aftermarket shifter question

Mr.Soup

complete modular newb
Established Member
Got one for christmas, the instructions are pretty straightforward however I was wondering if I should apply some lube to the inside of it as mine is dry and also should I use loc-tite on the bolts when installing it.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
What shifter did you get? Are you talking about the ball that goes into the tranny or the pivot point? I wouldn't bother with loc-tite. Make sure you use RTV when putting the new shifter in. Or get the Cobra Bob gaskets.

Mr.Soup

complete modular newb
Established Member
What shifter did you get? Are you talking about the ball that goes into the tranny or the pivot point? I wouldn't bother with loc-tite. Make sure you use RTV when putting the new shifter in. Or get the Cobra Bob gaskets.

i was referring to the pivot point, the shifter has a rubber boot on the top and bottom but it's dry inside. i didn't mention the brand because every time i see an aftermarket shifter topic on here if it's not an MGW the flaming starts and i don't want to hear it:D

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Do put blue loctite on the shifter handle bolts though. The ones that attaches what the shift knob screws on to to the shifter itself.

Predatorbird

Established Member
I was wondering the same thing. I have a Pro 5.0 coming any day now. I thought I remember seeing that the MGW's came prelubed at the pivot point.

Predatorbird

Established Member
I installed my Pro 5.0/MGW handle today. I got a brand new Pro 5.0 without the handle for a great deal on ebay. I haven't had time to drive it yet, it's raining and my g/f's car is blocking me in the garage.

The shifter did come prelubed.

Users who are viewing this thread