few people near me have stock IRS some with a Brace some without a lot making good power some over 600.
Try tires first

Users who are viewing this thread